inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Coasters singer Carl Gardner dies aged 83

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/11 at 2:25 pm

The Coasters lead singer Carl Gardner has died aged 83, it has been announced on the band's website.

The star passed away at a hospice in Florida. He had been suffering from congestive heart failure and dementia, his wife Vet said.

"He loved his singing. That was his whole life," she told news agency The Associated Press.

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, The Coasters had hits including Yakety Yak in 1958.

The song went to number one in the US chart Billboard Hot 100 and was used as the theme tune for Clive James' television talk show in the UK during the 1990s.

The R&B group also had hits with Searchin', Poison Ivy and Young Blood.

"He was such a humble person. If you met Carl, you would never know he was famous," his wife added.

Gardner, who founded the band in 1955, retired in 2005 and was succeeded as lead singer by his son Carl Gardner Jr.

The star was also fought for legislation, which was passed in 2007, which prevented bogus groups from using the names of famous acts including The Coasters.

Subject: Re: Coasters singer Carl Gardner dies aged 83

Written By: Paul on 06/14/11 at 2:39 pm

Very sad that another of the greats has gone...even though the name may not immediately ring a bell...

What's more important is the quite wonderful songs that have been left to us...

Written By: nally on 06/14/11 at 5:05 pm

R.I.P. Carl, you have us some great tunes.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/14/11 at 6:17 pm

I like the Coasters - sad to hear!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Carl Gardner

Written By: Howard on 06/14/11 at 7:38 pm

Yakety Yak was my favorites from The Coasters.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/11 at 8:09 pm

Gardner was the last surviving core member of The Coasters.  Buckets of fun.  I never get sick of hearing their songs!
:\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0OhRm6AnMI&feature=related

Written By: Howard on 06/15/11 at 6:32 am

Gardner was the last surviving core member of The Coasters.  Buckets of fun.  I never get sick of hearing their songs!
:\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0OhRm6AnMI&feature=related

always great to hear Charlie Brown.

Check for new replies or respond here...