inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oral Roberts sees the 900 ft. Jesus again.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/15/09 at 3:30 pm

No, I'm serious. He passed away at the age of 91.

TULSA, Okla - Oral Roberts, the evangelist who rose from humble tent revivals to found a multimillion-dollar ministry and a university bearing his name, died Tuesday. He was 91.

Roberts died of complications from pneumonia in Newport Beach, Calif., according to his spokesman, A. Larry Ross. The evangelist was hospitalized after a fall on Saturday. He had survived two heart attacks in the 1990s and a broken hip in 2006.

Roberts was a pioneer on two fronts — he helped bring spirit-filled charismatic Christianity into the mainstream and took his trademark revivals to television, a new frontier for religionRoberts overcame tuberculosis at age 17, and credited that triumph with leading him to become one of the country's most famous ministers.

He gave up a local pastorate in Enid in 1947 to enter an evangelistic ministry in Tulsa to pray for the healing of the whole person — the body, mind and spirit. The philosophy led many to call him a "faith healer," a label he rejected with the comment: "God heals — I don't."

Subject: Re: Oral Roberts sees the 900 ft. Jesus again.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/09 at 3:36 pm

Just think he left it all to his son the twit and the University that can't even cook their books right.  RIP Oral, I hope the big guy stocked up on aspirin.

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/15/09 at 4:05 pm

I guess his congregation finally failed to raise the $8 Million. At least when he appealed for that, he was using in to build a college rather than a theme park or his personal mansion! RIP, Oral Roberts. We think you meant well.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/15/09 at 4:16 pm

Rest in peace, Mr. Roberts. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/09 at 4:54 pm

I guess his congregation finally failed to raise the $8 Million. At least when he appealed for that, he was using in to build a college rather than a theme park or his personal mansion! RIP, Oral Roberts. We know you meant well.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

I was going to say that he failed to raise the $8 million but I don't think he meant well, at all, Doc. I think he was a low-life scumbag! I can't say that I am sad by any means.

I used to live in Tulsa (still have family there) and there have been all sorts of nasty things he did to people. When he wanted to build his hospital, there were people who owned land where he wanted to build. Some sold their land to him without a problem but there was one elderly woman who didn't want to leave her home. She made them a deal that they could have the house AFTER she died. Papers were then drawn up and then Oral had her evicted!  >:( >:( >:(  Some Christian huh?  After the hospital was built, half of it was empty because very few people could pay the $$$$ they charged-so they ended up renting out many of the floors.

Nope-can't say that I am sorry to see him go.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/15/09 at 7:40 pm

Let's keep the discussion on a positive note until his funeral...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/09 at 8:05 pm

I was going to say that he failed to raise the $8 million but I don't think he meant well, at all, Doc. I think he was a low-life scumbag! I can't say that I am sad by any means.

I used to live in Tulsa (still have family there) and there have been all sorts of nasty things he did to people. When he wanted to build his hospital, there were people who owned land where he wanted to build. Some sold their land to him without a problem but there was one elderly woman who didn't want to leave her home. She made them a deal that they could have the house AFTER she died. Papers were then drawn up and then Oral had her evicted!  >:( >:( >:(  Some Christian huh?  After the hospital was built, half of it was empty because very few people could pay the $$$$ they charged-so they ended up renting out many of the floors.

Nope-can't say that I am sorry to see him go.

Cat

YOU don't get it do you?  Christianity is about getting people to send you $$$, not about being nice to some old lady.

Your pal,
Mock

Anyway, this Oral Roberts guy was a major dickwagon, and that's about as positive as I can be about him.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/15/09 at 10:11 pm

okay then...

Well, that concludes my thoughts for this evening.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 12/15/09 at 10:19 pm

YOU don't get it do you?  Christianity is about getting people to send you $$$, not about being nice to some old lady.

Your pal,
Mock

Anyway, this Oral Roberts guy was a major dickwagon, and that's about as positive as I can be about him.

I've been in a funk all day and this was the first thing to make me laugh.  Karma. ;D

okay then...

Well, that concludes my thoughts for this evening.

Ant

This is the second thing to make me laugh today.  Karma. ;D

Written By: Frank on 12/16/09 at 12:21 am

Christianity is about getting people to send you $$$, not about being nice to some old lady.

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile. But this is not my Christianity. Lots of things can be lumped together into "Christianity" .

Sadly, there are some who give Christianity a bad name, who just want to milk poor suckers for $$$. It makes us all look bad and makes me sad, and sick.
In the end, I believe he will answer to God for the things he has done.

Written By: Davester on 12/16/09 at 12:49 am

I'm sure some will praise him as an environmental hero for finally shutting down his hazardous, polluting CO2 plant, I will only express my sympathy for his family's loss and leave it at that...

More at: http://stopbreathingnow.org/

I think my late grandmother loved him. Or was it Jimmy Swaggart? I get my fundies mixed-up sometimes...

Written By: ninny on 12/16/09 at 6:01 am

Well he lived to 91 so I guess that was a full life.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/09 at 6:31 am

Well he lived to 91 so I guess that was a full life.

Yeah, full of sheeshe

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/09 at 8:00 am

Was "Oral" the name he was born with, or was it some sort of nickname? ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/16/09 at 8:17 am

Either way, wow, what a name to grow up with!

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/09 at 8:45 am

Either way, wow, what a name to grow up with!

;D

Yes.  I imagine that he grew to disdain the use of "air quotes"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/09 at 9:23 am

Yeah, full of sheeshe

Ya got that right, Sister!

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/09 at 9:27 am

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile. But this is not my Christianity. Lots of things can be lumped together into "Christianity" .

Sadly, there are some who give Christianity a bad name, who just want to milk poor suckers for $$$. It makes us all look bad and makes me sad, and sick.
In the end, I believe he will answer to God for the things he has done.

Exactly.  I hate getting lumped in with people like this just because I am a Christian. 

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/16/09 at 10:38 am

Exactly.  I hate getting lumped in with people like this just because I am a Christian. 

I know the feeling! I have amended my original statement on this. Nothing could be more despicable than a man using the name of God to cheat fellow Christians. The third commandment clearly states "Thou Shalt Not Wrongly Use The Name Of The Lord.".

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Claybricks on 12/16/09 at 12:09 pm

Cat's comments reminded me of the Robert Tilton investigation by PRIME TIME with Diane Sawyer in 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjwU4rU7v48

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokFmFkC9DA

Part 2

Dan

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/16/09 at 12:31 pm

Yeah, full of sheeshe

He'll see 900 ft. Jesus right now. He may not be in the higher levels of Heaven (I got that from Dante).

His full name was Granville Oral Roberts. Either way...the name is lame.

Written By: ninny on 12/16/09 at 12:33 pm

His real name is Granville Oral Roberts 8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/09 at 1:46 pm

His real name is Granville Oral Roberts 8-P

Wow.  I wonder why he didn't go by his first name?

Written By: Jessica on 12/16/09 at 2:28 pm

Wow.  I wonder why he didn't go by his first name?

Granville Roberts doesn't have the same ring to it, maybe.

Now see, I like my televangelists blatantly out there with a wild name, like Creflo A. Dollar.  Yes, that is his real name.  I looked it up.  But everytime I see that name, it makes me snort a little, like Oral Roberts.

I'm just rambling now, but I wanted a reason to mention Creflo Dollar. :D

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/16/09 at 2:55 pm

This just seems sooooooooooo appropriate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugZq9hiuCJo

Enjoy the laughs.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/09 at 6:19 pm

Now see, I like my televangelists blatantly out there with a wild name, like Creflo A. Dollar.  Yes, that is his real name.  I looked it up.  But everytime I see that name, it makes me snort a little, like Oral Roberts.

Creflo rocks.  8)

As does his hottie wife, Taffy Dollar.  :-*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 11:05 pm

I've been in a funk all day and this was the first thing to make me laugh.  Karma. ;D

This is the second thing to make me laugh today.  Karma. ;D

Laughter is good for the soul!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/multijump.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/17/09 at 12:45 pm

Creflo Dollar...sounds like he wants the Dollar.

Here's a crazy name for an Evangelist...Alpha Rex Humbard! He was from my hometown...actually in Akron and he was born an Arkansasian.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/17/09 at 10:53 pm

OK, I'll take the high road for another day, but you know it's killing me :)

So everybody shaddap and leave Oral alone,
He's goin' straight to heaven.

http://www.auralgasms.com/radio/Pictures/az_2023_The%20City%20Sleeps_MC%20900%20Ft%20Jesus.jpg.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/18/09 at 11:54 am

OK, I'll take the high road for another day, but you know it's killing me :)

So everybody shaddap and leave Oral alone,
He's goin' straight to heaven.

http://www.auralgasms.com/radio/Pictures/az_2023_The%20City%20Sleeps_MC%20900%20Ft%20Jesus.jpg.

they're waiting until Monday... which is kind of gross really.

Maybe we should do a 48 hour waiting period on the forum before we speak ill of the dead. In which case, we're well past it. Feel free to dump on the son of a bitch.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/09 at 9:42 pm

they're waiting until Monday... which is kind of gross really.

I say wrap him up and send him to Pat Robertson for xmas!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsurprise.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/21/09 at 1:31 am

Maybe we should do a 48 hour waiting period on the forum before we speak ill of the dead. In which case, we're well past it.

And so to my serious issue with Oral.  Claiming that after having seen a 900-foot Jesus, God would kill him unless his flock came up with the cash.  Seems God finally took him up on it.  Perhaps my issue wasn't so much with Oral, but with his flock, who fell for it in large enough numbers to make possible the rest of the commercial televangelism industry, which has reached its current nadir in the form of the "prosperity gospel" asshattery of Joel Osteen.  I'm sure there's worse to come on this front; it'll just take someone even smarmier than Osteen to do it. 

But as for Oral?

http://www.usdat.us/secretary/archives/Hands_3168_sm.jpg

Well, his Jesus didn't get anywhere near 900 feet.

http://www.racomics.com/comics/2009-12-16-Oral's-Morals.png

...nor did he come up with the cash.

Feel free to dump on the son of a bitch.

So between Chuck saying it was OK to dump on the SOB, and that reference to Luke 4:12 and/or Matthew 4:7 (the bit where the Jesus says "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God", instead of "Yeah, God, if you don't give me $8M like pronto, I'll jump off this cliff and force You to save Me!"), I'm going to link to an actual photographshop from an undisclosed location near Tulsa, OK, providing proof that on December 15th, the heavens were opened up unto Oral.

But as a general rule, 48 hours seems a fair compromise to me. The lulz will still be floating around the Interwebs, and the body will have long since hit ambient temperature.  Fair game, and still soon enough to get a chuckle or a smirk. 

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/6708/orsmiter.jpg

Nobody said it was easy, but the Lord's work is never done.

Check for new replies or respond here...