inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teena Marie has left us...

Written By: nally on 12/26/10 at 7:56 pm

I have just found out that R&B singer-songwriter Teena Marie, best known for her mid-80's hit "Lovergirl", has passed away at the age of 54. :\'( :\'( At first I came across some sources that said her death had not been confirmed, but now it seems official.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/26/lovergirl-singer-teena-marie-dead-report_n_801396.html

Sad news indeed. R.I.P. Teena :\'( :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Teena Marie has left us...

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/26/10 at 7:59 pm

OH NO!!!  I LOVE HER  :\'(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/26/10 at 9:00 pm

I damn near fainted when I read this on IMDB.com. I can't belive it. I didn't even know she had been sick. Poor woman.  :(

I miss her.  :\'(

Written By: Starde on 12/26/10 at 10:25 pm

Just heard the news a few mins. ago. RIP Lady T! :\'( Damn. :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/27/10 at 2:31 am

I just read this news... so very sad...  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/10 at 2:39 am

So sad to read news like this

Written By: Howard on 12/27/10 at 6:49 am

I always got a chance to listen to her music,RIP Lady T,I'll always listen to your music on my birthday,the month and day she was born (March 5th) :\'(

She also sang backup for a funk group Ozone,back in the early 80's.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/27/10 at 9:20 am

I'll miss her. I enjoyed her songs such as "Lovergirl" and "Portuguese Love".  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/10 at 10:51 am

What a shocker. So sad. She was so young.

Cat

Written By: Nicole Little on 12/27/10 at 11:58 am

I was crying like a baby all night long listening to her music while I was on the computer.  I can't believe that another great legend has left us.  She was a part of my childhood in the 80s, and I used to hear her songs on the radio constantly in the 80s.  May her rest in peace.  She paved the way for white women with black soul like Christina Aguilera, Pink, Robyn, JoJo, Joss Stone, Amy Winehouse, Lisa Stansfield, etc.  I miss you, Lady T.  :\'(

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/10 at 12:42 pm

Such sad news, I still can't believe it. She was great, RIP Lady T.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/27/10 at 1:26 pm

So many good songs she sung it's hard to recall them all but I always enjoyed her duet with Rick James "Fire And Desire".

Written By: Paul on 12/27/10 at 1:32 pm

I have just found out that R&B singer-songwriter Teena Marie, best known for her mid-80's hit "Lovergirl", has passed away at the age of 54.

Very sad indeed, as it appears she just slipped away in her sleep...

Not really known for 'Lovergirl' here in Britain...her biggest hit was 'Behind The Groove' several years previous...

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/10 at 2:13 pm

I only remembered her for 'Lovergirl'.  I know 'Square Biz' was somewhat popular in the early 80s, but that one slips my memory completely, but over the years I have become familiar with all her work, and she was indeed a great talent and will be missed.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/10 at 2:18 pm

Very sad indeed, as it appears she just slipped away in her sleep...

Not really known for 'Lovergirl' here in Britain...her biggest hit was 'Behind The Groove' several years previous...

Yes love that hit. :)

Written By: Howard on 12/27/10 at 2:20 pm

I only remembered her for 'Lovergirl'.  I know 'Square Biz' was somewhat popular in the early 80s, but that one slips my memory completely, but over the years I have become familiar with all her work, and she was indeed a great talent and will be missed.

Rick James sang backup.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/10 at 4:27 pm

I remember in the eighties, Ike Turner was asking after her for...for what?

The Ike and Teena Revue, of course.  It's true!

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/27/10 at 6:08 pm

"Lovergirl" was classic 1980's music.  8)  Song has been running through my head all day.  :)

Written By: tv on 12/27/10 at 6:41 pm

I remember her song "Still In Love" in 2004 that was a miinor hit on the Hot 100 I think and an R&B radio staple that year. I know about her 1987 hit "Oooh La La" too and I know about "Lover Girl" , "Fire And Desire" w/ Rick James which is an amazing ballad to this day!

Yes as pointed out earlier on this thread she was a pioneer for white women to sing black soul!

Written By: Howard on 12/28/10 at 6:50 am

"Lovergirl" was classic 1980's music.   8)  Song has been running through my head all day.   :)

1985,good classic song one of my favorites.  :)

Written By: Claybricks on 12/30/10 at 6:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhkJUpjcIwc

Teena Marie on Music, Addiction in '09 Interview

Note: Teena explains what started her seizures.

Dan

Written By: Howard on 12/31/10 at 6:55 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhkJUpjcIwc

Teena Marie on Music, Addiction in '09 Interview

Note: Teena explains what started her seizures.

Dan

Wow,that was a very good interview.  :)

Written By: Starde on 12/31/10 at 10:00 pm

Oh man, I love "Square Biz"! That's probably my favorite Lady T song!

Written By: Howard on 01/01/11 at 6:41 am

Oh man, I love "Square Biz"! That's probably my favorite Lady T song!

and also I love "I'm Just A Sucker For Your Love".

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/01/11 at 11:51 am

Even though it's a new year, I'm still mourning for her.  I'm 33 years old, and I spend ALL of my childhood years on Teena Marie in the 1980s.  My earliest memory of Teena Marie was when I was a preschooler in 1980-1981.  My mother and I moved

around a lot.  We lived at Broad and Wyoming Sts in Philadelphia, PA. We lived in a small apartment that was owned by Asians at the time, and I remember my mother blasting the radio real loud when Behind the Groove or I Need Your Lovin came on the radio,

and then, we had to find somewhere else to live because the Asians wanted to move their own people in the apartments,  so my mother and I moved to her boyfriend's cousin's house.  That house had 3 or 4 floors, and all I mostly heard in that house was Teena Marie.  It's

either Fire and Desire, Square Biz, Young Love, or Portuguese Love.  I remember playing with her boyfriend's cousin's children when her songs came on.  This was all in 1980-1981.  My mother and I had to moved again, and we moved at 12th and

Ridge Ave. in Philly.  We lived in an apartment next to the refrigerator store with a lot of refrigerators outside the store.  Our apartment was on fire, so we had to moved with my grandmother at West Poplar apartments.  At the time, they used to call them new homes because

they were recently built.  We stayed there until my mother was approved for an apartment at West Poplar.  She wanted to live close to my grandmother.  In 1982, that's when we moved to West Poplar apartments.  I didn't hear anything from Teena Marie until I was 6 years old

in 1983 when she came out with Dear Lover.  I was  7 years old in 1984 when she came out with Lovergirl  I was 9 years old in 1986 when she came out with Lips To Find You and Shangri-La.  I was 11 years old in 1988 when she came out with

Ooo La La La.  Teena Marie represented my childhood.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/11 at 6:59 pm

I think Fire And Desire with Rick James was so beautiful.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/11 at 7:18 pm

I think Fire And Desire with Rick James was so beautiful.  :)

An aweful lot of the old Rick James scene is now gone too...  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/01/11 at 7:23 pm

An aweful lot of the old Rick James scene is now gone too...   :-\\

But always listen to his music when you have a chance. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...