inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mike Starr, Alice in Chains bassist, 44

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/09/11 at 6:46 am

Now half the original band is already gone!

Former Alice In Chains bassist Mike Starr has died aged 44.

Starr was found dead in a house in Salt Lake City, Utah yesterday afternoon (March 8). He was found by police after someone had telephoned the force to notify them of the death.

The official cause of his death is unconfirmed so far.

According to TMZ.com, Starr’s father has spoken of his son’s death, calling it "a terrible shock and tragedy".

Starr had struggled with drug addiction throughout his life, even appearing on US reality show Celebrity Rehab last year to help combat his heroin addiction.

He left Alice In Chains in 1993 after contributing to their 1992 album 'Dirt', and took no part in their subsequent reunion. He was believed to be putting together a new band in Utah just before he died.

http://www.nme.com/news/alice-in-chains/55346

Subject: Re: Mike Starr, Alice in Chains bassist, 44

Written By: ninny on 03/09/11 at 8:38 am

How tragic :\'( R.I.P. Mike

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/09/11 at 5:14 pm

After having seen him on Celebrity Rehab, it was apparent that his life was on a trajectory leading to this.

Dude spent his entire adult life hopped up on drugs. I mean, you get kicked out of AIC for excessive drug use, that's like getting fired by Bernie Madoff for excessive greed. By 2010 his life consisted of three things:  (1) scoring dope, (2) droning on about Layne Staley, and (3) telling everybody who would listen that "I am (not was) the bassist for AIC".

The dope eliminated his life long before his physical death. Doctors before Drew 'treated' Starr's addiction by hooking him on methadone which only made matters worse. This is why Drew is a sworn opponent of so-called "replacement therapy" which reduces the patient to an institutional addict.

Dope... JUST SAY NO!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/09/11 at 7:50 pm

After having seen him on Celebrity Rehab, it was apparent that his life was on a trajectory leading to this.

Dude spent his entire adult life hopped up on drugs. I mean, you get kicked out of AIC for excessive drug use, that's like getting fired by Bernie Madoff for excessive greed. By 2010 his life consisted of three things:  (1) scoring dope, (2) droning on about Layne Staley, and (3) telling everybody who would listen that "I am (not was) the bassist for AIC".

The dope eliminated his life long before his physical death. Doctors before Drew 'treated' Starr's addiction by hooking him on methadone which only made matters worse. This is why Drew is a sworn opponent of so-called "replacement therapy" which reduces the patient to an institutional addict.

Dope... JUST SAY NO!

I've lost a few friends and loved ones to dope.  Believe me, they're always "getting clean" and "turning their lives around."  One of the best places they found new doping and drinking buddies was rehab programs.  I don't mean to sour addicts on the prospect of getting off heroin, cocaine, scrip drugs, or alcohol.  Lots of them do, but as LB says, the quickest road to recovery is not to start that sh*t in the first place. 

AIC -- what are you going to say about a band who named their debut album "We Die Young"? 

R.I.P. Mike Starr.  Maybe he's with Layne Staley in that big speedball in the sky!
:\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...