inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Richard Holbrooke, veteran US diplomat, dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/10 at 1:08 am

Veteran US diplomat Richard Holbrooke has died following a second round of surgery to treat a torn aorta.

He fell ill on Friday while meeting US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

He was President Barack Obama's special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan. The presidents of both nations had called to wish him well, prior to his death.

Mr Obama called the 69-year-old, who was known for bringing warring leaders to the negotiating table, a "true giant of American foreign policy".

Mr Holbrooke was meeting Ms Clinton at the US state department on Friday morning when he collapsed.

He was rushed to the US capital's George Washington University Hospital, where he underwent surgery to repair a tear in his aorta - the largest artery in the human body, which carries oxygenated blood from the heart.

Mr Holbrooke's death comes as the Obama administration prepares to make public its latest review of US policy in Afghanistan and Pakistan later this week.

Subject: Re: Richard Holbrooke, veteran US diplomat, dies

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/10 at 3:10 pm

Another shock.  So sudden.  We needed him in Afghanistan. 
:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/14/10 at 5:42 pm

Another shock.  So sudden.  We needed him in Afghanistan. 
:\'(

A business associate of mine had dinner a couple months ago with a guy who was in line to be the next ambassador to Pakistan.

When advised of this prestigious status... He decided to move on to the 'private sector'.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/10 at 9:11 pm

A business associate of mine had dinner a couple months ago with a guy who was in line to be the next ambassador to Pakistan.

When advised of this prestigious status... He decided to move on to the 'private sector'.

Good.  I don't want people interested in "prestige" and "status" working on the public's dime.  I mean, if prestige and status is your thing, go for it, but stay out of government.  That's how we wound up with Nero...and Obama!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_sunny.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/15/10 at 5:55 am

Good.  I don't want people interested in "prestige" and "status" working on the public's dime.  I mean, if prestige and status is your thing, go for it, but stay out of government.  That's how we wound up with Nero...and Obama!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_sunny.gif

I think his decision was based more on a disdain for being the target of assassination attempts  :o  than any issues with prestige. 

As to Nero, you gotta admit, he played a mean fiddle.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/10 at 9:55 pm

I think his decision was based more on a disdain for being the target of assassination attempts  :o  than any issues with prestige. 

As to Nero, you gotta admit, he played a mean fiddle.   8)

You might as well say Charlie Daniels was emperor.  They did not have violins in ancient Rome.''

"You gotta admit he played a mean lyre," doesn't have the same ring to it, I must say!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nopity.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...