inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Titanic actress Gloria Stuart dies at 100

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/10 at 3:58 pm

Actress Gloria Stuart, who played an elderly shipwreck survivor in the film Titanic, has died at the age of 100.

The blonde actress appeared in several films during the 1930s, before retiring from acting in 1946.

Stuart resumed acting in later years and at 87 became the oldest actor ever to be nominated for an Oscar for her performance as Rose Calvert, a 101-year-old Titanic survivor.

Stuart died in her sleep in her Los Angeles home, her family said.

The native Californian also starred in The Invisible Man and two Shirley Temple movies.

Stuart, who studied drama and philosophy in college, helped found the Screen Actors Guild, a trade union that represents actors.

She was under contract with Universal Studios and 20th Century in the 1930s.

The Hollywood veteran was diagnosed with breast cancer about five years ago, but survived the disease.

"She just paid no attention to illness. She was a very strong woman and had other fish to fry," Stuart's daughter, Sylvia Thompson, said.

Titanic became the world's highest-grossing movie of all time in 1997, until the movie Avatar claimed the title in 2009.

Subject: Re: Titanic actress Gloria Stuart dies at 100

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 9:02 pm

I'm surprised nobody has replied to this thread.

Maybe the familiarity of Titanic is wearing off.  I wouldn't know Ms. Stuart from anything else.  Titanic really is a wonderful film.  I know the stereotypes about its fans, etc.
::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/28/10 at 11:30 pm

She was Claude Rain's love interest in the "Invisible Man" (1933) which I caught on AMC (American Movie Classics) channel last year.  Excellent film, quite violent for the era. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 12:20 am

She was Claude Rain's love interest in the "Invisible Man" (1933) which I caught on AMC (American Movie Classics) channel last year.  Excellent film, quite violent for the era. 

Oh, that was Gloria Stuart?  I remember that movie.  I didn't remember she was in it. 

The Motion Picture Code (aka. the Hays Code) went into effect in 1930.  "The Invisible Man" was about as violent as the self-censoring code would allow.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/10 at 6:07 am

I wonder if Celine Dion will sing at the funeral? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/29/10 at 6:34 am

I wonder if Celine Dion will sing at the funeral? ???

You never know.

Check for new replies or respond here...