inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Corey Haim, passes away.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/10 at 8:14 am

I never thought that I would end being the person, who unfortunately, ended up posting it  on this website, but here goes anyway....

80's teen actor, Corey Haim, passed away recently, at the age of 38.

My thoughts and prayers, go out to Corey's friends and family, at this point in time.

Rest in peace, Corey, you'll be very sadly missed by all.

:\'(

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20350037,00.html?xid=rss-fullcontent

http://www.espritlibre.ws/celebrities/photos/381162/coreyhaim.jpg

Subject: Re: Corey Haim, passes away.

Written By: Midas on 03/10/10 at 8:24 am

Tragic.  RIP Dinger.

Written By: robby76 on 03/10/10 at 8:28 am

I'll always remember him from Edison Twins! These drug related deaths are getting all too common.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/10 at 8:33 am

I'll always remember him from Edison Twins! These drug related deaths are getting all too common.

I agree, they are becoming very sadly all too common.

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/10 at 10:28 am

Just saw this on imdb....so sad!  tragic waste of a life and potentially talented actor...

I couldn't find the image I wanted so I'm using this one....

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1010/141607.1010.a.jpg

but, remember the end of Lucas when Lucas is given the football jacket and he raises his fists in a victorious V? That's how I will forever remember Haim. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/10 at 10:36 am

For a brief moment of levity, I would like to mention one of my favorite Simpsons' episodes, evolved, Lisa getting addicted to the Corey hotline, on the phone!

;D

" Hi, you've reached the Corey hot-line.  $4.95 a minute.  Here are some words that rhyme with Corey:  Gory.  Story.  Allegory.  Montessori."

Marge: How many Coreys are there?

Lisa: Seven.

By the way, my favorite Corey Haim movies are The Lost Boys, License To Drive, and Lucas.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/10 at 10:41 am

For a brief moment of levity, I would like to mention one of my favorite Simpsons' episodes, evolved, Lisa getting addicted to the Corey hotline, on the phone!

;D

" Hi, you've reached the Corey hot-line.  $4.95 a minute.  Here are some words that rhyme with Corey:  Gory.  Story.  Allegory.  Montessori."

By the way, my favorite Corey Haim movies are The Lost Boys, License To Drive, and Lucas.

One quick question....

Was it just me, or was there a lot of cheesy hot line commercials in the 80's?

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/10 at 11:27 am

I read about this on Yahoo this morning. So sad. I think it is such a waste when someone so young dies because of pure utter stupidity.

Cat

Written By: topforty on 03/10/10 at 12:33 pm

I always wonder whenever one of these deaths occur, if the person that first introduced the recently deceased to the world of crap called drugs, if that person has any remorse. That they were indeed the first link, step, whatever in the person's eventual early demise.  Chances are that person is also dead, but if they aren't I wonder what that person is thinking today.

Anyway another senseless celebrity death.

Was it coincidence this morning or what but the radio station had just played The Doors "People Are Strange", then the news came on at the top of the hour and announced Haim's death.  For those that don't remember "People Are Strange" was a song played in "The Lost Boys", one of my favorite films from the 80's.  Loved the grandpa in there, played by Barnard Hughes. 

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/10/10 at 2:19 pm

So very sad, but unfortunately, not exactly unexpected, as Corey has battled drug addiction for many years...  :-[

Written By: Christie Marie M on 03/10/10 at 2:40 pm

It's a sad day for Corey Haim!  :\'( Seems like yesterday that he was "Lucas". Also, it's not the 2 Corey's without Corey Haim.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/files/2009/06/31.jpg
http://nolebucgrl.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/corey-haim.jpg
http://img.pr.com/article/0806/article_attachment_1213657546.jpg

You will be missed, Corey Haim!  :\'(

Written By: Stompgal on 03/10/10 at 3:13 pm

;D

I remember that Simpsons episode. Even though I've never heard of Corey before, I heard the news of his passing on the radio this evening.

Written By: ninny on 03/10/10 at 3:22 pm

I just saw this on Inside edition..boy what a shock :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/10/10 at 4:06 pm

Looks like we're down to one Corey now...  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/10 at 4:16 pm

He was one of Canada's finest, and I will forever love 'License to Drive'.  He was a great actor and I will miss him greatly :\'(

I wonder if Corey Feldman will give the eulogy at his funeral?

Written By: nally on 03/10/10 at 4:39 pm

I heard this on the news this morning. What a loss. :\'(

I wonder if Corey Feldman will give the eulogy at his funeral?

You never know....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/10 at 5:17 pm

They're saying it appears to be a drug overdose.  It is interesting how many of you mentioned "Lucas."  I think that was his best performance too.  I thought  it would be Corey Feldman who would die first, and it was close.  Drugs destroyed Feldman's life by the time he was 25. 

I hope Mr. Haim is with God now.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/10/10 at 5:59 pm

I heard that Dr Drew was trying to get Corey in on Celebrity Rehab 4.  Sadly it was all too late.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 03/10/10 at 6:38 pm

I remember Corey Haim in The Lost Boys and I think Stand By Me too and also him and his other Corey were both in a film together many years ago.

RIP Corey Haim.  :\'(

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/10/10 at 6:54 pm

I loved Corey in the movie Lucas so much (and it introduced us to a young Winona Ryder, or Horowitz, as she was billed).  Anyway, I get so infuriated when someone does this to themselves!  It's so aggravating and heartbreaking; truly.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/10/10 at 8:14 pm

So sad.  I got misty eyed when I heard this morning.  Rest in peace, Corey. :(

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/10 at 8:40 pm

Turns out I've been driving by cireys apt daily. Saw the news vans as I drove by today.
According to la news no illegal drugs in the apt. Corey had the flu and had four different perscribed meds in his home. 

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/10 at 10:09 pm

I remember Corey Haim in The Lost Boys and I think Stand By Me too and also him and his other Corey were both in a film together many years ago.

RIP Corey Haim.  :\'(

Stand By Me was Feldman

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/10 at 10:20 pm

Stand By Me was Feldman

Yes, he played my favorite character in that movie, Teddy Duchamp.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/11/10 at 12:03 am

Can't beleive it.  :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/11/10 at 2:05 am

very sad, he was so young. news article I read said he was having flu-like symptons and have they disclosed what prescription drugs they found?  besides the vampire classic Lost Boys, he was in the werewolf film with Gary Busey "Silver Bullet" which was pretty good. rest in peace Corey, you'll be missed.

Written By: Gis on 03/11/10 at 5:41 am

I'm so sad, it's like a piece of my youth going if you know what I mean.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/10 at 6:38 am

Man,It feels like this year could be the year of prescription pills and drugs. :(

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/11/10 at 9:25 pm

I know what you mean. I remember see him plastered all over my Tean Beat magazines.  RIP, Corey.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/11/10 at 9:57 pm

Man,It feels like this year could be the year of prescription pills and drugs. :(

I wouldn't suggest you start doing them Howard.  ;)

RIP Corey, I was one of the few people that watched the reality series a few years ago called "The two Coreys".  It was sad.

I liked Corey in Dream a little dream, License to drive and Lost Boys.  I don't remember seeing Lucas but I might have.  It's sad when yet another child star grows up and seems lost (which is ironic as Haim was a Lost boy.)  I think if parents are going to let their children into show biz, they need to be extra careful to keep them normal family life.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/11/10 at 10:01 pm

I wouldn't suggest you start doing them Howard.   ;)

RIP Corey, I was one of the few people that watched the reality series a few years ago called "The two Coreys".  It was sad.

I liked Corey in Dream a little dream, License to drive and Lost Boys.  I don't remember seeing Lucas but I might have.  It's sad when yet another child star grows up and seems lost (which is ironic as Haim was a Lost boy.)  I think if parents are going to let their children into show biz, they need to be extra careful to keep them normal family life.

I was one of the few people that watched "The Two Coreys" as well but I think it was only 2 or 3 episodes. It was sad.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/10 at 6:36 am

I wouldn't suggest you start doing them Howard.

No Comment!  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/12/10 at 9:59 am

For anyone wanting to take hard core drugs, remember what Rick James said once....

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug!"

Written By: Howard on 03/12/10 at 12:23 pm

For anyone wanting to take hard core drugs, remember what Rick James said once....

and also " Life Is A Bitch and then you die" !

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/12/10 at 5:18 pm

and also " Life Is A Bitch and then you die" !

Indeed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/10 at 10:25 pm

Yes, Haim is of my generation.  It feels more personal when a celebrity from the same generation as you dies.  I'm a bit older than Haim was, but not much.  He and I are definitely Gen-X.  Of course, in 20 years, we'll see the early sixties wave of die-offs that happen in every generation, so we'll get used to it.  My grandmother gossiped about funerals the way some people gossip about weddings!

:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/13/10 at 7:27 am

Oddly enough, one of my friends, though at first, that it was Corey Feldman, who had died.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/10 at 12:25 pm

Sure is.  Just ask any 80-pound crackhead in your town!
:o

Written By: Howard on 03/13/10 at 1:28 pm

Oddly enough, one of my friends, though at first, that it was Corey Feldman, who had died.

and what's odd is that they both grew up with the same first name.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/13/10 at 1:38 pm

A sad part of the Haim story, as is the case with other people who ultimately take their lives via long-term drug abuse, is that you can see that the people who surrounded him were part of the problem.  Covering his azz...  "He was clean", "He just had a heart attack", that sort of stuff.

They're in complete denial that drugs had anything to do with his death, even as the cops have shown that at least one of his "prescriptions" was a forgery.  They are grasping at whatever threads they can to explain why he died.  We all know what the story will be... he died either from a flagrant immediate overdose, or a cardiopulmonary condition that was brought about by the long-term drug use, taken over the "tipping point" by the dosage of whatever drugs he chose to take that day.

I tend not to get very worked up by the death of a drug addict.  Maybe that's hard, but generally speaking, drug addicts have already taken advantage of all their freinds and relatives, many times over, by the time of their deaths, and as such pretty much whatever good will they had coming, they already got.  Drug addicts are consummate con men and users; dealing with a serious drug addict is almost always strictly a one-way relationship.  At least Mr. Heim was considerate enough to nor leave orphaned children behind, although he did leave a mother who is battling cancer to now have to deal with his death and (even in his death) continue to cover his azz.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/10 at 1:49 pm

A sad part of the Haim story, as is the case with other people who ultimately take their lives via long-term drug abuse, is that you can see that the people who surrounded him were part of the problem.  Covering his azz...  "He was clean", "He just had a heart attack", that sort of stuff.

They're in complete denial that drugs had anything to do with his death, even as the cops have shown that at least one of his "prescriptions" was a forgery.  They are grasping at whatever threads they can to explain why he died.  We all know what the story will be... he died either from a flagrant immediate overdose, or a cardiopulmonary condition that was brought about by the long-term drug use, taken over the "tipping point" by the dosage of whatever drugs he chose to take that day.

I tend not to get very worked up by the death of a drug addict.  Maybe that's hard, but generally speaking, drug addicts have already taken advantage of all their freinds and relatives, many times over, by the time of their deaths, and as such pretty much whatever good will they had coming, they already got.   Drug addicts are consummate con men and users; dealing with a serious drug addict is almost always strictly a one-way relationship.   At least Mr. Heim was considerate enough to nor leave orphaned children behind, although he did leave a mother who is battling cancer to now have to deal with his death and (even in his death) continue to cover his azz.

very good story LB.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/10 at 12:29 am

I tend not to get very worked up by the death of a drug addict.  Maybe that's hard, but generally speaking, drug addicts have already taken advantage of all their freinds and relatives, many times over, by the time of their deaths, and as such pretty much whatever good will they had coming, they already got.   Drug addicts are consummate con men and users; dealing with a serious drug addict is almost always strictly a one-way relationship.   At least Mr. Heim was considerate enough to nor leave orphaned children behind, although he did leave a mother who is battling cancer to now have to deal with his death and (even in his death) continue to cover his azz.

I've known drug addicts and the sad thing is you have to estrange them sometimes.  You can't trust them.  It's hard to be friends with somebody you can't trust.  This goes for drunks too.  They will lie to you.  They will steal from you.  They will walk all over your feelings while you watch them destroy their lives. 

I know one thing, if I ever got hooked on dope or booze, I would have turned into exactly that.
:(

I'm no angel myself.  My own struggles with depression caused me to lie to my friends and deceive my family.  It kept me from doing the things a person needs to do to get by in the world.  With me, the word "borrow" meant "give," and everyone knew it.  Anyway, that's off-topic.  I guess I'm in a confessional mood today.

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/10 at 5:46 pm

's okay Patty I was the other person watching that show  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/16/10 at 5:24 am

's okay Patty I was the other person watching that show  ;D

I think I remember watching it.  ???

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/10 at 5:31 pm

So Feldman is not going to go to the funeral.  He is refusing to give much interviews apparently because of what the media is making out of it, much like they did with Michael Jackson ...

The Media when Haim was alive:  He's weird, strange, and a B-Lister who probably won't ever recover
The Media now that he is dead:  He was a talented actor who never got the comeback he so deserved. 

Written By: Howard on 03/17/10 at 6:16 am

So Feldman is not going to go to the funeral.  He is refusing to give much interviews apparently because of what the media is making out of it, much like they did with Michael Jackson ...

The Media when Haim was alive:  He's weird, strange, and a B-Lister who probably won't ever recover
The Media now that he is dead:  He was a talented actor who never got the comeback he so deserved. 

sounds fishy to me.  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/10 at 9:47 am

sounds fishy to me.  ::)

Nope, it just the media.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/10 at 9:50 am

By the way, Corey had his funeral, yesterday in Toronto. Corey Feldman opted to stay in Los Angeles, to avoid any media for the funeral, out of respect for the family.

Instead, he will be hosting a memorial service fur him, sometime probably next week in Los Angeles.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/10 at 6:04 pm

By the way, Corey had his funeral, yesterday in Toronto. Corey Feldman opted to stay in Los Angeles, to avoid any media for the funeral, out of respect for the family.

Instead, he will be hosting a memorial service fur him, sometime probably next week in Los Angeles.

Feldman made the right decision.  He's made a lot of wrong decisions in his life.  Good to see him making the right ones.  If Feldman is still using drugs, I hope the death of his friend will put the fear of God in him to stop.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/10 at 6:31 pm

Feldman made the right decision.  He's made a lot of wrong decisions in his life.  Good to see him making the right ones.  If Feldman is still using drugs, I hope the death of his friend will put the fear of God in him to stop.

Apparently, he has been clean for some time now, his friend's death will definitely insure that he stays on the straight and narrow, drug wise, I think.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/10 at 6:33 pm

An arrest has been made in connection with the California investigation into the death of Canadian-born actor Corey Haim, according to a CNN.com report.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/03/17/arrest-drugs-ring.html

Written By: Howard on 03/17/10 at 6:36 pm

An arrest has been made in connection with the California investigation into the death of Canadian-born actor Corey Haim, according to a CNN.com report.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/03/17/arrest-drugs-ring.html

But how could you arrest someone if they're already dead?  ???

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/17/10 at 6:37 pm

But how could you arrest someone if they're already dead?  ???

;D ;D THEY DIDN'T ARREST COREY HAIM!!!!!!!!!!!!  HOLY CRAP, HOWARD!!!

Written By: Howard on 03/17/10 at 6:38 pm

;D ;D THEY DIDN'T ARREST COREY HAIM!!!!!!!!!!!!  HOLY CRAP, HOWARD!!!

But who was the one who was arrested?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 03/17/10 at 6:51 pm

Oh howard.... you really should try clicking the links people put in their posts.  ::)

for the record CBC News misspelled phony.... unless they spell it with an 'e' in Canada

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/10 at 6:53 pm

But who was the one who was arrested?  ???

Some doctors who may have prescribed the pills, that killed him, and were apparently illegal.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/10 at 6:55 pm

Some doctors who may have prescribed the pills, that killed him, and were apparently illegal.

And one of my friends said that there over a thousand pills, were found according to the news.

So, what if anything does mean for Dr. Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's doctor, who prescribed the pills, that killed him?

???

Written By: Howard on 03/17/10 at 7:17 pm

Oh Ok Thank You.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/10 at 9:46 pm

Oh Ok Thank You.

Your welcome.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/10 at 6:38 am

Maybe if he wasn't into the drugs/alcohol he wouldn't look the way he did,just a thought.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/10 at 5:39 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/17/corey.haim.arrest/index.html

The AG's office isn't revealing anything about exactly who was arrested, but the news wires say there has only been one arrest so far, and it was an individual involved in a drug prescription forging ring. 

If Mr. Haim could get 20 scrips from 15 different doctors (or whatever the true number is) he was an adept participant in what they call "uttering a forged instrument."  In other words, getting himself phony prescriptions for drugs.  Haim had a serious problem, and it is tragic nobody could intervene in time to save his life.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/10 at 2:45 pm

Lately, the Lost Boys, is being shown more than usual on TV.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/10 at 2:59 pm

Lately, the Lost Boys, is being shown more than usual on TV.

must be a good thing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/20/10 at 3:11 pm

Someone should show License To Drive on TV one of these days.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/20/10 at 3:41 pm

If Mr. Haim could get 20 scrips from 15 different doctors (or whatever the true number is) he was an adept participant in what they call "uttering a forged instrument."  In other words, getting himself phony prescriptions for drugs.  Haim had a serious problem, and it is tragic nobody could intervene in time to save his life.

Or... he could have gone "doctor shopping" and simply found enuf doctors to prescribe that junk to him (who did not know that other docs were doing the same thing).

But likely in this case that he was using forged scripts.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/08/10 at 8:24 am

According to one news outlet, he had over 553 pills, on him, before his untimely death.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100408/NEWS0107/4080327/-1/RSSNEWSMAP

Written By: Howard on 04/08/10 at 6:45 pm

According to one news outlet, he had over 553 pills, on him, before his untimely death.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100408/NEWS0107/4080327/-1/RSSNEWSMAP

1 pill should've been suffice not 553 pills. ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/10 at 2:51 pm

The memorial service that would have taken place in L.A., was scrapped and it end up being a private dinner, instead, with some of Corey's friends, including Corey Feldman, Kristy Swanson, Todd Bridges, Nicole Eggert and Robyn Lively, as well as Haim's mother.

The memorial itself was scrapped because Haim's mother, Judy, was still too upset and too ill to attend such a big event.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/w0002287.html

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/05/10 at 11:21 am

The autopsy results are finally in, the cause of death was respiratory distress, pneumonia and coronary disease.

http://www.dose.ca/Corey+Haim+Died+Natural+Causes/2989419/story.html

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/05/10 at 5:12 pm

The autopsy results are finally in, the cause of death was respiratory distress, pneumonia and coronary disease.

http://www.dose.ca/Corey+Haim+Died+Natural+Causes/2989419/story.html

Wow he was fairly young to by dying from heart problems....

Written By: Howard on 05/05/10 at 7:02 pm

Wow he was fairly young to by dying from heart problems....

Wow, and he had so much in him.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...