inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stephen Gately, Boyzone singer, 33, dies

Written By: Bobo on 10/11/09 at 1:22 am

Boyzone star Stephen Gately has died suddenly while on holiday in Majorca.

The 33-year-old went to sleep after a night out but failed to wake up, according to the News of the World.

The four remaining band members flying out to the island today.

Singer Ronan Keating is said to be "completely devastated".

A message on the band's official website confirmed Gately's death: "Stephen tragically died whilst on holiday in Majorca yesterday.

"He was there with his partner Andrew.

"At present we don't have too many details. The rest of the boyz will be travelling to Majorca later this morning."

Gately married his partner Andrew Cowles in a civil union in March 2006.

Subject: Re: Stephen Gately, Boyzone singer, 33, dies

Written By: Henk on 10/11/09 at 1:29 am

I just read the same news on a Dutch website, so it must be true.

Very sad news. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/09 at 3:33 am

I have just seen Paul Gambaccini on the BBC News talking on this, my family are in complete shock.

R.I.P. Stephen Gately  :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/11/09 at 6:06 am

How shockingly sad... To die so very young. :(

Written By: robby76 on 10/11/09 at 6:07 am

Blimey I wonder what the full circumstances were!? I had two Boyzone albums as a teen and I'm glad Stephen left us on a high note with "Better". Great song!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/09 at 7:13 am

On BBC News Online "Spanish police said there were no signs of suspicious circumstances but that the cause of death was not yet known." with later reports of he died in his sleep.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/11/09 at 12:21 pm

This is really sad and shocking news, indeed.  :\'(

Rest in peace, Stephen.

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/09 at 8:00 pm

Man, what a shock.  I actually liked quite a few Boyzone songs, and they weren't total unknowns in Canada, like they were in the States.  Both 'No Matter What' and 'Pictures of You' were hits here.

A talented singer who will be missed :\'(

Written By: Stompgal on 10/17/09 at 10:37 am

I wasn't overly keen on Boyzone, but a few of their songs were good. The news of Stephen's death shocked me as it just came out of the blue. Stephen was my key worker's favourite member of Boyzone and she was very upset when he came out as gay and also when he died. She respected their music very well when she was younger. I saw the funeral coverage live on Sky News earlier today.

RIP Stephen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/09 at 2:23 am

A memorial concert will be held later in London to celebrate the life of Boyzone singer Stephen Gately.

Some 1,000 friends, family and fans will attend the event at the Palace Theatre, which has been organised by Gately's partner Andrew Cowles.

Singers including Beverley Knight are expected to perform and actor Sir Ian McKellen will read a poem.

The Irish star, 33, died of natural causes on 10 October at his holiday home on the island of Majorca.

Band members

More than 3,000 people gathered outside St Laurence O'Toole's church in Dublin last month to pay their respects at the singer's funeral.

Gately's parents Martin and Margaret and siblings Michelle, Mark, Alan and Tony are expected to attend the private concert on Sunday night.

It will be hosted by actor and entertainer Christopher Biggins and will feature a musical tribute from the remaining members of Boyzone - Ronan Keating, Mikey Graham, Keith Duffy and Shane Lynch.

Other singers including Liz McClarnon, Lee Ryan and Chesney Hawkes will also take to the stage, along with the cast of West End musical Joseph, in which Gately starred.

Tributes are also expected from Cherie Blair, and comedians Paul O'Grady, Matt Lucas, Graham Norton and Alan Carr

Check for new replies or respond here...