inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wheel of Fortune announcer Charlie O'Donnell dies

Written By: nondiva234 on 11/04/10 at 3:10 am

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but the voice of Wheel of Fortune for 27 non-consecutive years, Charlie O'Donnell, died Monday at his home in Sherman Oaks, California at the age of 78. The November 1 episode of Wheel featured Jeopardy! announcer Johnny Gilbert taking over, despite the fact that the episode was taped months in advance. As a huge Wheel fan (some will know that I hosted a few Wheel games on here), it will take me a while to get used to not hearing his voice on Wheel any longer.

Story here: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-charlie-odonnell-20101103,0,6983688.story

Subject: Re: Wheel of Fortune announcer Charlie O'Donnell dies

Written By: nally on 11/04/10 at 11:17 am

I read about this in the newspaper yesterday morning. :\'( So sad; the man was truly a legend. I, too, will miss hearing his voice. If I remember correctly, he also served as announcer on other TV game shows...as well as on radio in the early part of his career.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/10 at 7:49 pm

I'll always remember the announcing he did for Wheel Of Fortune. :(

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/10 at 8:10 pm

A sad loss indeed.  He also announced Scrabble in the 80's.  Chuck Woolery used to sometimes call him Charlie Tuna.

Check for new replies or respond here...