inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Allen Shellenberger (of Lit) dies at 39

Written By: Henk on 08/15/09 at 5:23 am

Anyone remember Lit? ??? The band had an international hit in 1999 with "My Own Worst Enemy"

Drummer Allen Shellenberger, aged 39, has died of a brain tumor last Thursday in his mother's residence in Artesia (CA). He was diagnosed with a tumor in May 2008, but continued to play until the fall of that year.
Shellenberger is survived by a daughter.

Subject: Re: Allen Shellenberger (of Lit) dies at 39

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/09 at 8:21 am

I remember Lit, but I was never a big fan.  'My Own Worst Enemy' and 'Miserable' were the ones I knew

R.I.P. Allen

Written By: Henk on 08/15/09 at 9:48 am

Well, I never was a big fan either, but I just felt like posting anyway. 39 is just way too young to die.

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/09 at 1:05 pm

Well, I never was a big fan either, but I just felt like posting anyway. 39 is just way too young to die.

It is a very young age to die.  I always wondered whatever became of Lit.  I used to always get them confused with Len cause they came out around the same time and similar names, but very different musical styles LOL

Written By: nally on 08/16/09 at 9:22 pm

It is a very young age to die.  I always wondered whatever became of Lit.  I used to always get them confused with Len cause they came out around the same time and similar names, but very different musical styles LOL

It sure is. In fact, 30-anything is too young to die IMO.

As for the group, I remember them very well from 10 years ago. (Has it been that long already?!) I am tempted to think of them as a one hit wonder, since "My Own Worst Enemy" was their best known song. I wonder if anyone knows what they're doing now.

Yeah, Len was a Canadian group, and they seemed like they were more towards pop, but in an alt-rock form...and they had one big hit, "Steal My Sunshine" (which sampled the rhythm track of the 1970s song "More More More" by Andrea True Connection)...and it came out later in the year.

Written By: nally on 08/16/09 at 9:24 pm

Drummer Allen Shellenberger, aged 39, has died of a brain tumor last Thursday in his mother's residence in Artesia (CA). He was diagnosed with a tumor in May 2008, but continued to play until the fall of that year.
Shellenberger is survived by a daughter.

A brain tumor? That is just awful. :\'(

For the record I know where Artesia is; it's in the south part of Los Angeles County. I've been through that area a few times.

Check for new replies or respond here...