inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Elizabeth Edwards Passes Away...

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/10 at 4:55 pm

News wires have reported that Ms. Edwards passed away today at the age of 61.

R. I. P. Elizabeth, you set a good example for cancer survivors everywhere.  :)

Subject: Re: Elizabeth Edwards Passes Away...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/10 at 5:04 pm

I just read this. It is not surprising but still very sad. She was a very, very brave woman. I really hoped that she would have beaten it.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

My heart goes out to her family & friends.

R.I.P. Elizabeth.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/10 at 5:29 pm

Rest in Peace Elizabeth  :\'(

Written By: nally on 12/07/10 at 5:47 pm

This is really sad. I kinda sensed it coming, after hearing about the severity of her cancer on the news this morning. Didn't think it would happen so soon. :\'( :\'( :\'(

As Cat said above, Ms Edwards was quite a brave woman indeed.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/07/10 at 6:26 pm

How sad!  She was a fighter  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Elizabeth Edwards

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/07/10 at 6:30 pm

This is really sad. I kinda sensed it coming, after hearing about the severity of her cancer on the news this morning. Didn't think it would happen so soon. :\'( :\'( :\'(

As Cat said above, Ms Edwards was quite a brave woman indeed.

Amen to both of those sentiments, Cat and Jeff. I'm glad it was a nice quick goodbye, freeing Elizabeth of the cancer, being chained to that cheating bastard John(he's the one who deserved to die!), and her separation from her late son Wade. From what I understand, being reunited with him gave her the most comfort in the end.

RIP Elizabeth, you won't be forgotten.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/07/10 at 7:31 pm

Ow cancer...especially Breast Cancer.

I hope for the people who died of Breast Cancer and are diagnosed get the relief of recovery. :-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 12/07/10 at 7:45 pm

I was surprised she went so fast, I just read earlier today that she could no longer be treated. At least her pain is now over, may she rest in peace.  :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/10 at 8:09 pm

Rest in peace, Mrs. Edwards.  You will be missed.  My prayers go out to her family, especially her children.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/10 at 8:11 pm

May you rest in eternal peace Miss Edwards,We all loved you.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/10 at 11:13 am

I was surprised she went so fast, I just read earlier today that she could no longer be treated. At least her pain is now over, may she rest in peace.  :\'(

That happens frequently. By the time they (cancer victims) reach the decision to stop treatment, they basically stop fighting, too and the end usually comes fairly quickly.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/10 at 7:34 pm

That happens frequently. By the time they (cancer victims) reach the decision to stop treatment, they basically stop fighting, too and the end usually comes fairly quickly.

I knew Mrs. Edwards would die of her cancer at some point, but it's still so sad to hear of it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

I thought it had metastasized into her pancreas.  Breast cancer generally isn't fatal until it spreads to vital organs. 

There is a cancer culture myth that says you can beat it if you just have the right attitude.

My brother-in-law had granular cell carcinoma that metastasized into his liver.  He was a fighter.  He had all the right attitudes.  He faced the disease with great heroism...and he died ninety days after the metastatic diagnosis.  That's just the way it goes.
:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/10 at 12:30 pm

I knew Mrs. Edwards would die of her cancer at some point, but it's still so sad to hear of it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

I thought it had metastasized into her pancreas.  Breast cancer generally isn't fatal until it spreads to vital organs. 

There is a cancer culture myth that says you can beat it if you just have the right attitude.

My brother-in-law had granular cell carcinoma that metastasized into his liver.  He was a fighter.  He had all the right attitudes.  He faced the disease with great heroism...and he died ninety days after the metastatic diagnosis.  That's just the way it goes.
:(

Not ALL cancer is fatal. Look at Carlos. He is now "Cancer-Free Carlos."

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/10 at 12:38 pm

Not ALL cancer is fatal. Look at Carlos. He is now "Cancer-Free Carlos."

Cat

If they catch it early, they can often stop it from spreading.  Once it has spread to vital organs, bones, or blood, it is much more likely to be terminal.  I didn't mean to suggest people with a cancer diagnosis should give up.  However, no amount of positive thinking was going to save Mrs. Edwards. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/10 at 1:03 pm

If they catch it early, they can often stop it from spreading.  Once it has spread to vital organs, bones, or blood, it is much more likely to be terminal.  I didn't mean to suggest people with a cancer diagnosis should give up.  However, no amount of positive thinking was going to save Mrs. Edwards. 

I agree-catching it early is the definitely increases survival odds.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/09/10 at 8:15 pm

Cat

getting a checkup is key.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/10 at 11:44 am

Wow......  Just wow.

>:(

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/controversial-church-protest-elizabeth-edawards-funeral/story?id=12364430

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/10/10 at 1:13 pm

DISGUSTING!

No one on Earth has the right to say a deceased person is going to hell AT THEIR FUNERAL! How dare they!
John deserved to be condemned, I agree, but to attack poor Elizabeth after she's suffered so, and now cannot even defend herself?
These people may be churchgoers, but they are certainly not Christians. How conveniently they forget that little piece of scripture,

"Judge not lest ye be judged." & "Forgive, and you will be forgiven".
Though I won't deny, they are easier said than done, these false Christians aren't even trying.

Your Incensed Pal,
Doc

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/10 at 1:29 pm

" So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

John 8:7

So those Westboro Baptist douches, should think twice about protesting someone's funeral.

Elizabeth Edwards and her family, have been though enough already!

Words can not describe how mad  I am at that "Church".

Written By: Howard on 12/10/10 at 7:58 pm

Why would they want to protest? What did she do?  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/11/10 at 7:19 pm

My brother-in-law had granular cell carcinoma that metastasized into his liver.  He was a fighter.  He had all the right attitudes.  He faced the disease with great heroism...and he died ninety days after the metastatic diagnosis.  That's just the way it goes.

This.

The Secret?  The Secret is that if you wish loud enough that an advertising executive hears about it, you can get on TV with Oprah, but you'll still die, because cancer cells don't care what you're wishing for.

Two patients, two cases, two approaches, and sometimes it's still the same outcome.  So what's the difference?  The difference is that Edwards gave herself a chance.  Tinkham denied herself that chance.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/10 at 10:45 am

Why would they want to protest? What did she do?  ???

1)  Her Husband's affair and the birth after wards.

2)  Her son, Wade died in car accident. Apparently, Edwards questioned her faith in God, after Wade's death.

3)  Fred Phelps and his followers, are jerks.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/10 at 12:32 pm

1)  Her Husband's affair and the birth after wards.

2)  Her son, Wade died in car accident. Apparently, Edwards questioned her faith in God, after Wade's death.

Wow,that's sad.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/12/10 at 1:50 pm

Cat

That's why pancreatic cancer is so insidious.  Its symptoms are the same as an achy back and other normal aches and pains, and often in the early stages there are no symptoms.  By the time the cancer is diagnosed it usually has progressed too far to be cured.

I am extremely fortunate that nobody in my family has ever gotten cancer, other than some easy-to-treat skin cancers, and my grandmother who contracted cancer as a result of radiation poisoning.

On the other hand heart disease is rampant in my family.  My Mum has been in the hospital for 3 months as she is in the end stages of congestive heart failure, which sux.  :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/10 at 3:34 pm

Wow,that's sad.

Something that Fred Phelps will never get.

::)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/10 at 6:15 pm

IMO, this is the only reason.  They hide behind the mask of "religion".  I refuse to call them Christian because a true Christian wouldn't do that.  God wants us to love one another and what Phelps and co do is not showing love.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/10 at 6:31 pm

IMO, this is the only reason.  They hide behind the mask of "religion".  I refuse to call them Christian because a true Christian wouldn't do that.  God wants us to love one another and what Phelps and co do is not showing love.

I couldn't agree more. They are spewing hate. Unfortunately, hate begets hate. However, in my religion-there is the 3-fold rule so they will get theirs THREE TIMES over.

I just hope Elizabeth's family (especially her kids) & friends can find peace.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 6:39 am

On the other hand heart disease is rampant in my family.

high blood pressure,diabetes and breast cancer run in my family but thankfully I don't have any of that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/10 at 10:05 am

This.

The Secret?  The Secret is that if you wish loud enough that an advertising executive hears about it, you can get on TV with Oprah, but you'll still die, because cancer cells don't care what you're wishing for.

Two patients, two cases, two approaches, and sometimes it's still the same outcome.  So what's the difference?  The difference is that Edwards gave herself a chance.  Tinkham denied herself that chance.

One thing certain about a positive attitude is it doesn't hurt.  Does it help?  Yes, in a mental and spiritual sense. 

Some people try to say lower stress is better for the immune system, but the immune system cannot cure cancer.

If we're going to be Christian about Phelps, it is our challenge to pardon his sins on Earth.  I can't help feeling like it's unjust for Edwards to die and Phelps to live to squawk about it, but who lives and who dies is way above my pay grade! 
::)

Written By: HeartsAfire on 12/13/10 at 4:43 pm

Dagnabbit and Catwoman, I couldn't agree more.  It is sickening what some who claim to be Christian say and do using their religion as a "veil" to do things that are hateful and harmful.  This was not Jesus' way at all. 

I do admire the way that Elizabeth Edwards battled cancer and dealt with the hard balls in her life with dignity and grace.  She set a wonderful example for her children.  Prayers going up for her family.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/10 at 3:16 pm

Dagnabbit and Catwoman, I couldn't agree more.  It is sickening what some who claim to be Christian say and do using their religion as a "veil" to do things that are hateful and harmful.  This was not Jesus' way at all. 

Phelps and his crew are a teenage street theater troupe.  They do shocking things to get our attention, and it works.  Religion is just a feint for tax evasion.

I do admire the way that Elizabeth Edwards battled cancer and dealt with the hard balls in her life with dignity and grace.  She set a wonderful example for her children.  Prayers going up for her family.

Ditto that!

Check for new replies or respond here...