inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eunice Kennedy Shriver

Written By: danootaandme on 08/11/09 at 5:20 am

Her work for the mentally and physically challenged has changed their world and ours.  She was the founder of Special Olympics.  RIP to a great, great woman.  :\'(

"A longtime advocate for children's health and disability issues, Shriver was a key founder of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), a part of the National Institutes of Health, in 1962, and has also helped to establish numerous other health-care facilities and support networks throughout the country.

In 1968, Shriver founded the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Center for Community of Caring at The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.

She was awarded the nation's highest civilian award, the (U.S.) Presidential Medal of Freedom, in 1984 by U.S. President Ronald Reagan, because of her work on behalf of those with mental retardation."

For her work in founding the Special Olympics, Shriver received the Civitan International World Citizenship Award."

Subject: Re: Eunice Kennedy Shriver

Written By: ninny on 08/11/09 at 6:43 am

R.I.P. Eunice you were a pioneer :\'(

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/11/09 at 1:05 pm

I think I should thank her for helping the disabled and such.

Because prior to the 60's, they were put away. If that never happened, I wouldn't be typing here today.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/09 at 11:24 pm

Her work for the mentally and physically challenged has changed their world and ours.  She was the founder of Special Olympics.  RIP to a great, great woman.   :\'(

"A longtime advocate for children's health and disability issues, Shriver was a key founder of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), a part of the National Institutes of Health, in 1962, and has also helped to establish numerous other health-care facilities and support networks throughout the country.

In 1968, Shriver founded the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Center for Community of Caring at The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.

She was awarded the nation's highest civilian award, the (U.S.) Presidential Medal of Freedom, in 1984 by U.S. President Ronald Reagan, because of her work on behalf of those with mental retardation."

For her work in founding the Special Olympics, Shriver received the Civitan International World Citizenship Award."

Indeed.  I have nothing to add here.  She was a great lady.  RIP Eunice.
:\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...