inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mitch Miller Sits Down His Baton for Good...

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/10 at 2:34 pm

Mitch Miller, the goatied, stiff-armed, baton-swinging conductor, bit it on Saturday at the ripe age of 99.  :\'(

Back in the 60's my brothers and I used to watch "Sing Along With Mitch" on TV, and swing our arms as conductors.

RIP Mitch. Thanx for the fun memories and good music.  :)

Subject: Re: Mitch Miller Sits Down His Baton for Good...

Written By: Paul on 08/02/10 at 2:47 pm

Finally departed, has he? I know he was clocking up some years, but 99! That's some going!

He meant almost nothing on this side of the pond (I don't think his celebrated singalong shows were ever aired here, which is a shame), but his backroom endeavours certainly lit up the charts before rock and roll swept him (and a lot of the artists he produced) away...

RIP Mitch...the man who had a cracking sense of style when it came to beards!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/10 at 2:58 pm

I thought he died a long time ago.  :-[

R.I.P.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 08/02/10 at 3:04 pm

Plus, he also managed to royally piss off Frank Sinatra, which makes him some sort of hero in my book!  :D

Written By: nally on 08/02/10 at 3:29 pm

I wasn't aware that he was still around, either! (Up until now, that is.) R.I.P. Mitch.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/02/10 at 6:27 pm

In tribute to Mitch I offer up this YouTube clip of Sing Along With Mitch from 1964. It's funny, but this is so corny and square that it's almost cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dY9gtYeHhk

(See if you can spot Bob from Sesame Street!  ;))

Written By: Howard on 08/02/10 at 6:43 pm

RIP Mr.Miller.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/10 at 9:43 pm

Mitch Miller was great!  "Just follow the bouncing ball!"  I also thought he was deceased. 
8)

Ninety-nine years old.  Wow!  He was the same generation as my grandparents, who referred to rock 'n' roll as "the noise."

It's too bad he didn't like rock 'n' roll music when he was the A&R guy at Mercury.  He passed on Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly!  I think some of that was generational.
:-\\

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/04/10 at 1:40 pm

Looks like he didn't want a letter from Obama next year.

That aside, he was the one who had Bob Dylan and Paul Simon on Columbia Records (Though he liked them as much as Sinatra).

Maybe next year, they'll be a 4th of July Celebration of his 100th B-Day...though he won't be around to see it. But Tony Bennet, Johnny Mathis, George Clooney, Frank Sinatra Jr., Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, and The Byrds will.

Check for new replies or respond here...