inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: RIP Maury Chaykin 1949-2010

Written By: snozberries on 07/28/10 at 3:50 pm

Maury Chaykin died today, his 61st birthday. TV works include Nero Wolfe Mystery (which he starred in), Entourage, Eureka, SG-1, Due South, La Femme Nikita, Twilight Zone (1985 series) & more.

Subject: Re: RIP Maury Chaykin 1949-2010

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/10 at 9:02 pm

A sad loss to a great Canadian talent.  The entire grit eating world will miss you :(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/29/10 at 11:34 am

His last show was the series, Less Than Kind, and ironically part of season 2's plot line, involved him being in the hospital, and his family wondering if he would die or not.

Rest in peace, Maury Chaykin, you will be sadly missed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/10 at 6:26 pm

My favorite Chaykin role was when he played real-life assassin Claude Vealey in 1985's Act of Vengeance.  That production also included a very young Keanu Reeves as Abrun "Buddy" Martin, and a young Ellen Barkin in the role of Annette Gilly.

Convincing acting by all players in this excellent retelling of the deaths of United Mineworkers outcast (and hero) Jock Yablonski, his wife, and daughter back in 1969.

The dialogue between Reaves and Chaykin is amongst the coolest in cinema history:

Buddy Martin: When we get to Charleston they have this place where the girls let you... Well, did you ever put your hand... I mean, your whole FREAKING hand inside a lady?

Claude Vealey: What? Put your hand inside a lady? Hell, I SHOT my old lady and she didn't even press charges.

RIP Maury, you did it right...  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...