inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oldest WWI veteran Henry Allingham dies aged 113

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/09 at 4:22 am

Full report on BBC News Online

Henry Allingham, the world's oldest man and one of the last surviving World War I servicemen, has died at the age of 113, his care home has said.

Mr Allingham served with the Royal Naval Air Service in WWI, later transferring to the Royal Air Force at the time of its creation.

Bosses at his Brighton care home said everybody was "saddened by Henry's loss and our sympathy goes to his family".

Last month, Mr Allingham, born in 1896, became the world's oldest man.

His funeral will take place later this month at St Nicholas' Church in Brighton.

Mr Allingham, whose life has spanned three centuries and six monarchs, has five grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, 14 great-great grandchildren and one great-great-great grandchild.

His wife Dorothy, who he was married to for more than half a century, died in 1970.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown paid tribute to the war hero, calling him a "tremendous character".

"I had the privilege of meeting Henry many times. He was a tremendous character, one of the last representatives of a generation of tremendous characters," he said.

He added: "My thoughts are with his family as they mourn his passing but celebrate his life."

Subject: Re: Oldest WWI veteran Henry Allingham dies aged 113

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/09 at 5:12 pm

The Queen has led the tributes to Henry Allingham, the world's oldest man and one of the last surviving World War I servicemen, who has died aged 113.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said, on her behalf, he was of a generation who "sacrificed so much for us all".

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/18/09 at 5:40 pm

I would have like to have talked to him.  There's nothing like hearing about days gone by first hand.  RIP Henry, hope most of us live to see our 113.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/09 at 12:22 am

I think there are less 15 men* in the history of the world who have lived to a proven age surpassing 112 years.  Allingham was indeed in elite group.

*More women than men live to be "supercentennarians"

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/09 at 1:03 pm

It has been announced that Henry Allingham will have a public funeral with military honours.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/09 at 3:36 pm

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said his funeral would take place at St Nicholas Church in Brighton on 30 July.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/09 at 1:58 am

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said his funeral would take place at St Nicholas Church in Brighton on 30 July.
One of Britain's last World War I veterans will be buried later with military honours.

Henry Allingham, who was in the Royal Naval Air Service in the war and later with the RAF, was the world's oldest man when he died 12 days ago aged 113.

Since his death, the last WWI veteran in Britain, Harry Patch, has also died.

Hundreds of people are expected to attend Mr Allingham's funeral in Brighton, which will be followed by a flypast of five replica WWI aircraft.

Among the guests will be the Duchess of Gloucester, the Veterans Minister Kevan Jones and senior figures from the Royal Navy and the Air Force.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/15 at 2:25 pm

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12004717_870220589752026_5055170081840137813_n.jpg?oh=7d6f3db4f540cf2bef1357addc96f52a&oe=56662B69

Check for new replies or respond here...