inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV Pitchman Don Lapre Found Dead After Apparent Suicide

Written By: Claybricks on 10/03/11 at 7:49 pm

http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/45473-tv-pitchman-don-lapre-found-dead-after-apparent-suicide/1317683108_lapre-240.jpg

TV Pitchman Don Lapre Found Dead After Apparent Suicide

Celebrity News
October 3, 2011 AT 7:42PM
By Rebecca Macatee

TV pitchman Don Lapre was found dead after an apparent suicide in his jail cell Sunday morning, CBS News reports. The 47-year-old had been charged with 41 counts of conspiracy mail fraud, wire fraud and promotional money laundering with his company "The Greatest Vitamin in the World."

PHOTOS: Stars gone too soon

According to CBS, the self-proclaimed "King of Infomercials" was found dead only a few days before his $52 million fraud trial was set to begin.

Lapre's infomercials had been parodied on Saturday Night Live as well as mocked on the Late Show with David Letterman.

PHOTOS: More celebs we've lost

If convicted, he would have faced between $250,000 to $500,000 per count and five to 25 years in federal prison.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/news/tv-pitchman-don-lapre-found-dead-after-apparent-suicide-2011310

Dan

Subject: Re: TV Pitchman Don Lapre Found Dead After Apparent Suicide

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/11 at 8:25 pm

RIP

Now I can trust the guy!

Written By: Claybricks on 10/03/11 at 8:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubCkCAEiDQ

Dan

Written By: Howard on 10/04/11 at 6:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubCkCAEiDQ

Dan

He seems like a con-artist to me. ::)

Written By: King Tut on 10/04/11 at 12:51 pm

He seems like a con-artist to me. ::)

He was in jail, charged with 41 counts of conspiracy mail fraud, wire fraud and promotional money laundering with his company, and his $52 million fraud trial was set to begin.
He didn't want to spend up to 25 years in jail. He chose another way out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 4:59 pm

He was in jail, charged with 41 counts of conspiracy mail fraud, wire fraud and promotional money laundering with his company, and his $52 million fraud trial was set to begin.
He didn't want to spend up to 25 years in jail. He chose another way out.

Maybe he could sell some vitamin pills to the warden!
8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/11 at 5:11 pm

I thought I knew all the TV pitchmen.  I do not recognize him

What I wanna know is when Kevin Trudeau or Peter Popoff are going to kick the bucket

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 5:19 pm

I thought I knew all the TV pitchmen.  I do not recognize him

What I wanna know is when Kevin Trudeau or Peter Popoff are going to kick the bucket

I can't believe Peter Popoff is still around!
::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/11 at 5:29 pm

I can't believe Peter Popoff is still around!
::)

All the old ladies he scammed in the 80s have all passed on, so he's got a whole new fresh batch he can take money from.

I really want to know what his Miracle Manna tastes like.  I wanna have myself a "Scam" Sandwich and maybe some Miracle Spring Water to wash it down ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvrknxh6bU

Written By: King Tut on 10/04/11 at 5:33 pm

8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 6:12 pm

All the old ladies he scammed in the 80s have all passed on, so he's got a whole new fresh batch he can take money from.

I really want to know what his Miracle Manna tastes like.  I wanna have myself a "Scam" Sandwich and maybe some Miracle Spring Water to wash it down ;D

Popoff and his family are still stinking rich.  Sell the sizzle, not the steak.  That's what Don Lapre didn't learn!

Written By: Howard on 10/04/11 at 7:36 pm

This looks like a BS commercial.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/11 at 10:56 pm

I really want to know what his Miracle Manna tastes like.  

Well then, just get down and praise the Lord, NTTAWWT!  (Disclaimer: I'm not the Lord.  I might be flattered someone mistook me as such, but wouldn't want the job even if offered, NTTAWWT either :)  

Popoff?  As for him, I pray to whatever Gods may exist that Popoff's god does exist, and is as every bit as just as his victims imagine He/She/It to be.

But Lapre?  I never thought I'd mourn Don Lapre.  But knowing that he was depressed enough to commit suicide qualifies as more-than-adequate-overkill in the karmic retribution department.  Sure, he was a scammer and a fraudster, but at least I could change the damn channel when the guy in the question-mark suit showed up.  And by that token, he was a hell of a lot more polite than the spammers who followed him.

If convicted, he would have faced between $250,000 to $500,000 per count and five to 25 years in federal prison.

So RIP, Don.  You sucked, your scams sucked, and yeah, those are reasonable charges and penalties for your life of fraud.  You did suck hard enough to earn $250-500K per count and 5-25 years behind bars.  But depression to the point of suicide?  I'll raise a toast out of respect when it comes your choice to go out on your own terms (and as a taxpayer, thanks for saving us a few bucks, because those fines would barely have covered the cost of your imprisonment!), but as hard as you sucked, you didn't suck that hard.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 11:06 pm

Well then, just get down and praise the Lord, NTTAWWT!  (Disclaimer: I'm not the Lord.  I might be flattered someone mistook me as such, but wouldn't want the job even if offered, NTTAWWT either :)  

Popoff?  As for him, I pray to whatever Gods may exist that Popoff's god does exist, and is as every bit as just as his victims imagine He/She/It to be.

But Lapre?  I never thought I'd mourn Don Lapre.  But knowing that he was depressed enough to commit suicide qualifies as more-than-adequate-overkill in the karmic retribution department.  Sure, he was a scammer and a fraudster, but at least I could change the damn channel when the guy in the question-mark suit showed up.  And by that token, he was a hell of a lot more polite than the spammers who followed him.

So RIP, Don.  You sucked, your scams sucked, and yeah, those are reasonable charges and penalties for your life of fraud.  You did suck hard enough to earn $250-500K per count and 5-25 years behind bars.  But depression to the point of suicide?  I'll raise a toast out of respect when it comes your choice to go out on your own terms (and as a taxpayer, thanks for saving all of us a few bucks!), but as hard as you sucked, you didn't suck that hard.

I dunno how well Lapre would have played on the inside.  "'I was selling bogus vitamin pills.'  And they all moved away from him on the Group W bench!"

They should make a movie about this guy.  Sort of like "The Producers," only about the health products con!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumright.gif

"Well, I believes a little lesser in Petie now."
-- Popoff parishioner interviewed after James Randi busted Popoff's faith healing racket.

Check for new replies or respond here...