inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Band of Brothers' Maj Richard Winters dies aged 92

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/11 at 1:00 am

Maj Richard Winters, whose WWII heroism was captured in the TV mini-series Band of Brothers, has died at the age of 92.

Maj Winters' death was confirmed by a family friend, and followed a long battle with Parkinson's disease.

The 2001 HBO/BBC series charted the exploits of a company of US paratroopers from the Normandy invasion to the end of World War II.

Maj Winters, of Hershey, Pennsylvania, had asked that news of his death be withheld until after his funeral.

An HBO spokesman said Maj Winters died on 2 January.

Born in 1918, Maj Winters studied economics before enlisting in the US army.

He rose to become the commanding officer of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division on D-Day.

He was decorated for leading a 13-man attack on a fortified German gun placement, which had been shelling US soldiers landing on Utah Beach.

Maj Winters also led his men in the ill-fated British-led Operation Market Garden, to try and capture bridges over the Rhine river in the eastern Netherlands.

He was CO of Easy Company during the Battle of the Bulge, when a breakout by German forces saw the Allies besieged in the Belgian town of Bastogne.

Among those paying tribute were some of the men of Easy Company portrayed in Band of Brothers.

Bill Guarnere, 88, said Maj Winters was a great leader, who was "right in the front".

Eighty-seven-year-old Edward Heffron, known as Babe, said: "He was one hell of a guy, one of the greatest soldiers I was ever under."

Subject: Re: Band of Brothers' Maj Richard Winters dies aged 92

Written By: holicman on 01/11/11 at 4:29 pm

Im actually really sad to hear about this, I thought he would be one of the last to go. He didnt drink or smoke and kept himself extremely fit and healthy, and came out relatively unscathed in all aspects from the war compared to a majority of the men he served with.

I absolutely loved band of brothers when the mini series was released and it led me to a bit of an affair with the show, the soldiers themselves, the men that were still alive, who survived, who didnt, when certain soldiers passed on etc.

I used to be part of the Eugene Roe website (former Easy company medic) until that went offline, so since then I have been following these guys on http://www.menofeasycompany.com/home/index.php?page_id=20.
There are only a handful of these soldiers left, about 6 or so made famous from the mini series are still alive too.

Rip Major Dick Winters.

Check for new replies or respond here...