inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Captain Lou Albano dies at 76

Written By: Midas on 10/14/09 at 4:46 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/14/obit.albano/index.html

Featured in Cyndi Lauper's early videos as well as the voice of Mario in The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, wrestling figure Captain Lou Albano passes away due to natural causes today.

RIP Lou.

Subject: Re: Captain Lou Albano dies at 76

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/14/09 at 6:17 pm

Wow...  :\'(

I remember Captain Lou from the "old days" 15-20 years before his Cindy Lauper affiliation.

He was part of the "studio wrestling" tag-team called The Sicilians.  Good wrestling action, without the bombast (or steroids) of today's WWE crap.  Every Saturday night here in The Burgh, we'd tune in to WIIC and watch guys like The Sicilians, hometown immortal Bruno Sammartino, George "the animal" Steele, Haystack Calhoun wrestle it out in the ring.

Play by play was done by the legendary Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardille.  Between fights, baseball hall of famer Pie Traynor would hawk the home improvement services of American Heating ("Who can? Ameri-Can!" was his slogan).  In the stands was always Ringside Rosie, who would wave her rubber chicken unapprovingly if she saw something foul.

http://www.chillertheatermemories.com/sw118.jpg

These guys were all the real deal.  

No more Lou... End of an era for sure.   :-\\

RIP Lou.  And THANKS for all the memories!  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/14/09 at 7:52 pm

In honour of the Captain....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMi9tvuuZY

Rest in peace.

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/09 at 8:18 pm

The world of wrestling has suffered a terrible loss with the loss of Lou Albano.  He was a legend, and I used to love watching him when I was a kid.  He appeared with other fellow WWF Superstars on the 1986 novelty classic 'Land of A Thousand Dances' which was a #38 hit in Canada.

R.I.P. Captain Lou.  You will be missed :\'(

Written By: ninny on 10/15/09 at 7:06 am

I remember him with fondness..R.I.P. Lou :\'(

Written By: joeman on 10/15/09 at 11:03 pm

I only knew him from that Mario Bros cartoon/Super Show.

RIP Lou.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/03/09 at 2:42 pm

I hope he's in a WWE Smackdown vs. RAW game sometime soon...that or I'll make him!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/09 at 9:28 pm

:\'(

Captain Lou comes from the time when pro-wrestling was actually entertaining.  He was one of my favorites, a very funny guy.  Remember, Lauper would be nuttin' without him.  He taught her the PEG principle:  Politeness, Etiquette, and Grooming!

My friend Sam still raves about meeting Captain Lou in a NYC coffee shop back in the early '80s.  Sam says the Captain was in person just as the Captain was on TV!

RIP, Lou Albano, I'll miss you.

Check for new replies or respond here...