inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teddy Pendergrass passes away

Written By: Howard on 01/14/10 at 6:30 am

Teddy Pendergrass, R&B Singer, Dies in Philadelphia at Age 59

Jan. 14 - Teddy Pendergrass, one of the leading R&B stars of the 1970s, has died at the age of 59.

Pendergrass died in a Philadelphia hospital, his son told the Associated Press. The former lead singer of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes had colon cancer surgery last year.

Pendergrass had a successful solo career that was disrupted in 1982 when the brakes failed on his car and he was paralyzed from the waist down in the crash.

One of his biggest hits was “It Should’ve Been You” in 1991. He performed at the 1985 Live Aid concert in a wheelchair and founded a charity to help people with spinal cord injuries.

http://www.afromontreal.com/artists_pics/teddypendergrass.jpg
  :\'(

Subject: Re: Teddy Pendergrass passes away

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/10 at 7:40 am

:\'(

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/10 at 7:50 am

Did you know that Whitney Houston's first ever hit single was a duet with him?  It was called 'Hold Me' and it is a wonderful song

I liked him best with Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes.  'If You Don't Know Me By Now' is still a wonderful song.

R.I.P. to a great singer

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/10 at 7:56 am

I was reading last nite that Teddy was one of the first R&B crooners who had a huge gay following (sort of like Cher) but that he would never acknowledge it.  ???

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/14/10 at 9:25 am

RIP Teddy Pendergrass  :\'( My favorite song of his is "Close The Door", which I heard from "The Nutty Professor".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/14/10 at 11:56 am

He was great both as a solo and with Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes.  He will be greatly missed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P., Teddy Pendergrass

Written By: Howard on 01/14/10 at 6:42 pm

I kind of thought that he was going to live a long life but for a guy to be in a wheelchair for almost 30 years is quite a struggle.  :(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/14/10 at 6:44 pm

Goodbye, Teddy... you will certainly be missed...  :\'(

Written By: ninny on 01/15/10 at 8:51 am

I kind of thought that he was going to live a long life but for a guy to be in a wheelchair for almost 30 years is quite a struggle.  :(

This is true, there is so many medical problems associated with being in the chair that long, plus he had colon cancer.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/10 at 2:04 pm

I remember the funky side of Teddy Pendergrass plus then you have the love jams which were so nice too,I guess I would choose both.

Check for new replies or respond here...