inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Isiah Thomas's Mother passes away

Written By: Howard on 01/15/10 at 6:33 am

Mary Thomas was a familiar part of the Bad Boys era, perhaps best known for delivering the two-word punch line in a 1986 Detroit Edison commercial she made with her famous son: "Oh, Isiah!"

Thomas, the mother of Pistons great Isiah Thomas, died Wednesday morning at a suburban Chicago hospital at the age of 87. She had battled heart problems for years and underwent open-heart surgery in November.

The story of her struggle to raise a family on the mean streets of Chicago's West Side reached beyond Detroit, too: It was made into a 1989 movie, "A Mother's Courage: The Mary Thomas Story," starring Alfre Woodard.

"I didn't see why they wanted to do it," Mary told the Free Press of the movie then. "Really, the truth about it is I did the best I could to raise up my kids and do the right thing. I wish more parents would do likewise."

Isiah Thomas, now the head coach at Florida International, has joined the family in Chicago and is expected to miss at least two games.

Dumars: Pistons 'not a finished product'
Pistons president Joe Dumars admitted to the Associated Press on Thursday that he just might be ready to make some more moves at the NBA trade deadline, which is Feb. 18.

"We will not be averse to being active before the trading deadline," he said.

"But we're definitely not going to be active just to be active. At this stage, it has to make sense for us going forward. We're not looking for a short-term fix.

"We are not a finished product. We have some holes to fill and we will go about doing that."

Not a finished product? Pretty strong talk, just because you're 12-25.

Check for new replies or respond here...