inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sherwood Schwartz has pased away

Written By: Stig on 07/12/11 at 1:15 pm

LOS ANGELES — Sherwood Schwartz, writer-creator of two of the best-remembered TV series of the 1960s and 1970s, "Gilligan’s Island" and "The Brady Bunch," has died at age 94.

Great niece Robin Randall said Schwartz died at 4 a.m. Tuesday.

Schwartz was hospitalized at Cedars Sinai Medical Center about a week ago with an intestinal infection and underwent several surgeries. His wife, Mildred, and children have been at his side, said his nephew, Douglas Schwartz.

Sherwood Schwartz and his brother, Al, started as a writing team in TV’s famed 1950s "golden age," said Douglas Schwartz, the late Al Schwartz’s son.

"They helped shape television in its early days," Douglas Schwartz said. "Sherwood is an American classic, creating ’Brady Bunch’ and ’Gilligan’s Island,’ iconic shows that are still popular today. He continued to produce all the way up into his 90s."

Subject: Re: Sherwood Schwartz has pased away

Written By: ninny on 07/12/11 at 1:51 pm

R.I.P Sherwood. Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch were 2 of my favorites growing up.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/12/11 at 6:48 pm

R.I.P Sherwood. Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch were 2 of my favorites growing up.

My sentiment exactly.  He will be missed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Sherwood Schwartz

Written By: Dagwood on 07/12/11 at 6:50 pm

So sad.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Schwartz.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/12/11 at 6:59 pm

R.I.P., Mr. Schwartz.  :\'(

Gilligan's Island rocked.  8)

Written By: Howard on 07/12/11 at 7:37 pm

I loved Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island,RIP Mr.Schwartz. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 7:15 pm

Indeed, The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island were anchors of afterschool viewing all through my childhood. 

R.I.P. Sherwood Schwartz.
:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/11 at 8:20 pm

Indeed, The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island were anchors of afterschool viewing all through my childhood. 

R.I.P. Sherwood Schwartz.
:\'(

My high school biology teacher used to remark "Now go home and watch your F-Troop and Gilligan's Island reruns."  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/11 at 8:25 pm

RIP those are classic shows.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 8:35 pm

My high school biology teacher used to remark "Now go home and watch your F-Troop and Gilligan's Island reruns."   ;D

Gilligan was premiered in premiered in the fall of 1964 and was cancelled in the winter of 1967.  The Bradys premiered in the fall of 1969 and was cancelled in the spring of 1974.  I forget they didn't run concurrently because both programs were in reruns by the time I remember television.  I could still watch Gilligan even though:
a. It's frightfully inane

and

b. I've seen them all a million times.

However, I can't stand the Brady Bunch for more than about a minute.  It's too schmaltzy.  I mean no disrespect to the late Mr. Schwartz.  It's just a personal aversion.  I don't know what it is exactly...I can even watch The Courtship of Eddie's Father for chrissakes, but not the Bradys!
8-P

F-Troop was one of the most un-PC TV series ever!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/11 at 8:44 pm

Gilligan was premiered in premiered in the fall of 1964 and was cancelled in the winter of 1967.  The Bradys premiered in the fall of 1969 and was cancelled in the spring of 1974.  I forget they didn't run concurrently because both programs were in reruns by the time I remember television.  I could still watch Gilligan even though:
a. It's frightfully inane

and

b. I've seen them all a million times.

However, I can't stand the Brady Bunch for more than about a minute.  It's too schmaltzy.  I mean no disrespect to the late Mr. Schwartz.  It's just a personal aversion.  I don't know what it is exactly...I can even watch The Courtship of Eddie's Father for chrissakes, but not the Bradys!
8-P

F-Troop was one of the most un-PC TV series ever!

Come on now, Max.  You KNOW you would have partied with Marcia, given the opportunity...  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 8:46 pm

Come on now, Max.  You KNOW you would have partied with Marcia, given the opportunity...  :P

Aw, heck, I'd party with Alice too!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/11 at 8:56 pm

Aw, heck, I'd party with Alice too!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif

Well up until a couple years ago she lived in a convent across the river from my place, so I am guessing that her partying days are in the past.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 9:03 pm

Well up until a couple years ago she lived in a convent across the river from my place, so I am guessing that her partying days are in the past.   ;)

And you hid in the bushes with binoculars!
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/11 at 9:10 pm

8)

It took a telescope to see across the Ohio River.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/449947/449947,1288472873,1/stock-photo-caucasian-businessman-spying-using-telescope-thru-office-window-64796680.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/15/11 at 6:43 am

I would party with her now if she wasn't married with kids.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/11 at 6:45 am

8)

those were the good ol days.

Check for new replies or respond here...