inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Former Liberal Democrat MP Cyril Smith dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/10 at 12:35 pm

The veteran Liberal Democrat politician Sir Cyril Smith has died at the age of 82, the party has confirmed.

Sir Cyril represented the constituency of Rochdale as an MP, both for the Liberal Party and the Liberal Democrats, for 20 years.

He was one of the party's most recognisable and high-profile figures, retiring from Parliament in 1992.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said Sir Cyril was a "larger-than-life" character who would be missed.

Sir Cyril was chief whip during Jeremy Thorpe's turbulent leadership of the party in the 1970s.

Subject: Re: Former Liberal Democrat MP Cyril Smith dies

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/10 at 3:20 pm

The veteran Liberal Democrat politician Sir Cyril Smith has died at the age of 82, the party has confirmed.

Sir Cyril represented the constituency of Rochdale as an MP, both for the Liberal Party and the Liberal Democrats, for 20 years.

He was one of the party's most recognisable and high-profile figures, retiring from Parliament in 1992.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said Sir Cyril was a "larger-than-life" character who would be missed.

Sir Cyril was chief whip during Jeremy Thorpe's turbulent leadership of the party in the 1970s.

What does the whip do? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/10 at 3:21 pm

What does the whip do? ???
A whip is an official in a political party whose primary purpose is to ensure party discipline in a legislature.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/10 at 4:06 pm

A whip is an official in a political party whose primary purpose is to ensure party discipline in a legislature.

Ah, I see.  He keeps the rank and file in line, and cracks the whip if they stray from the party theology.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/10 at 10:10 pm

Ah, I see.  He keeps the rank and file in line, and cracks the whip if they stray from the party theology.

The Whip?  I told his secretary I'm into all that and I'm game, but he hasn't called back!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing6.gif

Written By: Howard on 09/04/10 at 6:50 am

RIP Cyril Smith.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/10 at 1:15 pm

The Whip?  I told his secretary I'm into all that and I'm game, but he hasn't called back!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing6.gif

That's only the Democratic Washington politicians.  Cyril is British.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...