inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Writer and MP Clement Freud dies aged 84

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/09 at 1:02 am

Broadcaster and former Liberal MP Sir Clement Freud has died aged 84.

A statement from his family said Sir Clement had died on Wednesday evening at his London home.

He is survived by his wife of 59 years, the actress Jill Freud, five children and 17 grandchildren. His funeral will be held next week.

A grandson of psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, Sir Clement had a varied career as a cookery expert, press columnist and radio game show contestant.

Subject: Re: Writer and MP Clement Freud dies aged 84

Written By: Stompgal on 04/23/09 at 8:52 am

I was on holiday in Herefordshire when I heard the news. My dad was watching the news last Thursday morning and I was in the bathroom. When I left the bathroom, I saw archive footage of Sir Clement on the TV (including the set-up for the radio programme 'Just a Minute') and I asked my dad if he died. He tod me it was true.

I will mostly remember Sir Clement Freud as a panelist on the BBC Radio 4 programme 'Just a Minute' and I hope Nicholas Parsons attends his funeral.

RIP Sir Clement.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/09 at 10:18 am

I was in an hounoured position to attain his autograph after attending a recording of 'Just a Minute' and he told me that he never gives autographs. At the time of his death on the radio there was a report on his non-autogrpah signing and at one time he told the reasons why to the person for the next fifteen minutes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/09 at 5:27 am

Gordon Brown joined mourners including Stephen Fry and Bono at the funeral of Sir Clement Freud in London.

The PM told the service at a church off Fleet Street that Sir Clement was "a national treasure" and "institution".

Sir Clement's son, PR executive Matthew Freud, spoke of his father's love of writing, food and gambling.

Former Liberal MP Sir Clement, who would have been celebrating his 85th birthday, died at his desk at his London home on 15 April.

Sir Clement, the grandson of psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, is survived by his wife, actress Jill Freud, five children and 17 grandchildren.

Mr Brown, a former rector at the University of Edinburgh, told the congregation he first met Sir Clement in 1974 when his friend held the same position at Dundee University.

"Clement Freud had the greatest asset of all, a wonderful wife, Jill, and a wonderful family that have done so much for our national life," he said.

The prime minister also gave a reading from The Wedding at Cana.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/09 at 8:04 am

Mr Brown, a former rector at the University of Edinburgh, told the congregation he first met Sir Clement in 1974 when his friend held the same position at Dundee University.

I wonder if there is a pew in his rectory? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...