inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The man who invented the doner kebab has died

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/09 at 7:47 am

The man who invented the doner kebab has died

Mahmut Aygun, was suffering from cancer and died in Berlin at the age of 87.

Known as the "kebab king" he was born in Turkey and moved to Germany at the age of 16 to open a snack stall. He invented the doner kebab nearly 40 years ago.

Kebab meat, consisiting of roast lamb and spices, had traditionally been served with rice but in a moment of inspiration Mr Aygun saw that the future lay in putting the meat inside a pitta bread.

That allowed customers who had been drinking to wander off into the night with their food and eat it as they stumbled home.

Mr Aygun once said: "I thought how much easier it would be if they could take their food with them."

The first of the new snacks was served on March 2, 1971, at Hasir, his restaurant in Berlin.

It was called a doner kebab after the Turkish word "dondurmek" which means a rotating roast.

Mr Aygun went on to invent the yoghurt sauce often served with a doner kebab.

The subsequent popularisiation of the doner kebab in the UK led to many traditional fish and chip shops going bust.

In Berlin his death was greeted with sadness and one headline read: "Thanks, Mahmut!"

Subject: Re: The man who invented the doner kebab has died

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/24/09 at 8:50 am

I cannot imagine what my alcoholic ex husband would have ever lived on if this man had never invented the doner kebab !

Written By: Stompgal on 01/29/09 at 6:21 am

I heard this news on the radio. Shortly after the doner kebab inventor passed on, there had been shocking news that the average doner kebab may contain between 1000 and 2000 calories.

Written By: Davester on 01/29/09 at 6:27 am

Oh yeah, I've had these, though I didn't know what they were called.  Mystery meat.  Taste best after an all night drinking binge...

This is served in every country around the Med.  We used to joke that it was horse meat or dog.  They're so good that I didn't even chew it, just open up, cram it in, and let it slide down and don't make a dirty joke about that cuz I see it coming...

Check for new replies or respond here...