inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mary Tavers of Peter, Paul and Mary has lost her battle with cancer.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/16/09 at 8:54 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_mary_travers

RIP Mary. Such a lovely lady. :\'(

Subject: Re: Mary Tavers of Peter, Paul and Mary has lost her battle with cancer.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 09/16/09 at 9:20 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_mary_travers

RIP Mary. Such a lovely lady. :\'(

Lots of Icons dying this year, joining Henry Gibson and Patrick Swayze, they really do go out in groups don't they?  RIP

Subject: Re: Mary Tavers of Peter, Paul and Mary has lost her battle with cancer.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/09 at 9:49 pm

PP&M rocked.

RIP Mary...  :\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/17/09 at 8:01 am

Lots of Icons dying this year, joining Henry Gibson and Patrick Swayze, they really do go out in groups don't they?   RIP

I never really thought about the whole dying in threes theory, but the last few days, has been eerie.

First there was Jim Carrol, then there was Patrick Swayze, then Henry Gibson, and now Mary Travers.

This has been a really sad year, indeed. I also missed mentioning Larry Gelbart, as well.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/17/09 at 8:27 am

I just saw that the producer of Porky's passed away yesterday too.  Shaping up to be a bad week...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/17/09 at 8:42 am

*GASP*  Oh, no.  This is sad, very sad indeed  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/17/09 at 11:11 am

So sad. I have always LOVED PP&M. Such a tragic loss.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Paul on 09/17/09 at 1:33 pm

PP&M rocked.

Not so much 'rocked', but jogged along in a nice, folky kind-of way...

Nevertheless, still a sad loss, but thankfully we've still got the songs to remember her by...RIP Maz

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/17/09 at 2:50 pm

I have always LOVED PP&M. Such a tragic loss.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

I did, too!  They had some great songs!

A very tragic loss indeed...we'll miss you, Mary!  :\'(

Written By: Marian on 09/17/09 at 4:10 pm

R.I.P.mary

Subject: Re: Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary has lost her battle with cancer.

Written By: nally on 09/17/09 at 4:59 pm

I never really thought about the whole dying in threes theory, but the last few days, has been eerie.

Certainly has! And of course in June we had several celebs biting the dust in the same week! (Ed McMahon, Farrah, and MJ).

And now Mary. I loved PP&M's music too. A tragic loss indeed. :\'( :(

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/17/09 at 7:20 pm

So sad!  I wasn't even aware that Mary was ill!  :\'(

RIP Mary.  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/17/09 at 7:23 pm

She's leaving on a Jet Plane.

She won't be back again.

But I'm sure the plane has now landed in Heaven. :\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/17/09 at 8:57 pm

For those of you too young to remember the hippie era, you still probably remember this one, which I saw on another message board and figured was worthy of blatant cut-and-paste:

A dragon lives forever, but not so little girls,
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other pearls.
One grey night it happened, Mary Travers came no more,
And Puff, that mighty dragon - he ceased his fearless roar.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/17/09 at 9:12 pm

For those of you too young to remember the hippie era, you still probably remember this one, which I saw on another message board and figured was worthy of blatant cut-and-paste:

It's the song my Mom always played for me when I was little.  I have it on my iPod.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/18/09 at 8:16 am

CBS News ran a bit on PP&M last night.

Wow back in the early 1960's, Mary was HOT .

http://photos.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/peterpaulmary--125318151553058200.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/09 at 12:06 pm

That song ALWAYS makes me teary-eyed-especially that line (with or without Mary's name in it).

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/09 at 7:39 pm

Peter, Paul & Mary sounds like a story from the Bible
a legendary trio whose folk/pop music was so simple and  enjoyable.  it's sad to hear of her passing
RIP Mary  :\'(

my favorite songs were:

If I Had a Hammer (The Hammer Song)
Puff (The Magic Dragon)
Blowin' in the Wind
I Dig Rock and Roll Music
and of course..Leaving on a Jet Plane

Written By: Frank on 09/19/09 at 5:33 pm

Mary.
R.I.P

Thank you for the music.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/09 at 6:23 pm

This has to be my favorite PP&M song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4u-N_VGJY

The quality isn't the best on this video and it isn't quite the season but I don't care, I listen to that song year round because I LOVE it so much.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 09/21/09 at 12:07 pm

I love the music of Peter, Paul & Mary....R.I.P. Mary :\'(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/21/09 at 1:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaWl2lA7968

If I Had A Hammer.  Another one of my favorites. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...