inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jack LaLanne is no longer juiced.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/23/11 at 9:17 pm

At age 96, Jack LaLanne is no more.

Younger readers may remember him for obnoxious infomercials for juice machines.  Older readers' parents will remember him as the guy who set numerous world records for doing crazy stuff in the Bay Area of Kalifornistan and starting the fitness craze.  

As recently as age 89, he was still doing things that most of us couldn't do.  If 96 years old I get to be, obnoxious infomercials for juicers I'll be happy to do as well.

RIP, Jack.  You've earned the rest - you probably did more workouts in your last 6 years than most people do in their entire lives.

Subject: Re: Jack LaLanne is no longer juiced.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/23/11 at 9:20 pm

How sad. Rest In Peace, Jack.  You will be missed. :(

Written By: nally on 01/23/11 at 11:57 pm

Sad news, indeed. He lived a good long life.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/11 at 5:26 am

:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/11 at 5:33 am

Wow.   :\'(

I remember Jack from his TV show in the 1960's.  One time I saw him do an Iron Cross - He must have been 50 at the time although this is no small feat at any age.  8)

When he was 70, he was handcuffed and shackled to a flotilla of 70 boats and towed them around Long Beach Harbor.  When he was 60 he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf, towing a 1,000 pound boat behind him.  :o

We would ALWAYS tune in to watch Jack LaLanne.  Thanks for the good memories, Jack.   :)

Written By: Howard on 01/24/11 at 6:51 am

Jack LaLanne lived a full life no doubt but how many people can live to 100,be trim and fit? Eventually,the heart and body develops wear and tear over the years and becomes worn out.I always loved to watch Jack back when he advertised The Power Juicer with his wife,He'd always drank fresh fruits and vegetables,squeeze them and there they go into the juicer and into the cup.

RIP Jack. http://www.boomertoyou.com/wp-options/upload/2010/05/kevamh2peeyadh944cqk7k1xd9m0ud-org.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/11 at 9:27 am

I remember watching his show as a kid and he would always have his dog Happy (I think a white German Shepard if I am not mistaken).

It just goes to show ya that no matter how fit & trim you are-we all die in the end.  :-\\

R.I.P. Jack.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/24/11 at 12:22 pm

Who remembers his Power Juicer commercials?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/11 at 5:02 pm

Who remembers his Power Juicer commercials?

I remember. I always thought that O. J. Simpson, "The Juice", coulda been a great spokesman for this product. Well, up until 1994.  :-\\

Written By: ninny on 01/24/11 at 9:30 pm

I remember watching him in my youth. R.I.P. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/25/11 at 6:37 am

I never thought a guy like him at 96 would be trim and fit,He looked amazing.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/11 at 6:28 pm

I know it's too damn soon, but this keeps reminding me of LaLane...

http://www.extremecostumes.com/hb972basic.jpg

RIP anyhow, Jack....

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/28/11 at 8:24 pm

I remember when Jack Lalane was an exercise expert.  Well, let's look at it this way.  At least he lived to almost 100 and still be fit and trim.  We are all going to die.  That's part of life.  In Jack Lalane's case, the reason why he lived such a full long life is because he ATE RIGHT and he EXERCISE.  He probably obey and honor his parents because the Bible says to honor thy mother and father, and your days will be long.  I don't want you to think that I'm coldhearted, but I don't cry when someone in their 80s and 90s die because they lived a full life, and their death is a sign that they finish the course in this planet. Now someone UNDER 70 that died, I will cry the most because I feel that they died before their time, and I don't think that it's their time to go yet.  There is such a thing as untimely death.  Jack Lalane, Lena Horne, and all the others that died in very advance age finished their course in the earth.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/11 at 8:25 am

I remember when Jack Lalane was an exercise expert.  Well, let's look at it this way.  At least he lived to almost 100 and still be fit and trim.  We are all going to die.  That's part of life.  In Jack Lalane's case, the reason why he lived such a full long life is because he ATE RIGHT and he EXERCISE.  He probably obey and honor his parents because the Bible says to honor thy mother and father, and your days will be long.  I don't want you to think that I'm coldhearted, but I don't cry when someone in their 80s and 90s die because they lived a full life, and their death is a sign that they finish the course in this planet. Now someone UNDER 70 that died, I will cry the most because I feel that they died before their time, and I don't think that it's their time to go yet.  There is such a thing as untimely death.  Jack Lalane, Lena Horne, and all the others that died in very advance age finished their course in the earth.

I do agree that it is not so hard to lose people who are well advanced in age as it is to lose younger people. However, it still is a bit sad to lose ANYONE who made such a contribution to this world.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 9:29 am

I do agree that it is not so hard to lose people who are well advanced in age as it is to lose younger people. However, it still is a bit sad to lose ANYONE who made such a contribution to this world.

Cat

Yep.  I just lost my Mum at age 90 a couple of weeks ago.  One of her lifelong friends passed one week later at the age of 93. 

Written By: Howard on 01/29/11 at 12:41 pm

Yep.  I just lost my Mum at age 90 a couple of weeks ago.  One of her lifelong friends passed one week later at the age of 93. 

I lost my brother 15 years ago. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 3:18 pm

I lost my brother 15 years ago. :(

Fortunately I still have all my bro's...

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/30/11 at 12:04 am

Cat

Oh, absolutely!  I agree that a human being is a human being no matter what age, and it's natural to lose someone that was a part of your past. It's normal.  I'm just saying that anybody that live to see 80 and beyond, I believe that they lived a long enough life to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 6:42 am

Fortunately I still have all my bro's...

Are you the oldest or youngest? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/30/11 at 6:52 am

Are you the oldest or youngest? ???

Youngest.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 7:11 am

Youngest.  :)

I was the youngest brother myself.

Written By: Revolutions on 02/04/11 at 3:46 pm

i actually agree. i understand it's hard to get go, but when a 98 year old dies, it's hardly a tragedy. there is more than just this life, it's time for their next ride!  8)

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/04/11 at 7:25 pm

i actually agree. i understand it's hard to get go, but when a 98 year old dies, it's hardly a tragedy. there is more than just this life, it's time for their next ride!  8)

Amen.

Check for new replies or respond here...