inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hot Hot Hot star Arrow dies at 60

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/10 at 9:56 am

Soca musician Alphonsus "Arrow" Cassell, best known for his dancefloor anthem Hot Hot Hot, has died at the age of 60.

He died of complications from brain cancer at his home on the Caribbean island of Montserrat, his brother said.

Despite its earworm refrain - "Ole, ole, ole, ole, feeling hot, hot hot!" - Arrow's most famous song failed to make the UK top 40 on release in 1983.

A 1994 remix reached number 38, and the song remains a party favourite.

Arrow had one other UK hit with Long Time, which reached number 30 in July 1985.

Justin Cassell said Hot Hot Hot was the highlight of his brother's career and that he "took soca to all corners of the world".

In an interview with the AP news agency after Montserrat residents were forced to leave their homes following the eruption of the Soufriere Hills volcano in 1995, Arrow said: "Soca is dance - 'feeling hot, hot hot'.

"It makes you forget that there's a volcano and there's fun to be had."

In the 1980s, Arrow, who was considered Montserrat's most famous citizen, toured Africa, the US, Europe and Japan.

Subject: Re: Hot Hot Hot star Arrow dies at 60

Written By: Henk on 09/18/10 at 10:53 am

And for those that wonder... yes, "Hot Hot Hot" was popularized (some say butchered) by Buster Poindexter (David Johansen).

Arrow failed to hit Top 40 in Holland, although he tried at least twice. Both "Dance Dis Dance" and "Long Time" got stuck in bubbling under section.

Plenty of Arrow material on YouTube, if you're interested.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/10 at 5:39 pm

Arrow and 'Hot Hot Hot' hit the Top 40 in Canada in 1984, but failed to reach the US Hot 100. 

Johansen's version did chart in both countries, but failed to reach the Top 40, further proving that you don't have to be in the Top 40 to have a popular hit as it is his version that gets radio time and compilation appearances.

For me, it's Arrow all the way though.  He brought us great music and will be sadly missed.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/10 at 6:38 pm

I like David Johansen's version a little better,had a salsa feeling to it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/18/10 at 10:02 pm

Ditto

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/10 at 12:34 am

I just remember The Cure: Hot Hot Hot!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: Howard on 09/19/10 at 6:52 am

I just remember The Cure: Hot Hot Hot!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

not the same.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/10 at 6:52 am

Ditto

plus the video was funny and corny at the same time.

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/21/10 at 3:28 pm

I'm sure that arrow as pleased with Buster Poindexter taking his song to #1. Celebrities who went to his concerts said they played "Hot Hot Hot" to close the show, and he & the backup singers would often get the audiences into a huge conga line around the clubs. Sounds like a total blast! No one I can think of would be better to speak the eulogy for Arrow than Buster.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 09/22/10 at 6:42 am

I'm sure that arrow as pleased with Buster Poindexter taking his song to #1. Celebrities who went to his concerts said they played "Hot Hot Hot" to close the show, and he & the backup singers would often get the audiences into a huge conga line around the clubs. Sounds like a total blast! No one I can think of would be better to speak the eulogy for Arrow than Buster.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Then after the eulogy,every girl and guy form a conga line.

Check for new replies or respond here...