inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John Walker of The Walker Brothers dies aged 67

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/11 at 1:06 am

John Walker, one of the founders of 1960s group The Walker Brothers, has died at the age of 67.

His spokeswoman said Mr Walker died on Saturday at his Los Angeles home after a six-month battle with liver cancer.

The band was formed when three unrelated US musicians - Scott Engel, John Maus and Gary Leeds - adopted the Walker Brothers name in 1964.

Their biggest hits included the songs Make It Easy On Yourself and The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Any More).

The group's fame flourished after travelling to the UK in the 1960s and they continued to score huge commercial success in the 1970s.

The official John Walker website said it was with "deepest sadness" that it had to report John Walker passed away in his LA home on 7 May 2011.

"He was a beloved husband, brother, father, grandfather, friend, and artiste," it said.

Playing tribute to his former band member in a statement on his website, Gary Walker said it was a "very sad day for John's family, myself and all of our many fans".

"John was the founder member of the group and lead singer in the early days. He was also a fantastic guitarist which a lot of people didn't realise.

"He was a compassionate song-writer and a gentleman with lots of style.

"The three of us had the most incredible adventure together, all the time not realising that we were part of pop history in the making. His music will live on, and therefore so will John."

The statement concluded with "T-birds and Bentleys".

Subject: Re: John Walker of The Walker Brothers dies aged 67

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/11 at 9:19 pm

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine anymore for him :'(

That song was their best known hit, and to me, still their best, but their version to me was not the best cover of that song.

R.I.P. to a great musician and singer

Subject: Re: John Walker of The Walker Brothers dies aged 67

Written By: holicman on 05/15/11 at 3:29 am

Here is a Live TV Version of their most popular song - The sun aint gonna shine anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q6YWDm0GSU

RIP  John

Check for new replies or respond here...