inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Merlin Olsen Dead

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/10 at 12:18 pm

Merlin Olsen, famous for his role on "Little House on the Prairie", and the FTD Flowers spokesman, died today at age 69.  He died from a case of mesothelioma.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/sports/football/12olsen.html

Subject: Re: Merlin Olsen Dead

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/10 at 12:28 pm

How sad. He always seemed like a nice guy to me.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 03/11/10 at 5:41 pm

All these stars from my childhood are dying....they need to stop it.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Olsen.  You were a class act and you will be missed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/10 at 6:06 pm

With Michael Landon and Merlin Olsen gone now, I guess we won't be seeing a LHOTP reunion show.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 03/11/10 at 7:08 pm

I remember him from those commercials he used to do.

RIP Merlin Olsen.  :\'(

Written By: Frank on 03/11/10 at 11:46 pm

I remember watching him play ( Yes, I'm old) with the Rams. Nice front four back then. Deacon Jones, Rosie Greer. forgot the other guys name.

I also remember him as color commentator on NBC football with Dick Enberg.
A gentle giant.

Written By: ninny on 03/12/10 at 5:24 am

All these stars from my childhood are dying....they need to stop it.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Olsen.  You were a class act and you will be missed.

I agree this is another person I remember fondly  from Little House and also his football days. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 03/12/10 at 6:33 am

I remember watching him play ( Yes, I'm old) with the Rams. Nice front four back then. Deacon Jones, Rosie Greer. forgot the other guys name.

I also remember him as color commentator on NBC football with Dick Enberg.
A gentle giant.

He must've played football in the 70's and 80's?  ???

Written By: topforty on 03/12/10 at 9:38 am

Merlin played pro football in the 60's into the mid 70's.  For certain, one of the best defensive lineman of his generation and also ranks up there with the best ever. In the early 70's, it seemed like every year the Rams were playing the Vikings in the playoffs.

Somebody here also mentioned Olsen did NFL broadcasts with Dick Enberg.  They were a fantastic team of announcers for NBC.  If Enberg and Olsen were doing the game, you knew it had to be a huge contest.

RIP Big Guy, you will be missed.

Written By: Frank on 03/12/10 at 11:12 am

He must've played football in the 70's and 80's?  ???

He retired in 1976.

Merlin played pro football in the 60's into the mid 70's.  For certain, one of the best defensive lineman of his generation and also ranks up there with the best ever. In the early 70's, it seemed like every year the Rams were playing the Vikings in the playoffs.

I also remember the Rams and Vikings meeting each other a lot during those times in the playoffs, same as Rams and Cowboys.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/10 at 12:21 pm

Somebody here also mentioned Olsen did NFL broadcasts with Dick Enberg.  They were a fantastic team of announcers for NBC.  If Enberg and Olsen were doing the game, you knew it had to be a huge contest.

RIP Big Guy, you will be missed.

Wasn't Little House On The Prarie after 1976?  ???

Written By: Frank on 03/12/10 at 3:57 pm

Wasn't Little House On The Prarie after 1976?  ???

Yes. But I don't understand why you put ???

Written By: Howard on 03/13/10 at 6:34 am

Yes. But I don't understand why you put ???

Cause I don't remember if Little House On The Prarie was late 60's or late 70's?

Written By: Frank on 03/15/10 at 12:24 am

Cause I don't remember if Little House On The Prarie was late 60's or late 70's?

LHOTP started in the mid 70s.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/10 at 6:49 am

LHOTP started in the mid 70s.

Thank You.

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/10 at 5:39 pm

Yet another person I thought died about 10 years ago... RIP Merlin.

Check for new replies or respond here...