inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top US sitcom David Lloyd writer dies aged 75

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/09 at 3:10 am

David Lloyd, the Emmy-winning writer whose credits include Taxi, Cheers and Frasier, has died of prostate cancer at the age of 75, his son has announced.

His prolific four-decade career also included stints on Rhoda, Lou Grant and Johnny Carson's Tonight Show.

In the US he was best known for writing the Chuckles Bites the Dust episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

The episode - once voted the greatest in TV history - involved a children's host being crushed by an elephant.

The 1975 show won Lloyd an individual Emmy for outstanding writing in a comedy series, a prize for which he was nominated seven times.

He won a second Emmy in 1977 as one of the writers for the final episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and a third in 1998 when Frasier was named best comedy series.

Subject: Re: Top US sitcom David Lloyd writer dies aged 75

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/09 at 5:55 am

He was a great talent, it is always sad to see a bit of laughter hushed  :\'(

Subject: Re: Top US sitcom David Lloyd writer dies aged 75

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/09 at 6:44 am

He was a good writer.  I remember his name from all of those shows.  That Chuckles episode of MTM was legendary..  He also wrote for 'Wings', my pick for greatest sitcom of the 90s. 

R.I.P. David :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...