inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mattel co-founder, Hot Wheels creator dies at 95 (wife created Barbie Doll)

Written By: Claybricks on 07/22/11 at 7:00 pm

Mattel co-founder, Hot Wheels creator dies at 95

By Mae Aanderson, Associated Press

NEW YORK — Elliot Handler, who with his wife grew Mattel from a small home-based picture-frame business into the largest U.S. toy maker and created the Hot Wheels brand, died on Thursday. He was 95.

The company first produced picture frames, but Handler started making dollhouse furniture and other wooden toys on the side from scraps. Mattel's first hit product was a "Uke-A-Doodle," a child-size ukulele and the Burp gun, a cap pistol.

Mattel's success took off after it made a gamble and bet its entire net worth at the time — $500,000 — on a sponsorship of Disney and ABC's "The Mickey Mouse Club." The show was a success and Mattel became a household name. Its annual sales grew from $5 million to $14 million in three years.

Handler's wife Ruth created the Barbie doll in 1959, naming it after their daughter. The doll quickly became an American icon and a touchstone of cultural politics. Today it is one of Mattel's best performing brands. Ruth died in 2002 at the age of 85. Ken was named after their son Kenneth, and other Barbie dolls were named after grandchildren.

In the 1960s, trying to create a toy that would be as big a success with boys as Barbie was with girls, Elliot hit upon an idea for miniature die-cast vehicles with sleek designs. Hot Wheels were introduced in 1968 and became a big hit.

Elliot and Ruth were named co-chairmen of Mattel's board in 1973 and left the company in 1975. The couple were the first living inductees to the Toy Industry Hall of Fame in 1989.

Handler was born in 1916, the second of four brothers, and grew up in Denver. He met Ruth in 1932 at the age of 17.

"We were very saddened to learn about the passing of Elliot Handler, the Mattel founder who created some of the world's most beloved toys," Mattel, based in El Segundo, California, said in a statement. "He not only inspired and delighted the employees of Mattel but generations of children around the world. The 30,000 employees of Mattel are proud to continue his legacy and love of play for generations to come. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family."

Handler is survived by his daughter Barbara Segal. His son Kenneth died in 1994 of a brain tumor.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2011-07-22-mattel-handler_n.htm

Dan

Subject: Re: Mattel co-founder, Hot Wheels creator dies at 95 (wife created Barbie Doll)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/11 at 7:14 pm

RIP, sir.  Millions of kids had a great time because of the stuff you made.  :)

I wonder if he is related to Chelsea Handler? ???

Subject: Re: Mattel co-founder, Hot Wheels creator dies at 95 (wife created Barbie Doll)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/11 at 9:39 pm

RIP, sir.  Millions of kids had a great time because of the stuff you made.   :)

Yup, I had Hot Wheels cars and my sister had Barbie dolls.

R.I.P. Mr. Handler.
:\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/23/11 at 8:12 am

Yup, I had Hot Wheels cars and my sister had Barbie dolls.

R.I.P. Mr. Handler.
:\'(

I think I had Hot Wheels when I was growing up.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/23/11 at 11:39 pm

Handler's wife Ruth created the Barbie doll in 1959, naming it after their daughter. The doll quickly became an American icon and a touchstone of cultural politics. Today it is one of Mattel's best performing brands. Ruth died in 2002 at the age of 85. Ken was named after their son Kenneth,

WAT.

Actually, that explains a lot about the TV shows, toys, and cartoons of the 80s and 90s.  The A-Team had enough ammo to flatten a small city, but nobody dies.  GI Joe shoots down a hundred planes, but there's a parachute in every frame.  TMNT knocks thousands of Foot soldiers unconscious, but never finish 'em.  And now we know why Barbie and Ken never quite sealed the deal.  And we're somewhat grateful.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/11 at 12:16 am

WAT.

Actually, that explains a lot about the TV shows, toys, and cartoons of the 80s and 90s.  The A-Team had enough ammo to flatten a small city, but nobody dies.  GI Joe shoots down a hundred planes, but there's a parachute in every frame.  TMNT knocks thousands of Foot soldiers unconscious, but never finish 'em.  And now we know why Barbie and Ken never quite sealed the deal.  And we're somewhat grateful.

OOOH!  I hadn't thought of that!
8-P

Well, being a curious seven-year-old, I sneaked into my sister's room where Barbie and Ken were to see, you know, what's up.  My cursory understanding of human anatomy even though told me neither one had the necessary equipment...
:-\\

Written By: Louise1978 on 07/24/11 at 4:15 am

RIP Elliott Handler.You made so many kids happy all around the world. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/24/11 at 7:11 am

8-P

Well, being a curious seven-year-old, I sneaked into my sister's room where Barbie and Ken were to see, you know, what's up.  My cursory understanding of human anatomy even though told me neither one had the necessary equipment...

You played with Barbie dolls?  ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/24/11 at 9:05 am

8-P

I think I did that too...

That'd be an odd way to tell your children about The Birds and the Bees. (Ken just has a Bump).

Back on topic...RIP Mr. Handler.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/24/11 at 6:56 pm

Back on topic...RIP Mr. Handler.

http://myundertaking.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/hotwheelshearse1.jpg

Indeed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/11 at 11:50 pm

http://myundertaking.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/hotwheelshearse1.jpg

Indeed.

Takes Ken to the funeral after he dies of AIDS.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/25/11 at 12:05 am

R.I.P. Mr. Handler, spent many a happy day making Barbie outfits out of terrycloth washclothes (Hey that was the only fabric I could find in the house.)  Ever see Barbie in a terrycloth ballgown?  It is a sight to behold.  Also spent many childhood hours painting my brothers Hot Wheels with my nail polish.  Some pretty cool colors too!  (Yes, he still talks to me.)  ;D

I used to have Barbie date G. I. Joe instead of Ken or any of his "crew".  I guess I always did dig military men.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/25/11 at 7:01 am

Takes Ken to the funeral after he dies of AIDS.

I would like to see them create a an AIDS Ken doll. ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/25/11 at 7:04 am

http://www.queerty.com/wp/docs/2011/03/kendollbug.jpg

Ken has a "sex change". ;D

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/25/11 at 12:53 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Handler, spent many a happy day making Barbie outfits out of terrycloth washclothes (Hey that was the only fabric I could find in the house.)  Ever see Barbie in a terrycloth ballgown?  It is a sight to behold.  Also spent many childhood hours painting my brothers Hot Wheels with my nail polish.  Some pretty cool colors too!  (Yes, he still talks to me.)  ;D

I used to have Barbie date G. I. Joe instead of Ken or any of his "crew".   I guess I always did dig military men.   ;D

I made something up where Ken was dating He-Man.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/25/11 at 4:18 pm

Those folks made ALOT of money off me in my childhood. I had dozens of Barbies AND Hot Wheels cars because I played with both as a kid. LOL. I went through three barbie motor homes and like 5 limos. LOL. My Barbie was a little Ivana Trump with all the crap she had. (And like 10 Kens for one Barbie, she was also Liz Taylor! LOL!)

Check for new replies or respond here...