inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Save Your Love singer Renato dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 4:34 pm

The male half of singing duo Renée and Renato, who had a UK number one hit in 1982 with Save Your Love, has died.

Former Italian waiter Renato Pagliari, 69, who lived in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, died in hospital last week after surgery for a brain tumour.

The Rome-born crooner also provided the voice behind the Walls ice-cream TV advert Just One Cornetto.

Renato is survived by his wife Maureen, son Remo, daughter Amanda, and three grandsons.

The singer entered the TV talent show New Faces in 1975 and caught the attention of songwriter Johnny Edward, who had written Save Your Love.

The song was eventually recorded in 1982 and became that year's Christmas number one single.

By the time it topped the charts, Renée had already joined another band.

The duo did attempt follow-up hits - Just One More Kiss and Jesus Loves Us All - but they flopped.

Renée later returned to private life but Renato still occasionally sang at his son's restaurant in Tamworth, Staffordshire, called Renato's.

Renato supported Aston Villa Football Club and during the early 1990s was asked by the then manager Ron Atkinson to sing Nessun Dorma at half time during a match.

Subject: Re: Save Your Love singer Renato dies

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/09 at 7:56 pm

R.I.P. to a great singer

I love that song 'Save Your Love'.  I have it on my Microsoft Zune for everyday listening 8)

Subject: Re: Save Your Love singer Renato dies

Written By: Henk on 08/06/09 at 2:28 pm

"Save Your Love" also topped the charts in Holland. It was one of the least successful #1 songs in history...

Of course non of that was Renato's fault. He was a great singer.

The Rome-born crooner also provided the voice behind the Walls ice-cream TV advert Just One Cornetto.

I only know the Pookiesnackenburger version of that song... They just missed our Top 40 in 1982, believe it or not.

Again, nothing Renato could help.

Check for new replies or respond here...