inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: McCain Foods co-founder Wallace dies in Canada age 81

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/11 at 1:49 pm

Wallace McCain, a billionaire Canadian frozen food mogul and philanthropist, has died aged 81.

The co-founder of the McCain Foods empire died in Toronto on Friday, after losing a 14-month battle with cancer.

He helped turn a small French fry plant into a global business, renowned for its oven chips and frozen pizzas.

Forbes Magazine ranked Mr McCain 512th on its annual list of the world's billionaires, estimating his personal net worth at $2.3bn (£1.4bn).

His death was announced by the board of directors of Maple Leaf Foods, a company he also controlled.

Former Prime Minister Paul Martin praised Mr McCain as a great Canadian.

"What he built in business is now part of our history," Mr Martin said in a statement.

"But what should be known as well was his infectious sense of humor, his compassion and his generosity to so many causes dedicated to making the lives of Canadians better."

Mr McCain and his brother Harrison founded McCain Foods Ltd in New Brunswick in 1956.

The company now operates in 44 countries and produces more frozen chips than any other in the world.

In 1995, he became an Officer of the Order of Canada - one of the country's highest honours.

He was also known for his philanthropic activities, fundraising for Canada's National Ballet School, and establishing an entrepreneur training institute in his name at the University of New Brunswick.

"I liked making money," Mr McCain once said, "but I love giving it away even more."

He is survived by his wife Margaret, his four children and nine grandchildren.

Subject: Re: McCain Foods co-founder Wallace dies in Canada age 81

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/11 at 7:01 pm

Are McCain products sold in the UK ?

I get their Frozen Pizzas and Frozen bag of Superfries all the time.

R.I.P. Wallace McCain.  May your products live on for decades to come :)

Written By: Howard on 05/14/11 at 7:11 pm

I love McCain foods,May we continue to eat his products for years to come. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/11 at 8:15 pm

http://sna.multiview.com/userlogo/sna/47063v2v1.jpg

R.I.P.

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/11 at 9:32 pm

I just had some McCain Pizza Pockets for lunch last week.  If you ever are hungry for a Pillsbury Pizza Pop, get some Pizza Pockets instead.  Much better tasting ...

http://coolcanucks.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/mccain.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...