inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Singer Eddie Fisher dead at 82

Written By: Claybricks on 09/24/10 at 3:10 am

Singer Eddie Fisher dead at 82

From Ninette Sosa, CNNRadio
September 24, 2010 4:05 a.m. EDT

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/SHOWBIZ/09/24/eddie.fisher.death/t1larg.fisher2.gi.jpg

Read more on this story at CNN affiliate KTLA

(CNN) -- One of the most popular singers of the 1950s, Eddie Fisher, has died. He was 82.

Fisher died of complications from hip surgery in his Berkeley, California, home, CNN affiliate KTLA reported.

Although Fisher sold millions of records and had his own television show, his biggest claim to fame may be his high-profile marriages to Hollywood starlets Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor and Connie Stevens -- all of which ended in divorce.

He had two more marriages after that.

Fisher also co-starred in the films "Bundle of Joy" and "Butterfield 8". Among his four children were actresses Carrie Fisher and Joely Fisher.

Fisher has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one for recording and the other for TV.

A publicist for Carrie Fisher confirmed the death in an e-mail to CNNRadio.

Carrie Fisher said recently on the micro-blogging website Twitter that her father had just undergone hip surgery.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/09/24/eddie.fisher.death/?hpt=T1

Dan

Subject: Re: Singer Eddie Fisher dead at 82

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/10 at 1:33 pm

:\'(

Written By: Paul on 09/24/10 at 2:02 pm

Probably unfairly remembered more for his amount of marriages than for his singing career...

He was the first act to visit the top of the British singles chart twice, way back in 1953...he would have undoubtedly had more big hits if we'd had a chart prior to that!

Not the most outstanding of voices, but competent enough...RIP Eddie...

Written By: Howard on 09/24/10 at 2:33 pm

RIP Eddie Fisher.  :(

Written By: nally on 09/24/10 at 7:12 pm

R.I.P. Eddie. :( I didn't know much about him (other than his failed marriages and his kids), but he'll still be missed.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/24/10 at 7:59 pm

Well we know that he did not die from that dreaded disease, lakanuki.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/10 at 9:53 pm

I didn't realize Carrie Fisher was the daughter of Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.  Squares of the Silent Generation.  Believe you me, my hippie parents did not have Eddie Fisher records, so I didn't know Fisher was a singer until I was perhaps 18. 

:\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/10 at 5:53 am

Odd, but I remember the big Eddie Fisher/Liz Taylor thing.  He left Debbie, Americas Sweetheart, for Liz and people were beside themselves for doing it.  They forgave Liz because she was, and is, Liz, and suffering from the death of Mike Todd, making her not responsible for her actions, but they never forgave Eddie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/10 at 8:34 pm

I hope Eddie Fisher doesn't get overlooked in pop music history. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/10 at 5:45 am

I hope Eddie Fisher doesn't get overlooked in pop music history. 

Think he already has.  For some reason that good old boy, devil may care, playboy image didn't stick to him like it did to others.  There are many who did worse who got a wink and a nod.

Check for new replies or respond here...