inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Opera singer Shirley Verrett dies aged 79

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/10 at 1:19 am

American soprano Shirley Verrett, one of the top opera singers of the 1970s and 1980s, has died at the age of 79.

Born in New Orleans, she was known for the intensity of her performances and for battling racial prejudice over the course of her four-decade career.

First known as Shirley Verrett-Carter, she made her professional debut in 1957 and went on to sing in New York, Paris, London, and San Francisco.

Fans at La Scala in Milan once dubbed her "the Black Callas".

Best known for singing the works of Verdi and Donizetti, Verrett also appeared on Broadway in a 1994 production of Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical Carousel.

Her autobiography, I Never Walked Alone, was published in 2003.

Verrett had been suffering from heart trouble prior to her death on Friday in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Verrett is survived by Lou LoMonaco, her husband of 47 years, and their adopted daughter.

Subject: Re: Opera singer Shirley Verrett dies aged 79

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/10 at 8:46 pm

Verrett was what's called a soprano sfogato.  That is, although she was a mezzo, she covered the entire soprano range.  Her repertoire ran the gamut from Verdi to Weill.  She was on the University of Michigan School of Music, Theater & Dance, which is pretty damn prestigious.  A bunch of my favorite modern music composers started at Ann Arbor in the 1960s, but don't get me started...

R.I.P. Shirley Verrett.
:\'(

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~san/verrett2.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/09/10 at 5:51 am

She's up there with the greatest of opera singers.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/10 at 5:57 am

I wonder if she ever sang an opera wearing one of those gold Viking caps with the horns? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...