inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Motown executive Esther Gordy Edwards dies at 91

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/11 at 4:04 pm

Motown executive Esther Gordy Edwards - the sister of label founder Berry Gordy - has died at the age of 91.

She served as senior vice-president and was charged with exposing the unique Motown sound to international audiences.

She also led the efforts to turn Motown's original headquarters in Detroit into a museum.

Berry Gordy started the famed label, home to such artists as Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson, in 1959.

A statement on the Motown Museum's website said Edwards died "surrounded by family and friends" on 24 August.

Edwards - Gordy's eldest sister - held several positions within the label but is best known for turning Motown's famed Studio A in Detroit into an attraction after the company moved to Los Angeles.

Gordy called her "one of my biggest assets at Motown".

He said: "Esther turned the so-called trash left behind after I sold the company in 1988 into a phenomenal world-class monument."

She also worked with several of Motown's biggest artists through the years such as Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye

Stevie Wonder said in a statement: "She believed in me. When I was 14 years old and many other people didn't or could only see what they could at the time, she championed me being in Motown."

"I shared with her many of my songs first before anyone else," he added.

Subject: Re: Motown executive Esther Gordy Edwards dies at 91

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/28/11 at 7:55 am

This is sad!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  We recently had the good fortune to visit the Motown Museum in Detroit.  Her influence was found everywhere.

R.I.P. Esther Gordy Edwards - and thank you for helping make Motown the institution we all know and love.

Subject: Re: Motown executive Esther Gordy Edwards dies at 91

Written By: Howard on 08/28/11 at 2:27 pm

RIP Mrs.Gordy. :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...