inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: OMG! Dixie Carter died!

Written By: Dagwood on 04/10/10 at 11:12 pm

:\'(

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100411/US.Obit.Dixie.Carter/

Designing Women' actress Dixie Carter dies at 70
LOS ANGELES — "Designing Women" actress Dixie Carter, who used her charm and stately beauty in a host of roles on Broadway and television, died Saturday. She was 70.

Publicist Steve Rohr, who represents Carter and her husband, actor Hal Holbrook, said Carter died Saturday morning. He would not disclose where she died or the cause of death.

"This has been a terrible blow to our family," Holbrook said in a written statement. "We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy."

A native of Tennessee, Carter was most famous for playing quick-witted Southerner Julia Sugarbaker for seven years on "Designing Women," the CBS sitcom that ran from 1986 to 1993.

She was nominated for an Emmy in 2007 for her seven-episode guest stint on the ABC hit "Desperate Housewives."

Carter's other credits include roles on the series "Family Law" and "Different Strokes."

She had been married to Holbrook since 1984.

Subject: Re: OMG! Dixie Carter died!

Written By: nally on 04/10/10 at 11:18 pm

RIP Ms Carter. :\'( :\'(

I got nothin' else right now.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/11/10 at 12:05 am

I really love her.  :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/11/10 at 6:13 am

I'm so very sad to hear of Dixie's unexpected passing. I always loved her portrayal of opinionated and intelligent Julia Sugarbaker on Designing Women. She was a wonderful actress and also a very talented singer. I remember some time ago when Dixie was asked to sing My Old Kentucky Home at the Kentucky Derby one year... it brought tears to the eyes of the audience. She will definitely be missed... :(

Written By: Howard on 04/11/10 at 6:43 am

I remember her on Different Strokes in 1985 and she played Conrad Bain's wife who took care of Danny Cooksey who played the kid with orange hair.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/11/10 at 7:43 am

I remember her on Different Strokes in 1985 and she played Conrad Bain's wife who took care of Danny Cooksey who played the kid with orange hair.

RIP, Dixie.  :\'(

I think that if we are going to see a Diff'rent Strokes reunion show, they'd better get cracking while most of the original players are still with us.

I hope Dixie says hello to Dana..

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/10 at 9:53 am

:\'(

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20100411/US.Obit.Dixie.Carter/

I just saw this.... >:(  I thought for sure Hal Holbrook would go first.... this pisses me off! seriously!
and saddens me... but mostly I get pissed when we lose the good ones. I'm so glad I had the chance to see her at the designing women reunion paley did.... I wish I'd gotten a pic.
But she did the famous line "Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia" line from the first season of Designing women she did it live for us and she remembered all the words.... maybe she studied it but whatever it was awesome to sit there and recite with her cuz I know it too! .... I'm gonna go see if I can find it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz_ZpoYBzaw

She had such a great delivery!!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/10 at 9:57 am

speaking of her great delivery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVl4bmGcn3c&feature=related

Written By: snozberries on 04/11/10 at 10:03 am

here's the clip from the Paley event..... at 1:48 seconds look for me fourth row, right behind the guy in the white shirt and tie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldVIIOIM0E4&feature=related

they cut it before she said the lines....

Written By: ninny on 04/11/10 at 11:03 am

R.I.P  Dixie  :\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/11/10 at 11:06 am

Rest in peace, you will be sadly missed by all.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/10 at 4:24 pm

I remember when she joined the cast of Diff'rent Strokes, I hated her character so much, I nearly stopped watching.  But then came Designing Women and restored my like in her as an actress, and eventually warmed to her on reruns of Strokes.  Designing Women was an awesome show and I proudly own the first 3 seasons on DVD.

R.I.P. to a great actress :\'(

Written By: Howard on 04/11/10 at 6:43 pm

RIP, Dixie.  :\'(

I think that if we are going to see a Diff'rent Strokes reunion show, they'd better get cracking while most of the original players are still with us.

I hope Dixie says hello to Dana..

We have Todd Bridges,Gary Coleman and Conrad Bain.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/10 at 11:31 am

We have Todd Bridges,Gary Coleman and Conrad Bain.

Danny Cooksey and Charlotte Rae are also with us too.  It could be an almost-awesome reunion show.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/12/10 at 6:50 pm

Danny Cooksey and Charlotte Rae are also with us too.  It could be an almost-awesome reunion show.  :)

Dody Goodman who was also on the show died 2 1/2 years ago and the old lady with white hair passed away many years ago,I forgot her name?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 04/12/10 at 11:58 pm

Dody Goodman who was also on the show died 2 1/2 years ago and the old lady with white hair passed away many years ago,I forgot her name?  ???

nedra volz! I liked her...

Written By: Howard on 04/13/10 at 5:26 am

nedra volz! I liked her...

Thanks,I remember her,she played the grandmother or was it the maid?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 04/13/10 at 11:45 am

Thanks,I remember her,she played the grandmother or was it the maid?  ???

grandmotherly maid  :D

Written By: Howard on 04/13/10 at 2:53 pm

grandmotherly maid  :D

She played Adelaide Brubaker.

Written By: Midas on 04/13/10 at 2:55 pm

Probably because...he had orange hair :D

RIP Dixie.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/10 at 2:57 pm

Probably because...he had orange hair :D

RIP Dixie.

I don't know if many people remember Danny Cooksey.

Check for new replies or respond here...