inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Snooker commentator 'Whispering' Ted Lowe dies at 90

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/11 at 4:27 pm

Former snooker commentator Ted Lowe has died at 90, the BBC has learned.

Lowe, born in Berkshire, became a household name through the hit television show Pot Black in 1969 and retired after the 1996 world final.

He died on the morning of the first session of the 2011 Snooker World Championship final in Sheffield.

Lowe's unmistakable hushed tones earned him the popular nickname "Whispering Ted" and he was the BBC's lead commentator on many occasions.

His wife of 21 years, Jean, said: "His health had been deteriorating for the last 10 weeks. He went into a hospice a week ago and I never left his side. But I could see he was slowly going. He still loves snooker and was watching it on TV."

Subject: Re: Snooker commentator 'Whispering' Ted Lowe dies at 90

Written By: holicman on 05/02/11 at 2:40 am

I used to love the tone of his voice, it was appropriate for the sport, he was an ambassador for the game and helped promote the game outside of his commentary, was probably one of the few snooker profilies linked to the great Joe davis too....there arent many left today, Jackie Rea is one, and  the likes of Ray Reardon and Rex Williams would be the other 2 I can think of......RIP Ted Lowe.

Check for new replies or respond here...