inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US songwriter Jerry Ragovoy dies aged 80

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/11 at 12:27 pm

US songwriter Jerry Ragovoy, who wrote songs for the Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin and Elvis Presley, has died aged 80.

The Grammy award-winning musician passed away last week at the Lenox Hill Hospital in New York following complications from a stroke.

Some of his famous songs included the Stones' 1964 hit Time Is On My Side and Erma Franklin's Piece of My Heart.

He also wrote songs under the pseudonym of Norman Meade.

Born in Philadelphia as Jordan Ragovoy, the musician entered record production in 1953, working with The Castelles.

Piece of My Heart, first recorded by Franklin in 1967 was famously recorded by Janis Joplin a year later.

B.B King, Louis Jordan, Dusty Springfield and Aretha Franklin also recorded tracks written by Ragovoy.

He also worked as a producer for artists including Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick.

In 1973, Ragovoy walked away with his first Grammy for best score from an original cast show album, for his production work on Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope.

Speaking to the Los Angeles Times newspaper, Jim Steinblatt, a spokesman for the performance rights group ASCAP, said: "Jerry was a giant of soul, R&B and rock songwriting and record production.

"His songs were far better known than he was."

Subject: Re: US songwriter Jerry Ragovoy dies aged 80

Written By: Paul on 07/19/11 at 1:17 pm

His finest three minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuS0IaodixU

Check for new replies or respond here...