inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cult Actress Yvette Vickers Found Mummified in Home

Written By: Claybricks on 05/15/11 at 12:33 pm

Cult Actress Yvette Vickers Found Mummified in Home

Us Magazine - May 3, 2011 3:46 PM PDT

http://l.yimg.com/k/im_siggWLEX1RnS5rAfnOqzMKHoJA---y300-x275-q75-n1/omg/us/img/1534_us_article_40833.jpg

Actress Yvette Vickers' mummified body was found April 27 at her Benedict Canyon, Calif. home. The LA Times reports that the former Playboy playmate, 82, had died and her body went undiscovered for months.

PHOTOS: Stars we've lost

Vickers, who starred in cult films like Attack of the 50-Foot Woman (1958) and Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959), had not been seen for some time. A neighbor, Susan Savage, discovered her body in an upstairs room of her home; the mummified state of her corpse suggested she could have been dead for close to a year, police said.

PHOTOS: Sexy screen sirens, then and now

The official cause of death has yet to be determined, although police saw no signs of foul play.

PHOTOS: Look back on the life of fellow film icon Elizabeth Taylor

Savage remembered her neighbor, saying: "She kept to herself, had friends and seemed like a very independent spirit. To the end she still got cards and letters from all over the world requesting photos and still wanting to be her friend."

Savage said Vickers' neighbors felt terrible. "We've all been crying about this. Nobody should be left alone like that."

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/cult-actress-yvette-vickers-found-mummified-in-home/62015

Dan

Subject: Re: Cult Actress Yvette Vickers Found Mummified in Home

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/11 at 12:39 pm

It is always sad to hear of someone death, but this kind of news makes it sadder.

Written By: Claybricks on 05/15/11 at 12:43 pm

Playmate Yvette Vickers died from heart disease

May 13, 2011

http://www.europaplus.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Yvette-Vickers2.jpg

LOS ANGELES – The badly decomposed body found in a dilapidated hillside home overlooking Beverly Hills was former B-movie actress and 1959 Playboy Playmate Yvette Vickers and an autopsy showed she died from heart disease, authorities said Friday.

Vickers, 82, was found April 27 by a neighbor in her house. While foul play wasn’t suspected, her death captured headlines after authorities estimated her remains could have been there from a few months to a year.

County coroner’s Assistant Chief Ed Winter, however, couldn’t say Friday when Vickers had actually passed away.

Born Yvette Vedder in 1928, Vickers’ first film role was in “Sunset Boulevard” in 1950. After the James Cagney-directed “Short Cut to Hell” flopped, she turned to B-movies, appearing in “Attack of the 50 Foot Woman” and “Attack of the Giant Leeches.”

She appeared in Playboy as Miss July 1959.

Neighbors said Vickers kept to herself and there hadn’t been many signs that something was amiss at her one-bedroom house. Once letters started piling up in her mailbox, the neighbor went to check on Vickers and found her body. Inside, a space heater was on as was a computer.

Winter said Vickers, who wasn’t believed to have any children, has a brother who was notified about her death.

http://www.europaplus.tv/2011/05/playmate-yvette-vickers-died-from-heart-disease/

Dan

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/11 at 12:47 pm

From wiki:

"Vickers' neighbor became concerned after noticing a large pile of yellowing mail in her mailbox as well as spider webs across her front door. Her body was found inside her Benedict Canyon home on April 27, 2011. The exact date of her death is unknown. Authorities indicated, however, that the mummified state of her body suggested Vickers could have been dead for nearly a year. The Los Angeles county coroner's department confirmed that Vickers' had died of natural causes, namely heart failure."

Written By: Claybricks on 05/15/11 at 12:59 pm

Playmate Yvette Vickers died from heart disease

May 13, 2011

http://www.europaplus.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Yvette-Vickers2.jpg

LOS ANGELES – The badly decomposed body found in a dilapidated hillside home overlooking Beverly Hills was former B-movie actress and 1959 Playboy Playmate Yvette Vickers and an autopsy showed she died from heart disease, authorities said Friday.

Vickers, 82, was found April 27 by a neighbor in her house. While foul play wasn’t suspected, her death captured headlines after authorities estimated her remains could have been there from a few months to a year.

County coroner’s Assistant Chief Ed Winter, however, couldn’t say Friday when Vickers had actually passed away.

Born Yvette Vedder in 1928, Vickers’ first film role was in “Sunset Boulevard” in 1950. After the James Cagney-directed “Short Cut to Hell” flopped, she turned to B-movies, appearing in “Attack of the 50 Foot Woman” and “Attack of the Giant Leeches.”

She appeared in Playboy as Miss July 1959.

Neighbors said Vickers kept to herself and there hadn’t been many signs that something was amiss at her one-bedroom house. Once letters started piling up in her mailbox, the neighbor went to check on Vickers and found her body. Inside, a space heater was on as was a computer.

Winter said Vickers, who wasn’t believed to have any children, has a brother who was notified about her death.

http://www.europaplus.tv/2011/05/playmate-yvette-vickers-died-from-heart-disease/

Dan

"Neighbors said Vickers kept to herself and there hadn’t been many signs that something was amiss at her one-bedroom house. Once letters started piling up in her mailbox, the neighbor went to check on Vickers and found her body. Inside, a space heater was on as was a computer."

I wonder how her space heater and computer, among other things, could be on for months if the utility bills went upaid? I would imagine that the history on the computer will be able to narrow the time of death

Dan

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/15/11 at 1:05 pm

"Neighbors said Vickers kept to herself and there hadn’t been many signs that something was amiss at her one-bedroom house. Once letters started piling up in her mailbox, the neighbor went to check on Vickers and found her body. Inside, a space heater was on as was a computer."

I wonder how her space heater and computer, among other things, could be on for months if the utility bills went upaid? I would imagine that the history on the computer will be able to narrow the time of death

Dan

Perhaps she had some money and someone to pay her bills?  This story has deeply saddened me.  Hollywood really does know how to chew them up and spit them out.

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 1:09 pm

Dan

Maybe she used solar energy....  probably the space heater being on may have affected the decomp/mumification rate of the body so it may have only been two or three months... I think you can go 90 days before your utilities are shut off.

or she could have a business manager who pays her bills

or she could have automatic payment set up for some of her bills.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/11 at 1:18 pm

That's weird,how could she have been laying there and no one noticed her dead?  ??? ::)

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 1:19 pm

That's weird,how could she have been laying there and no one noticed her dead?  ??? ::)

she lived alone and had little contact with the outside world. She had no kids, obviously her brother didn't visit, her neighbors rarely saw her...

It could totally happen to me  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/15/11 at 1:20 pm

Dan

Police could check the computer's history.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/11 at 1:22 pm

she lived alone and had little contact with the outside world. She had no kids, obviously her brother didn't visit, her neighbors rarely saw her...

It could totally happen to me  :-\\

Was she poor maybe living on Social Security or did she have any money from her days as Playboy Playmate?

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 1:35 pm

Was she poor maybe living on Social Security or did she have any money from her days as Playboy Playmate?

Benedict Canyon is in Beverly Hills...even tho it was a one bedroom home it probably cost her a cool million - unless of course she bought the home back in the 60s then she only paid a 100 grand for it but it's probably worth about  now $725,000

Written By: Claybricks on 05/15/11 at 2:12 pm

Benedict Canyon is in Beverly Hills...even tho it was a one bedroom home it probably cost her a cool million - unless of course she bought the home back in the 60s then she only paid a 100 grand for it but it's probably worth about  now $725,000

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Yvette_Vickers_home.jpg

Yvette Vickers
10021 Westwanda Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210-1428

10021 Westwanda Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90210
676 Sq. Ft. House (The average-sized home in the area is 2,536 square feet.)

local home price average - $1,292,000
Local Home Prices

Nearby 2 bedroom houses recently sold for around $875,000.
Nearby 3 bedroom houses recently sold for around $952,500.
The average-sized home in the area is 2,536 square feet.
Homes here were originally built around 1963.
About 1% of homes in this area were sold over the last two years.

http://lalife.com/address/10021_Westwanda_Dr_Los_Angeles_CA_90210

Dan

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/15/11 at 2:12 pm

Benedict Canyon is in Beverly Hills...even tho it was a one bedroom home it probably cost her a cool million - unless of course she bought the home back in the 60s then she only paid a 100 grand for it but it's probably worth about  now $725,000

that's kind of what I was thinking, and if it's paid for you can refinance?  I'm going to investigate further.

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 2:17 pm

that's kind of what I was thinking, and if it's paid for you can refinance?  I'm going to investigate further.

here's a link to homes for sale in the Benedict canyon area... they range from $699 - over $1 million

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Beverly_Hills,CA/1p_beds/SINGLE-FAMILY_HOME_type/price;a_sort/benedict_canyon_keyword/

Written By: Claybricks on 05/15/11 at 2:59 pm

here's a link to homes for sale in the Benedict canyon area... they range from $699 - over $1 million

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Beverly_Hills,CA/1p_beds/SINGLE-FAMILY_HOME_type/price;a_sort/benedict_canyon_keyword/

I added a picture of her home with some information on my previous post.

Yvette's home was roughly 27% of the size of the average home in that area.

Dan

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 3:13 pm

I added a picture of her home with some information on my previous post.

Yvette's home was roughly 27% of the size of the average home in that area.

Dan

yeah but in beverly hills you don't pay for the size of the house you pay for the zip code and the property that house sits on...

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 3:16 pm

Yvette Vickers
10021 Westwanda Drive

10021 Westwanda Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90210

Local Home Prices

Dan

The home across the street is for sale... it's twice the size and is listed at 1.24 million so Vickers house could easily sell for  700 -800 grand

http://www.trulia.com/property/3004219073-10022-Westwanda-Dr-Beverly-Hills-CA-90210  

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/15/11 at 4:54 pm

Apparently and of course no surprise - some accounts state that she was in somewhat of a hoarder situation and a bit of a boozer.

Written By: snozberries on 05/15/11 at 4:59 pm

Apparently and of course no surprise - some accounts state that she was in somewhat of a hoarder situation and a bit of a boozer.

doesn't surprise me.  Cat once showed me a house for sale. It was cheap! But it was sold as is...and a hoarder had inhabited the property. I suggested buying it and putting in a call to the Hoarders TV show that way you'd own a house for next to nothing and get someone to come clean it out for you while you faked being attached to all the crap and too stressed to lift a hand yourself and help out!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/16/11 at 6:47 am

Yvette Vickers
10021 Westwanda Drive

10021 Westwanda Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90210

Local Home Prices

Dan

Wow that is some big home.  :o

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/11 at 8:25 am

Wow that is some big home.  :o

Actually Howard it's pretty small. It's apparently only one bedroom and according to the post 676 sq ft.  It is bigger than my 400 sq ft apt tho.  And about 80miles closer to the Paley center. I wonder if it'll be less valuable or more valuable since a "famous" person died in it.

usually I'm opposed to buying houses people died in but I want a house clOse to Paley so I can crash there after events! If I had the money id consider it.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/11 at 12:26 pm

Actually Howard it's pretty small. It's apparently only one bedroom and according to the post 676 sq ft.  It is bigger than my 400 sq ft apt tho.  And about 80miles closer to the Paley center. I wonder if it'll be less valuable or more valuable since a "famous" person died in it.

usually I'm opposed to buying houses people died in but I want a house clOse to Paley so I can crash there after events! If I had the money id consider it.

But then you have some of those bushes covering most of the house.

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/11 at 2:43 pm

But then you have some of those bushes covering most of the house.

that's called landscaping... it's very popular in California  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/11 at 6:14 pm

Actually Howard it's pretty small. It's apparently only one bedroom and according to the post 676 sq ft.  It is bigger than my 400 sq ft apt tho.  And about 80miles closer to the Paley center. I wonder if it'll be less valuable or more valuable since a "famous" person died in it.

I think this is it. http://www.realtor.com/property-detail/10021-Westwanda-Dr_Beverly-Hills_CA_90210_f8abe001?source=web

If I am reading those figures correctly, it might be worth investing in it assuming it is still for sale. I think that is cheaper than the hoarders house I showed you.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/11 at 7:06 pm

I think this is it. http://www.realtor.com/property-detail/10021-Westwanda-Dr_Beverly-Hills_CA_90210_f8abe001?source=web

If I am reading those figures correctly, it might be worth investing in it assuming it is still for sale. I think that is cheaper than the hoarders house I showed you.

Cat

that's the house but no way it's only valued at 55K... you know how well I know beverly hills and all my spare time is spent dreaming, looking for houses in the area  believe me if the house really was 55 K I'd be all over it... they are either using the value from 1980 to determine the 2010 value or they are using those foreclosure lures that they use online to make you believe the house is really that cheap. Trust me those numbers are way off the mark... .WAY, WAY OFF! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/11 at 7:16 pm

that's the house but no way it's only valued at 55K... you know how well I know beverly hills and all my spare time is spent dreaming, looking for houses in the area  believe me if the house really was 55 K I'd be all over it... they are either using the value from 1980 to determine the 2010 value or they are using those foreclosure lures that they use online to make you believe the house is really that cheap. Trust me those numbers are way off the mark... .WAY, WAY OFF! 

I was trying to figure that out, too because that just didn't sound right. I found another sight which lists the properties next door and they sound more normal prices for the area. 10022 WESTWANDA Drive the asking price is $1,249,000 & 10020 WESTWANDA Drive the asking price is $699,900. 10074 WESTWANDA DR. is a little cheaper: $350,000.

The only thing I can figure is the 55K maybe the taxes or something like that.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/16/11 at 7:32 pm

Cat

Most likely, Cat.  Where I live the "appraised value" has absolutely no relationship to the market value of a property.  This is known as a "base year system".

For example, my house's market value is something like 4x the tax-appraisal value.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/11 at 7:36 pm

She sounds like a tragic figure.  

I hope she died peacefully.

I doubt she was dead for more than a few months.  It doesn't take long to look mummified in the Southern California climate.  

:\'(

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/11 at 8:23 pm

I was trying to figure that out, too because that just didn't sound right. I found another sight which lists the properties next door and they sound more normal prices for the area. 10022 WESTWANDA Drive the asking price is $1,249,000 & 10020 WESTWANDA Drive the asking price is $699,900. 10074 WESTWANDA DR. is a little cheaper: $350,000.

Cat

yeah I posted a link for the one across the street... I think the one that 699.900 is fairly on the mark considering the economy... maybe they meant to post 556,130  or 550,613 instead of 55,613  ;D    I can tell you that the 350K one is a foreclosure and probably you couldn't come close to paying that. I think it's one of those come ons....like come on to our website and see how much we can screw you by luring you in with bogus prices for really fancy homes!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/17/11 at 6:44 am

that's called landscaping... it's very popular in California  ;D

That's kinda of an annoyance.

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 2:08 pm

That's kinda of an annoyance.

Why?  It's actually nice when you see it in person. That house needs a little clean up but it's not really that bad.

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/17/11 at 3:04 pm

Why?  It's actually nice when you see it in person. That house needs a little clean up but it's not really that bad.

They have special stuff to get corpse smells out of homes.  I would take on a hoarder's home, A friend of mine's mom was a hoarder, when the time came to put her in a nice long term care facility I helped clean,  cleaning is more rewarding when you can REALLY tell it's been cleaned.  We found some treasures as well.  We don't have rats here either so it really wasn't all that bad. 

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 3:13 pm

They have special stuff to get corpse smells out of homes.  I would take on a hoarder's home, A friend of mine's mom was a hoarder, when the time came to put her in a nice long term care facility I helped clean,  cleaning is more rewarding when you can REALLY tell it's been cleaned.  We found some treasures as well.  We don't have rats here either so it really wasn't all that bad. 

Lol I actually meant the dead leaves on the outside of the house- the landscaping needs some cleaning up but it's relatively well kept 

I can imagine it's easier cleaning a hoarders house when they aren't there screaming at you.  ;D

It'd be easy for me to just throw all the crap away. Not as easy for me tho when  ;)we're talking aboutmy own crap

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/17/11 at 5:43 pm

Lol I actually meant the dead leaves on the outside of the house- the landscaping needs some cleaning up but it's relatively well kept   

I can imagine it's easier cleaning a hoarders house when they aren't there screaming at you.   ;D

It'd be easy for me to just throw all the crap away. Not as easy for me tho when   ;)we're talking aboutmy own crap

I know I watch the tv show hoarders and I could not sit and argue with someone about why they should keep their mountains of crap when their kids are sleeping all in the same beds and everything, I would just go completely smack happy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/11 at 6:51 pm

I know I watch the tv show hoarders and I could not sit and argue with someone about why they should keep their mountains of crap when their kids are sleeping all in the same beds and everything, I would just go completely smack happy.

If I lived in a house with somebody like that, I'd send them away on a vacation and have the whole damned house emptied out.  It would not cure the hoarder but at least I would not have all that cr@p in the house.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/11 at 7:14 pm

Our house use to have bushes 30 years ago but we chopped it down.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/11 at 7:16 pm

That would be a whole load of Febreze to get the smell of a corpse out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/11 at 7:18 pm

That would be a whole load of Febreze to get the smell of a corpse out.

Tell me about it.  I had my car in the shop to be repainted a few years ago and a mouse died in the trunk.  It was a hot summer.

Took 2 years for the stink to completely go away, and that was after I hosed the living cr@p out of that trunk.  Yuk.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 05/17/11 at 7:20 pm

Tell me about it.  I had my car in the shop to be repainted a few years ago and a mouse died in the trunk.  It was a hot summer.

Took 2 years for the stink to completely go away, and that was after I hosed the living cr@p out of that trunk.  Yuk.   8-P

What did you use for it?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 7:25 pm

Apparently water from a hose  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/11 at 7:35 pm

A high pressure hose at one of those car wash things.  Soap, rinse, the whole bit.

That was AFTER two bottles of Febreze did nothing.  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/17/11 at 7:38 pm

A high pressure hose at one of those car wash things.  Soap, rinse, the whole bit.

That was AFTER two bottles of Febreze did nothing.  :o

Febreze only provides you with a fresh scent.

Written By: Claybricks on 05/17/11 at 7:42 pm

An Ozone generator will kill all odors but damages rubber, like seals around refrigerators, elastic in socks etc.

Chart...

http://www.ozonesolutions.com/Choosing_Ozone_Generator_Rental_Guarantee.html

Dan

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/11 at 7:49 pm

Febreze only provides you with a fresh scent.

Well even Febreze could not cure that "not so fresh" feeling my trunk had after the dead mouse incident.  :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/11 at 8:27 pm

Took 2 years for the stink to completely go away, and that was after I hosed the living cr@p out of that trunk.  Yuk.   8-P

what did you do to that mouse, slip him a mickey?  nyuck nyuck nyuck!
:D

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 8:33 pm

Well even Febreze could not cure that "not so fresh" feeling my trunk had after the dead mouse incident.   :-X

Frebreeze and dead mouse do not mix. I had a skunk spray in my old apt. I put out one of those odor absorber canisters it did a fairly decent job.

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 8:33 pm

That was so bad it was funny.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/11 at 8:34 pm

yeah I posted a link for the one across the street... I think the one that 699.900 is fairly on the mark considering the economy... maybe they meant to post 556,130  or 550,613 instead of 55,613  ;D     I can tell you that the 350K one is a foreclosure and probably you couldn't come close to paying that. I think it's one of those come ons....like come on to our website and see how much we can screw you by luring you in with bogus prices for really fancy homes!  ;)

The house might also be a total wreck if she was a loner holed up in there for 20 years.  

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 8:35 pm

The house might also be a total wreck if she was a loner holed up in there for 20 years.  

Location location location. 3 miles from paley will help me overlook a lot I wouldn't forgive anywhere else!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/11 at 8:36 pm

Frebreeze and dead mouse do not mix. I had a skunk spray in my old apt. I put out one of those odor absorber canisters it did a fairly decent job.

Well, that's the last time we have the Skunks over for dinner!
:P

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 8:38 pm

Ha ha. Not exactly. I had the back door open. Carly heard something at the door and went to investigate. It was almost in the house. She startled it and it sprayed her. Direct hit to the face and right into my house down the hall into my closet. It was gnarly.

Written By: Claybricks on 05/17/11 at 8:39 pm

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/jeff-skunk-baxteraug31.jpg

Dan

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/11 at 8:40 pm

Location location location. 3 miles from paley will help me overlook a lot I wouldn't forgive anywhere else!!!

You might.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yil2jWQ5Oqg
;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/11 at 8:41 pm

You might.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yil2jWQ5Oqg
;D

Lol still worth it to me. You have to understand my obsession with paley. Plus I'd just send videos to holmes on homes until he agreed to come fix it  :D

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 6:40 am

Well even Febreze could not cure that "not so fresh" feeling my trunk had after the dead mouse incident.   :-X

How did it get in there anyway? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 6:41 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 6:42 am

Ha ha. Not exactly. I had the back door open. Carly heard something at the door and went to investigate. It was almost in the house. She startled it and it sprayed her. Direct hit to the face and right into my house down the hall into my closet. It was gnarly.

I bet she had to take a long tomato juice bath?  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/11 at 7:00 pm

Now the place reeks of skunk, tomato juice, AND wet dog!
8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/18/11 at 7:05 pm

How did it get in there anyway? ???

Not sure.  I *think* that when the dude was prepping the car for painting he had the trunk open and the mouse got in there somehow.  It climbed down into the spare tire wheel hole and then could not get out.  Man that was NASTY smelling.  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/11 at 7:07 pm

Naw I used some other concoction I found online. It took two or three baths but she came out smelling fine. The apt was fine in two days. My clothes took much longer.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 7:29 pm

Now the place reeks of skunk, tomato juice, AND wet dog!
8-P

time to change clothes or bring them to a cleaner.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 7:30 pm

Not sure.  I *think* that when the dude was prepping the car for painting he had the trunk open and the mouse got in there somehow.  It climbed down into the spare tire wheel hole and then could not get out.  Man that was NASTY smelling.  8-P

I bet it was a nauseating smell. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...