inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock pioneer Jerry Leiber dies

Written By: Claybricks on 08/22/11 at 7:48 pm

Rock pioneer Jerry Leiber dies

Despite millions and millions of pieces of contrary evidence, Jerry Leiber insisted there was no magic behind his becoming half of the most famous songwriting team in early rock 'n' roll.

http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2011/08/22/rock-pioneer-jerry-leiber-dies-d5ajihb-x.jpg

Jerry Leiber helped compose some of the early rock era's most recognizable songs. He died Monday at the age of 78.

Leiber, who died Monday at 78 in Los Angeles, formed a partnership in 1950 with Mike Stoller, who survives him, that lasted the rest of his life and produced million-selling pop and R&B hits for Elvis Presley, Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, James Brown and The Coasters. But the origin of that career path was mundane.

Working as a 17-year-old busboy in an L.A. cafeteria, "I heard this music coming out of the radio and it was (Jimmy Witherspoon's) Ain't Nobody's Business," Leiber told USA TODAY in 2009. "It got me. I thought, 'I can do this.' I decided just like that. No romantic story."

Turns out the sly lyricist and the budding blues/jazz pianist Stoller, also 17, could do it quite well: Their 2009 autobiography Hound Dog tells of them hitting the charts in the USA or the U.K. 76 times from 1951 to 1998.

Elvis put them on the map with Hound Dog in 1956 and they followed with such iconic tunes as Is That All There Is? (written for Peggy Lee), Love Potion No. 9 (The Clovers), Kansas City (Wilbert Harrison) and Yakety Yak (The Coasters).

They were enshrined in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987. In May, American Idol's final four contestants sang the duo's songs, with Lady Gaga mentoring.

Reflecting on his career in 2009, Leiber said: "We always felt lucky that we were getting paid to laugh."

Subject: Re: Rock pioneer Jerry Leiber dies

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/24/11 at 12:38 pm

This is an American tragedy. The first Broadway show I ever saw was Smokey Joe's Cafe, which was a celebration of so many songs Lieber & Stoller composed for the doo-wop and R&B acts of the 50's & 60's. I have never forgotten how cool the show was, and I still have the soundtrack. I still get it out and play it at times, and I wonder how the original article could leave out so many of their greatest songs, such as "There Goes My Baby!", "On Broadway", "Charlie Brown", "Poison Ivy" and one that raced up the charts twice, 25 years apart, Ben E. King's "Stand By Me". RIP Jerry Lieber, thanks to all the music, you'll never be forgotten.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Subject: Re: Rock pioneer Jerry Leiber dies

Written By: danootaandme on 08/24/11 at 3:33 pm

Another American Original.    :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...