inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Walter Cronkite dies

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/09 at 7:21 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Cronkite

And that's the way it is.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

Subject: Re: Walter Cronkite dies

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/09 at 8:07 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Cronkite

And that's the way it is.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

and you were there  *wasn't that his other quote*

the last of the great anchors.... a true american icon.  :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/17/09 at 8:10 pm

Goodbye, Mr. Cronkite...  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/17/09 at 8:11 pm

RIP Walter...   :\'(    You were da man.  :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/17/09 at 8:33 pm

There will never be another one like him. 

RIP Walter Cronkite  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: Frank on 07/17/09 at 8:58 pm

He was the best ever. Watched him quite often ( with my parents) back in the day.

A great loss.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/17/09 at 10:03 pm

How sad.  We've lost a legend and a one-of a kind.  Sad!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Walter Cronkite

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/17/09 at 10:14 pm

A tearful farewell to the greatest newsman who ever lived. I always had a little soft spot for Uncle Walter, and I feel sorry for all the people who have to suffer through the crap news shows and idiot broadcasters that never would have made the grade on Cronkite's watch. I truly look forward to CBS's tribute to him Sunday night in place of "60 Minutes", no doubt Uncle Walter will come back to rattle chains in the attics of Dan Rather and Andy Rooney! At least I have a little piece of him to share with my children one day, I taped all 40 episodes of the PBS animated miniseries "Liberty's Kids", in which Uncle Walter gave voice to America's first newsman, Dr. Ben Franklin.
Rest In Peace, Walter. You'll never be forgotten.

And That's The Way It Is,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 07/18/09 at 3:55 am

:\'(

Solid newsman, from the days when the television aired solid news.  The news and the man are both missed.

Written By: ninny on 07/18/09 at 5:37 am

He was a great newscaster R.I.P. Walter :\'(

Written By: nally on 07/18/09 at 4:20 pm

He was a great newscaster R.I.P. Walter :\'(

He sure was. I watched recaps of his life and legacy on various news channels last night, including CNN and my local news.

He lived a good long life.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/18/09 at 5:47 pm

Walter knew how to do TV news that man is an icon.  RIP Mr. Cronkite. :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/19/09 at 11:12 am

After I heard about the passing of Walter Cronkite, I happened upon this website which has several videos of him reminiscing about his career and how he covered some of the turbulent events of the 1960s.

http://www.museum.tv/

Check out the one about the space program, the way Cronkite goes about covering it is pure genius.

Written By: Paul on 07/19/09 at 11:53 am

Obviously not known much in Britain, but he'll always be remembered for this...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/09 at 12:59 pm

We were watching MSNBC when the news broke. (It was obvious they had things queued up for when he did pass away.) Two things that were said really stuck out in my mind anyway. One woman (can't remember her name-Carlson? or something like that) said that Walter Cronkite always seems old. He did. When he announced the death of JFK, he wasn't that much older than I am now but he looked like he was older than Carlos.

The second thing was told by Hugh Downs. After the Monica Lewinsky broke, the Clintons were trying to vacation on Martha's Vineyard but the paparazzi were all over them. Walter offered for them to go out on his yacht-so for that day, they enjoyed themselves without the media hounding them. When they got back, then the paparazzi hounded Walter to find out what the Clintons talked about. Walter never told them. The funny thing is, Walter was part of the media but yet, he provided sanctuary FROM the media. How ironic.

RIP Walter. You have set a high standard and will be missed.

Cat   

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/09 at 6:41 pm

I'm watching the CBS special on Walter right now (they are running it instead of 60 Minutes).

One odd thing though.  With all the distinguished news and political figures they coulda booked for this show, why on earth did they get Robin Williams on?  That man is truly annoying.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/19/09 at 7:43 pm

I'm watching the CBS special on Walter right now (they are running it instead of 60 Minutes).

One odd thing though.  With all the distinguished news and political figures they coulda booked for this show, why on earth did they get Robin Williams on?  That man is truly annoying.

Maybe to some, but Robin was a close friend of Cronkite, starred with him in a Disney documentary on the animation process, and I must say, did the best and funniest impression of Uncle Walter of anyone in comedy! Robin will probably miss him as much as I will.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

P.S.: However, Jim Carrey also did a fine imitation of Walter in Bruce Almighty:

"And That's The Way It Is.
And That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles.
And That's The Way, Uh-huh Uh-huh, I Like It!"

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/29/09 at 12:43 pm

I only remember him on TV Specials....And "Bruce Almighty".

Check for new replies or respond here...