inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: JFK speech writer Ted Sorensen dies at 82

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/10 at 9:22 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/31/AR2010103102870.html

Ted Sorensen, the admired longtime assistant to President John F. Kennedy who provided his chief with many of the words and thoughts that still resonate through American life, died Sunday at New York Presbyterian Hospital of complications from a recent stroke. He was 82.

-- Washington Post, 11/01/10

Sorensen also wrote speeches for LBJ, Robert Kennedy, and Gary Hart.  He was a consummate man-behind-the-scenes with little interest in taking credit for himself.  He was also one of a few people left alive who were in President Kennedy's inner circle. 

Subject: Re: JFK speech writer Ted Sorensen dies at 82

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/10 at 12:07 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/31/AR2010103102870.html

Ted Sorensen, the admired longtime assistant to President John F. Kennedy who provided his chief with many of the words and thoughts that still resonate through American life, died Sunday at New York Presbyterian Hospital of complications from a recent stroke. He was 82.

-- Washington Post, 11/01/10

Sorensen also wrote speeches for LBJ, Robert Kennedy, and Gary Hart.  He was a consummate man-behind-the-scenes with little interest in taking credit for himself.  He was also one of a few people left alive who were in President Kennedy's inner circle. 

I thought that a friend I had when I was a kid was his daughter, but reading the obit, his daughter's name does not match up to my friend's (nor does the name of his ex-wife matches the name of my friend's mother). All these years I thought that she was his daughter and told everyone that I was friends with Ted Sorensen's daughter. I guess my friend was just another Sorensen.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/01/10 at 7:39 pm

Sorensen also wrote speeches for .... Gary Hart. 

I wonder if he wrote this Gary Hart gem...

"Follow me around. I don't care. I'm serious. If anybody wants to put a tail on me, go ahead. They'll be very bored."

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/10 at 11:20 pm

I wonder if he wrote this Gary Hart gem...

"Follow me around. I don't care. I'm serious. If anybody wants to put a tail on me, go ahead. They'll be very bored."

;D

At least Gary got some tail out of it!

And perhaps Sorensen helped the late Edward M. Kennedy write his post-Chappaquiddick speech:

"I uhhhh....Ayuhhh, I....I uhhhh, I...I...I..I..Ayuhhh...Ummm..."

Check for new replies or respond here...