inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eastenders Actress Wendy Richard dies at 65

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 7:20 am

Actress Wendy Richard dies at 65

Former EastEnders actress Wendy Richard has died aged 65, her agent has confirmed.

The star, who played Pauline Fowler in the BBC One soap opera, had been suffering from cancer.

Her agent Kevin Francis said: "She was incredibly brave and retained her sense of humour right to the end."

Last October, Richard revealed she had an aggressive, terminal form of cancer. Soon after that she married her long-term partner John Burns.

In January, she was told the disease had spread to her right kidney and bones.

Francis said the star passed away in the Harley Street Clinic in London with her husband by her side.

The actress also appeared in sitcoms Are You Being Served?, Dad's Army and Grace & Favour.

Subject: Re: Eastenders Actress Wendy Richard dies at 65

Written By: Henk on 02/26/09 at 7:31 am

Sad, sad news. :\'(  She'll be sorely missed.

I never really watched Eastenders, but I did watch Are You Being Served? Miss Brahms was one of my favorite characters.

RIP Wendy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 8:27 am

In 1962, her distinct cockney vocals also helped get her to #1 on the UK singles chart — uncredited, on the single, "Come Outside", by Mike Sarne.

She also appears in a missing scene on the Beatles 1965 movie 'Help!'. Her scene is on the special features DVD. However, she doesn't appear in the final version of the movie.

Written By: Gis on 02/26/09 at 8:34 am

I think the Americans on these boards will remember her better as Miss Brahms.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/26/09 at 8:38 am

Yes! Miss Brahms.  Oh, this is sad.  :\'(

Written By: Paul on 02/26/09 at 2:43 pm

In 1962, her distinct cockney vocals also helped get her to #1 on the UK singles chart — uncredited, on the single, "Come Outside", by Mike Sarne.

In actual fact, she was credited! Very small letters on the record label, I'll grant you...but credited all the same!

She remade the song in 1986 with AYBS co-star Mike Berry (a 60s chart act in his own right), but this is best avoided!

RIP Wendy...

Written By: Stompgal on 02/27/09 at 3:56 pm

This is such sad and shocking news, even though I'm not a soap fan. I heard about Wendy's passing on the radio shortly after my arrival from an outing to Piccadilly Circus and Wood Green yesterday.

RIP Wendy

Written By: gmann on 03/01/09 at 9:11 am

This is sad news. In my pre-satellite TV youth, I spent way too much time watching British programs like AYBS? and Dad's Army on public television. Wendy was great in both, as well as Eastenders.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/06/09 at 7:48 am

RIP Ms Brahms - a talented lady indeed.

Check for new replies or respond here...