inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Man behind Frank Sidebottom, Chris Sievey, dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/10 at 12:41 pm

The man behind comedian, musician and North West showbiz legend Frank Sidebottom has died.

It is understood entertainer Chris Sievey collapsed at his home in Hale, Greater Manchester, in the early hours.

The 54-year-old was pronounced dead at Wythenshawe Hospital in Greater Manchester, a spokeswoman confirmed.

Known for his over-sized, papier-mache head, he found fame through a series of TV appearances in the 1980s and remained a popular cult comedy figure.

He had been recovering from treatment to a tumour on his chest, his agent Nigel Round said.

"He said to me everything was going to be OK. It was obviously worse than what he was telling people," Mr Round said

"I think he wanted to protect everyone."

Mr Round, who had represented Mr Sievey for the past five years, added: "He was such a talented man to dream up something like that.

"I don't think there will be another one like him."

Subject: Re: Man behind Frank Sidebottom, Chris Sievey, dies

Written By: Paul on 06/21/10 at 2:46 pm

While his act was something of an acquired taste, he certainly was one of life's great eccentrics and will be missed, especially by the student crowd...

Before Frank, Chris was a member of The Freshies, who had a minor hit with (deep breath) 'I'm In Love With The Girl On A Certain Manchester Megastore Checkout Desk'...

Written By: Howard on 06/21/10 at 2:56 pm

RIP Chris.  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/21/10 at 7:10 pm

RIP...

Check for new replies or respond here...