inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Death of an Australian legend.....bud Tingwell

Written By: holicman on 05/15/09 at 7:14 pm

Started his career in breaker morant, probably more recently noted as the lawyer who took on the bigwigs for the main character the Castle.

Im sure that most people wouldve seen at least 1 of his films.

Bud tingwell, passed away from prostate cancer aged 86.

Rip Bud.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2009/05/15/bud-tingwell.html

Subject: Re: Death of an Australian legend.....bud Tingwell

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/20/09 at 10:02 am

As someone who has met and worked with Charles 'Bud' Tingwell over the years I will have to beg to differ with you that his career "started" with Breaker Morant!

By the time that was made in 1980 he was already considered the elder statesman of Australian film and television, having starred in many US films and UK tv productions from the 1940's to the 1960s, along with uncountable tv productions and films and stage productions in Australia right up until his death at age 86. In addition he has directed many tv productions through the 70s 80s and 90s and as a result gave many of our current "big names" their introduction into the industry.

He will be greatly missed by all of those up and coming actors that he mentored, and by everyone he ever co-starred alongside. He will also be greatly missed by the audiences. For those who experienced his one man plays in recent years - it was an unforgettable memory.

Written By: holicman on 05/20/09 at 6:40 pm

fair enough, I thought Breaker morant was an older film, I thought it was in the 50's. My mistake :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/21/09 at 1:05 am

If you want to check Bud out in something from that era try The Desert Rats which he starred in opposite Richard Burton and James Mason in 1953. He was a very handsome man back then.

His long and varied career is more detailed on his blog (now being updated by his daughter in recent days).

http://www.budtingwell.com.au/blog/

Check for new replies or respond here...