inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Celebrites who died in 2008

Written By: star80 on 01/02/09 at 5:15 pm

January

19 - Suzanne Pleshette, Actress "The Bob Newhart Show" dies from respiratory failure at 70

19 - John Stewart, Musician (Was a member of "The Kingston Trio" from 1961 - 1967 then had a solo career and the 1979 hit "Gold" which featured Stevie Nicks on back up vocals)

22 - Heath Ledger, Actor "Brokeback Mountain" dies from a drug overdose at 28

26 - Christian Brando (son of the late actor Marlon Brando) dies from pneumonia at 49

February

10 - Roy Scheider, Actor (Starred in the 1975 thriller "Jaws") dies from a staph infection at 75

March

2 - Jeff Healey, Musician (Had the 1988 hit "Angel Eyes") dies from cancer at 41

16 - Ivan Dixon, Actor "Hogan's Heroes" dies from kidney failure at 76

19 - Paul Scofield, Actor (A Man For All Seasons; Quiz Show) dies from leukemia at 86

24 - Richard Widmark, Actor dies at 93

April

5 - Charlton Heston, Actor dies from pneumonia at 84

22 - Paul Davis, Pop Singer (Had the 1978 hit "I Go Crazy") dies from a heart attack at 60

May

8 - Eddy Arnold, Singer "Make The World Go Away" dies at 89

26 - Sydney Pollack, Producer (Produced movies like "The Way We Were" in 1977 and "Absence Of Malice" in 1981) dies from stomach cancer at 73

28 - Dick Martin, Comedian (Was one half of the duo "Rowan and Martin" who produced the comedy tv show "Laugh In" from 1968 - 1973) dies from breathing problems at 86

29 - Harvey Korman, Comedian/Actor "The Carol Burnett Show" dies from abdominal aorta aneurysm at 81

June

1 - Yves Saint Laurent, Designer dies from brain cancer at 71

2 - Bo Diddley, Legendary Blues Musician dies from heart failure at 79

22 - George Carlin, Stand Up Comedian dies from heart failure at 71

July

22 - Estelle Getty, Actress dies from natural causes 84

August

9 - Bernie Mac, Comedian/Actor (Starred in movies like "Friday" and on the tv show "Bernie Mac") dies from pneumonia at 50

10 - Isaac Hayes, R & B Singer (Had the 1971 movie hit "Shaft") dies from a stroke at 65

September

26 - Paul Newman, Actor (Starred in films like "Cool Hand Luke" and "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof") dies from lung cancer at 83

October

15 - Edie Adams, Singer dies from cancer and pneumonia at 81

December

1 - Paul Benedict, Actor (Played Bentley on the tv show "The Jeffersons") dies at 70

5 - Nina Foch, Actress dies from the blood disorder myelodysplasia at 84

12 - Van Johnson, Actor (Played in the 1968 movie "Where Angels Go Trouble Follows") dies from natural causes at 92

25 - Eartha Kitt, Actress (Played Cat Woman on the 1960s tv show "Batman") dies from colon cancer at 81

Subject: Re: Celebrites who died in 2008

Written By: whistledog on 01/02/09 at 11:14 pm

Some great talent sadly gone :\'(

I think the one that saddened me the most was Estelle Getty purely because I was a die hard fan of 'Empty Nest'

Jeff Healey died a one hit wonder in the US.  It's a shame the rest of the world didn't get to enjoy his music the way his fellow Canadians did.  If anyone gets the chance, check out his 1990 hit cover of The Beatles' 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.  Simply wonderful!

Written By: Stompgal on 01/03/09 at 10:35 am

Here are some deaths that shocked me in 2008:

Jeremy Beadle died on 30th January 2008 aged 59. He had pneumonia
Mark Speight was found dead on 13th April 2008. He was 42 when he hanged himself near Paddington Station.
Jennifer Hudson's mother, brother and nephew were murdered in October 2008

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/09 at 11:28 am

Two deaths that I felt sad for:

November 4 - Michael Crichton, American author and producer (b. 1942)

November 18 - Reg Varney, comedy actor (Stan from On The Buses) (b. 1916)

December 18 - Jack Douglas. comedy actor (b. 1927)

December 24 - Harold Pinter, English playwright (b. 1930)

Written By: whistledog on 01/05/09 at 1:44 am

And we mustn't forget these deaths that were very sad ...

Robert Prosky (December 8) co-star of 'Hill Street Blues' and many movies such as 'Last Action Hero' and 'Mrs. Doubtfire'

Jack Narz (October 15) Game Show Host

Bill Melendez (September 2) Animator, most notably of Peanuts cartoons

Julius J. Carry III (August 19) Sho'Nuff from 'The Last Dragon

Dave Powers (July 3) Directed every episode of Three's Company

Danny Federici (April 17) Member of Springsteen's E-Street Band

Anthony Minghella (March 18) Director of such films as 'Cold Mountain' and 'The English Patient'

Ron Leavitt (February 10) writer of 'Married ... With Children'

Kenny MacLean (I forget what date he passed) Canadian singer/songwriter/musician and former member of 80s band Platinum Blonde

Check for new replies or respond here...