inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sylvia Plath's son commits suicide

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/09 at 10:47 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090323/wl_uk_afp/britainusliteraturesuicide

Nicholas Hughes, the son of poets Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath, hanged himself at his Alaska home after battling depression for years.
Sylvia Plath's most famous work, "The Bell Jar" details the poet's harrowing struggles with mental illness, particularly depression, which led to her own suicide by gassing in February, 1963.  Plath's work is still widely read in colleges and remains popular, especially with troubled youths.  It is important to emphasize Plath is considered to have literary merit apart transcending the subject of mental illness. 

While Nicholas Hughes was not a celebrity himself, he did have a successful career as a professor of ocean sciences at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

There is increasing evidence depression and suicidal behavior runs in families.  Mr. Hughes' suicide is another example of this.  I take note of these cases because I have had depression my entire life and the illness is prevalent on both sides of my family. 

What could have been done to stop Mr. Hughes from succumbing to suicide the way his mother did?  Quite possibly nothing.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

Subject: Re: Sylvia Plath's son commits suicide

Written By: Jessica on 03/23/09 at 11:38 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090323/wl_uk_afp/britainusliteraturesuicide

Nicholas Hughes, the son of poets Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath, hanged himself at his Alaska home after battling depression for years.
Sylvia Plath's most famous work, "The Bell Jar" details the poet's harrowing struggles with mental illness, particularly depression, which led to her own suicide by gassing in February, 1963.  Plath's work is still widely read in colleges and remains popular, especially with troubled youths.  It is important to emphasize Plath is considered to have literary merit apart transcending the subject of mental illness. 

While Nicholas Hughes was not a celebrity himself, he did have a successful career as a professor of ocean sciences at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

There is increasing evidence depression and suicidal behavior runs in families.  Mr. Hughes' suicide is another example of this.  I take note of these cases because I have had depression my entire life and the illness is prevalent on both sides of my family. 

What could have been done to stop Mr. Hughes from succumbing to suicide the way his mother did?  Quite possibly nothing.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

Poor guy. :(

I agree with you that depression/mental illness runs in the family.  I have the anxiety/depression, my dad has depression, my sister has it, my mom has it, my grandmother had it.....you see where it's going.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/23/09 at 11:50 am

This is really sad news.

:\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 03/29/09 at 6:19 am

He lived with a terrible legacy.  His mothers suicide, and then the bashing his father got by people who blamed him.  The notoriety.  All of it very sad.  RIP  :\'(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/29/09 at 11:36 am

Now scientist are looking at if suicidal tendency are inheritable.  Really wouldn't surprise me if it is.  It's so sad that he went in that manner.  RIP Nicholas. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 2:36 pm

He lived with a terrible legacy.  His mothers suicide, and then the bashing his father got by people who blamed him.  The notoriety.  All of it very sad.  RIP   :\'(

Plath's fans are very protective of her persona and loved to villainize Hughes, and Hughes was easy to villainize as a philanderer through three marriages.  Remember, his second wife, Assia Wevill, murdered their four-year-old daughter before asphyxiating herself (in contrast to Sylvia, who sealed the room to protect her children from the fumes). 

I can only imagine how Nicholas' sister Frieda Hughes feels now.  I don't know much about her other than she paints and writes children's books.  No word on her state of mind.  It is impressive the Hughes children succeeded as well as they did considering the circumstances.
:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/30/09 at 7:50 pm

Plath's fans are very protective of her persona and loved to villainize Hughes, and Hughes was easy to villainize as a philanderer through three marriages.  Remember, his second wife, Assia Wevill.....

I heard she did that because hubby wanted her to change her first name to "Bo"...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 8:38 pm

I heard she did that because hubby wanted her to change her first name to "Bo"...

***grrrooaaans!***
:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...