inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Former Alaskan Senator Ted "Bridge To Nowhere" Stevens Died In Plane Crash

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/10 at 3:11 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100810/ap_on_bi_ge/us_alaska_plane_crash

Cat

Subject: Re: Former Alaskan Senator Ted "Bridge To Nowhere" Stevens Died In Plane Crash

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/10/10 at 4:13 pm

That was bad how he got crashed...I didn't know how bad it was.

RIP anyhow....

Subject: Re: Former Alaskan Senator Ted "Bridge To Nowhere" Stevens Died In Plane Crash

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/10/10 at 8:49 pm

Sen. Stevens, I salute you - unlike most of us, you manged to die doing not only what you were best at, but you died doing what you loved.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/10 at 12:20 am

Stevens really hung in there for the long haul.  Alaska was his state.  Stevens' late wife, Ann, died in a plane crash in 1978.

I think the chances of dying in an aircraft accident must be highest in Alaska.  They have all these little bush planes around all the mountains and fog.  Terrible stuff happens to small aircraft. 

Goodbye, Ted Stevens, may God have mercy on your soul.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/10 at 6:50 am

RIP Ted Stevens. :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/12/10 at 9:52 pm

And now that the body's finally cold...

Sen. Stevens, I salute you - unlike most of us, you manged to die doing not only what you were best at, but you died doing what you loved.

Yeah, as in hanging out with telco execs, heading to a telco company's private lodge aboard aforementioned telco company's aircraft.

Somehow I forgot that part the first time through.

...ten lobbyists flying across that, that state, and what happens to your own airplane? I just the other day got... an airplane was sent by GCI at 10 o'clock in the morning on Sunday. I got it this morning. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things flying commercially. They want to deliver vast amounts of people over the state. And again, the airspace is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big pair of wings. It's a series of metal tu(man, this is just too easy)fuselages. And if you don't understand, those fuselages can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your flight plan in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that airspace enormous amounts of airplanes, enormous amounts of airplanes...

(And since someone's also made the obligatory RIP reference, cue the router jokes...)

# ping tubes.senate.gov
Reply from tubes.senate.gov: TTL expired in transit
tubes.senate.gov: 1 packet transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/10 at 10:29 pm

...ten lobbyists flying across that, that state, and what happens to your own airplane? I just the other day got... an airplane was sent by GCI at 10 o'clock in the morning on Sunday. I got it this morning. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things flying commercially. They want to deliver vast amounts of people over the state. And again, the airspace is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big pair of wings. It's a series of metal tu(man, this is just too easy)fuselages. And if you don't understand, those fuselages can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your flight plan in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that airspace enormous amounts of airplanes, enormous amounts of airplanes...

Can you dumb that down a little for me?  It's a little opaque.
:-[

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/12/10 at 11:14 pm

Can you dumb that down a little for me?  It's a little opaque.
:-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOoQFa5ug8

And if you want the original quote:

"Ten movies streaming across that, that Internet, and what happens to your own personal Internet? I just the other day got...an Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday. I got it yesterday . Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the Internet commercially. They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material."
 - Sen. Ted Stevens, June 28, 2006.

To translate:

"Those P2P movies (because Netflix's streaming service didn't exist, but he'd blame it today) streaming across the Internet.  Not the ones from the pay-per-view thing on the Comcast set top box.  In other words, all the stuff that people have invented and are doing right now, but which my lobbyists haven't figured out how to monetize?  What happens to the stuff they have figured out the people want, but have only poorly attmpted to monetize?  Someone sent me an email at 10:00 am on Friday, but I didn't get it until Tuesday.  Why?  (Not because my staffer was lying, or because whoever prints out my emails forgot to hand it off to me, or even because my local mail server was poorly provisioned and bogged down with spam, but) because it was the fault of all those things the lobbyists from AT&T talked about.  Yeah.  My email was delayed for 3 days because of those P2P copyright pirates and people streaming funny videos through Youtube instead of through the pay-per-view offered by Comcast or AT&T.  Not the "free" stuff (like 50 text messages a month or the channels that come with basic cable), but the "commercial" stuff (how dare Youtube try to make a buck selling banner ads to AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon customers without paying royalties to Comcast, AT&T, or Verizon in on it!).  Every bit that passes through these networks without my lobbyists getting a cut, well, that's why my email was delayed for 3 days!"

I can forgive him calling an email an "Internet".  (We call a facsimilie transmission a "Fax", after all).  What I can't forgive is his assertion - backed likely by sincere belief - that someone who uses email so infrequently as to call it an "internet", somehow was able to deduce that the reason one of his emails from his staffers didn't land on his desk (hint: this story probably involves a printer...) for three days, was because of bandwidth-hogging, non-royalty-paying, movie-watching folks who'd clogged his tubes.

It's OK if your grandfather misunderstands the Internet like this.  

It's not OK when the Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee misunderstands it like this.  

The saddest thing is I'll bet he believed every word of his rant.  He died not only without having the faintest idea of why, or how much he was wrong, but that he died not thinking that he was wrong at all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/10 at 11:31 pm

Oh, I see, you were quoting Stevens himself!  I remember the "series of tubes" part. 

Is P2P sharing really significant in the available bandwidth compared to the rest of the Internet traffic?

I think I remember emails getting delayed on Hotmail in the '90s, but that was usually because there was something wrong with the address, not because of high-volume traffic.  I didn't used to be able to sign onto Hotmail sometimes because of high traffice.  You'd get a message about an email from last week you forgot you even sent.

I never have that problem with gmail.  It tells me immediately if there was a problem.  It also tracks every word I type.  Sometimes you'll be on gmail and you'll type "plate" or "shrimp" or a "plate o'shrimp" and a plate o'shrimp will appear on the sidebar! 

It's like a cosmic coincidence thing!
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/14/10 at 10:08 pm

Is P2P sharing really significant in the available bandwidth compared to the rest of the Internet traffic?

It's a chunk, but it has nothing to do with whether your email gets from one mail provider to another within three days.  Maybe three seconds.  Any delay past about that point is the fault of the mail provider not adequately provisioning its own resources.  

The internet was named "internet" because it was a network that used common protocols to join networks that were composed of smaller networks.  The Google Network (a bunch of machines hosted by Google) can deliver video to Your Network (the part between your phone jack, cable demarcation point, and the DSL-modem/cable-modem/wireless-hub) that delivers content to the machines (laptop, desktop, gaming console, and increasingly, the television itself) only as long as Google pays its ISP (and you pay your ISP) for connectivity.

That worked just fine when AT&T provided the telephone network, you provided the dial-up modem, and (Netcom, Mindspring, Earthlink, Compu$serve, AOL, etc) provided the bits.  Now that dial-up is dying, and the telcos have realized that even voice communications (be it VOIP, wireless service, etc) are merely data streams over a TCP/IP backbone that take up less bandwidth than the typical YouTube video... they want a piece of the pie beyond the piece they've already gotten.

So yeah, just because AT&T's (Sorry, AT&T.  This applies just as much to Qwest, SBC, Verizon, Comcast, or any telco) taking your $30/month to carry your "gimme some video" requests to GoogTube, and GoogTube's paying $30M/month (I'm guessing) for the really fat pipe it takes to deliver the resulting 20-megabyte stream of video to your web browser... well, that doesn't matter much to AT&T.

AT&T wants to get out of the business of being a dumb hauler-of-bits and into the business of delivering the content itself.  AT&T calls it "U-Verse".  Comcast calls it "Triple Play".  And if you want to start some crazy service where You could control what was on the Tube, well, for some strange reason that's not gonna work at $30M/month.  By a staggering coincicence, we're gonna make sure it doesn't work at any price less than what it would cost you to hire us to deliver those bits...

Network neutrality is important because in a world without network neutrality, the telcos determine what gets to go on "their" network, and they create stuff like Minitel.  Neat technology for its day, but as the local monopoly, they charge a fortune for it, never update it, and wonder inexplicably when nobody uses it.

I don't want an intelligent network.  I want a stupid network.  A stupid network means that the guy with the crazy idea of serving little tiles of satellite imagery can make money if he ties it into something like Google Maps.  Telco executives charging $1.00 per "video message" would never create a network stupid enough to provide millions of people with the piano-playing cat, Tron Guy, or the Dramatic Look Prairie Dog, but a Stupid Network let such a thing exist for long enough - and pick up enough viewers - that someone was willing to  $1.65 billion dollars for it.

AT&T has been saying "our network, our rules" since 1956.  If AT&T had won its lawsuit, we'd be dealing with 1968's rules (also finally overthrown via lawsuit) and using acoustic couplers.  

The humble dialup modem was fought against by the incumbent telcos of the day.  Today's fight for network neutrality is the same damn fight that's been going on for more than 50 years: vendor lock-in is anticompetitive, anticapitalistic, and anti-innovation.  Always has been, always will be, and it doesn't matter whether the guy arguing for the incumbent telecom company's natural lock-in has an (R) or a (D) beside his name.  Because the telco never cared whether he had an (R) or a (D) beside his name, as long as he did what he was told when he got to Congress.

Oh, I see, you were quoting Stevens himself!  I remember the "series of tubes" part.  

http://www.karolinagames.com/horatio/images/be210bbc42c1.jpg

...and the preceding paragraph or so is why this meme accurately encapsulates my real reaction to the news of Ted's untimely demise.  (Untimely, as in, about five years too late for the good of the technology industry, which has innovated despite the wishes of the incumbent telcos, whose only use for technology has been to compress a million $3.00/minute long distance phone calls onto a single land line, and to charge $0.20 for a 140-byte text message.  They transmit it in out-of-band and it quite literally costs then nothing, but they charge more than four times per byte as data from the Hubble telescope when you send an SMS / text message.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/10 at 1:02 am

To boil it down even further...today's technology has supplanted yesterday's technology. 

I don't even have a land line anymore.  A cell phone is much cheaper and much more convenient for a single person.  I found that out years ago.  If you have a family, then it's still good to have a land line.  Also, businesses with cell phone only appear sketchy!

Check for new replies or respond here...