inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Steve Jobs has Died

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/05/11 at 6:45 pm

Just saw this at Yahoo.

RIP, Steve.  :\'(  Thanks for 35 years of cool technology and style.  :)

Subject: Re: Steve Jobs has Died

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/11 at 6:53 pm

This is really sad news.  I was never a fan of Apple technology, but they did help shape what we have today.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/11 at 7:25 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

I though Mr. Jobs was going to die soon, but I didn't think it would be so soon.

Jobs was a captain of industry and a cultural icon.  He lived the quintessential American Dream.  He started a business in his garage and became a billionaire whose contributions to technology and marketing has influenced us all. 

It's sad to lose Steve Jobs at the age of 56, but WOW, what a life!

Written By: King Tut on 10/05/11 at 7:33 pm

Very sad news.

http://www.fix6.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/broken-apple1.png

Written By: Brian06 on 10/05/11 at 8:04 pm

Heartbreaking news, just saw this on my phone.  :\'( RIP Steve Jobs, he was a great man and changed the world in many ways.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/05/11 at 9:21 pm

This is very sad!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

He was so influential!  How we will miss him.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/05/11 at 9:30 pm

This is heartbreaking, I will not deny, and I have eternal respect for Steve Jobs. Unfortunately, this may be the wake-up call our society requires. We need more people working on cures for cancer and fighting hunger far more urgently than people creating more and more ridiculous gadgets to fit in our pocket, while making obsolete the one that was perfectly good less than a year ago! I hope pointless innovation does not go so far as to create more techno-junk so quickly that the creations of Steve are too soon forgotten!

Nevertheless, Steve was a good and gifted man who worked tirelessly to advance humanity in the fields of communication and education through his innovative spirit and business savvy. He truly changed the world in ways comparable to geniuses before him like Martin Luther King, Walt Disney, Albert Einstein, Robert Heinlein, Henry Ford, and many others who changed the way we see the world, or at least found a better way to make it work. Farewell and Thank You, Steve. I pray that your brilliance will shine on to inspire generations to come!

Y
our Pal,
Doc
:\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/11 at 9:35 pm

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/11 at 9:41 pm

This is heartbreaking, I will not deny, and I have eternal respect for Steve Jobs. Unfortunately, this may be the wake-up call our society requires. We need more people working on cures for cancer and fighting hunger far more urgently than people creating more and more ridiculous gadgets to fit in our pocket, while making obsolete the one that was perfectly good less than a year ago! I hope pointless innovation does not go so far as to create more techno-junk so quickly that the creations of Steve are too soon forgotten!

Nevertheless, Steve was a good and gifted man who worked tirelessly to advance humanity in the fields of communication and education through his innovative spirit and business savvy. He truly changed the world in ways comparable to geniuses before him like Martin Luther King, Walt Disney, Albert Einstein, Robert Heinlein, Henry Ford, and many others who changed the way we see the world, or at least found a better way to make it work. Farewell and Thank You, Steve. I pray that your brilliance will shine on to inspire generations to come!

Y
our Pal,
Doc

Karma +1

Written By: nally on 10/05/11 at 10:30 pm

This is really sad. And he was only 56. :\'( :\'(

He was so influential!  How we will miss him.

He sure was...

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/11 at 1:20 am

:\'( :\'(

He change our way of life and work patterns

Written By: Creeder on 10/06/11 at 1:29 am

R.I.P.
One of the last great capitalists!

Written By: Howard on 10/06/11 at 6:56 am

RIP Steve Jobs you were truly an innovator of what Apple is today.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/11 at 11:23 am

I don't think that I even own any Apple products (and I even uninstalled Quicktime off of my computer because it was messing some things up). That being said, I recognize Steve's genius and how he basically revolutionized the computer world. They are putting him in the same category as Thomas Edison and rightly so.

Cancer is a terrible thing. I'm sure that Steve would have had much more ideas for humankind had he not been stuck down so soon. I wish his family peace.

Steve Jobs is going to live forever!

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/11 at 4:47 pm

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs I wouldn't be here with all you guys.  He brought the world to our living rooms, and his technology will help us make it a better world, if we use it right.  RIP Steve...RIP  :\'( 

Written By: Howard on 10/06/11 at 7:52 pm

I guess Apple should move on and maybe find a new person or maybe wait a while? ???

Written By: joeman on 10/07/11 at 8:30 am

RIP.  If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have become a Computer Engineer.  One of my first computers I ever used was an Apple II.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/11 at 7:50 pm

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0809/ipod-10-apple-ipod-steve-jobs-humor-funny-doris-demotivational-poster-1222495079.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/11 at 8:15 pm

http://www.demilked.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/apple-logo-steve-jobs-silhouette-thumb290.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/11 at 8:17 pm

I guess Apple should move on and maybe find a new person or maybe wait a while? ???

Are you suggesting perhaps a Steve Jobs 2.0 ? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/07/11 at 8:24 pm

Are you suggesting perhaps a Steve Jobs 2.0 ? ???

maybe Steve Wozniak.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/11 at 8:46 pm

maybe Steve Wozniak.

Yes he would be an excellent choice.  He was the sole designer of the Apple I.  And he'd be a popular favorite.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/11 at 11:21 pm

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YaVqpVeW7Aw/To0KfxJ0kTI/AAAAAAAAGpg/4jPLNZjDGrY/s0/ripsteve.jpg

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square hole. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

- Apple Computer, Inc.

D1R-jKKp3NA

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, the results of other peoples' thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

- Steve Jobs, commencement address to Stanford, ca. 2005.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/11 at 12:03 am

All right, all right, all right.  There's only so much romanticizing I can stand.

Mr. Jobs did not cotton to misfits and rebels working for him.  He was a taskmaster who demanded obedience and loyalty.

Mr. Jobs was not anti-establishment, merely neo-establishment.   He thought outside the box only to create the new boxes in which the rest of us shall think.

Mr. Jobs was not a visionary in the spiritual sense.  He was a visionary in the business sense.  Henry Ford, not Gandhi.  

Mr. Jobs' breakthroughs improved business and individual interface with computers.  Jobs' technology answers no questions about the collective needs of the human race.  He was a Bill Gates, not a Buckminster Fuller.  

Mr. Jobs was a genius in marketing, planned obsolescence, and exploiting consumer covetousness.  He was brilliant at establishing name brand loyalty.  He new from the start how to make each new upgrade look like a leap forward in technology, not the slick PR campaign it always was.

Mr. Jobs made his products for cheap in China and sold them for big bucks in the West.  

Mr. Jobs was a a captain of industry.  Captains of industry from Carnegie, to Rockefeller, to Gates have both admirable qualities and ruthless methods.  We do ourselves and the memory of Mr. Jobs no service by canonizing him as more groovy than the rest of the billionaire.

Written By: Claybricks on 10/08/11 at 12:06 am

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YaVqpVeW7Aw/To0KfxJ0kTI/AAAAAAAAGpg/4jPLNZjDGrY/s0/ripsteve.jpg

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square hole. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

- Apple Computer, Inc.

D1R-jKKp3NA

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, the results of other peoples' thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Thanks Foo Bar!

Excellent!

Dan

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/11 at 2:14 am

Mr. Jobs' breakthroughs improved business and individual interface with computers.  Jobs' technology answers no questions about the collective needs of the human race.  He was a Bill Gates, not a Buckminster Fuller.  

No argument on many of those points.  One of his first move was to screw Woz over pretty hard.  By all accounts he wasn't fun to work for.

But on that I'll call you.  The Apple ]Toy Story was just a warmup, he came back to a company and cranked out an MP3 player that was more about playing DRM-locked AACs than MP3s.  Sure, it had No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame..  But at the time, RIAA was on the verge of shutting down the entire digital music industry by suing the manufacturers of MP3 players.  But through the magic of the Reality Distortion Field, Jobs used iTunes' support for AAC as a wedge, and a few years later - never mind iTunes and AAC - but Amazon and other music retailers were able to sell real MP3s.

Then he did it all over again with cell phones.  Remember the "feature phones" where the only applications were those that cellular carrier decided it could charge you for?  Paying a buck for a ringtone that you got off your own computer?  Yeah, I remember that, and it sucked.  Then came the iPhone - no, AT&T, you don't get to control what software goes on the phones that connect to your network, you sell data provisioning, nothing more.  Personally, I roll with Android, but I still thank Jobs.  Without the iPhone breaking AT&T's lock on the both the hardware and the software, Google wouldn't have had the leverage to twist Verizon's arm even harder with the Droid.  As recently as five years ago, it cost thousands of dollars to write something as simple as a fart app for a mobile phone, and therefore, nobody wrote any.  Whether it costs $100 for an iThingy, or $0.00 for an Android device, doesn't matter.  Maybe the world's better off without fart apps, but do you really want to pay your wireless provider $5/day for the privilege of using the built-in GPS device to seeing where you are on a map?

I don't own any current Apple gear, because I'm opposed to vendor lock-in.  But my personal tastes don't change the fact that Jobs changed the way we consume media.  And in a society in which one's choice of media is a convenient stand-in for one's values and identity, isn't that about as big a change as anyone can hope to make?

Written By: Howard on 10/08/11 at 6:57 am

Yes he would be an excellent choice.  He was the sole designer of the Apple I.  And he'd be a popular favorite.  :)

But which Steve was the more popular one? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/08/11 at 7:00 am

- Apple Computer, Inc.

D1R-jKKp3NA

Thanks Foo.

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/08/11 at 4:10 pm

Max, Foo, Howard, now let's be fair. I don't think anyone is trying to beatify Steve here.

Yes, the man was a Capitalist, but if you want to turn your vision into a reality, you kinda have to be. And being a Capitalist is not necessarily a bad thing, at its most basic, Capitalism is simply financial Democracy. Besides, of all the money he raised, most of it went to fund the next step in Steve's vision, and while no one thinks of him as a Saint, there is no denying that the man was a Visionary.

Yes, the man was a ruthless, savvy businessman, but don't paint him as a Mr. Spacely tyrant who stormed through the plant on a bad market day, pointing willy-nilly at the working stiffs and shouting "you're fired!". I am fairly sure that stereotype died with Samuel Goldwyn.

And finally, I must take issue with Max's last statement. Jobs no more 'groovy' than the other billionaires? Seriously, have any of those other suits had any innovations with as enormous an impact on our daily lives? When was the last one... Ford? Wright? Edison? Think about it.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: 80sfan on 10/08/11 at 6:03 pm

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4651209023_531c593725_o.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/11 at 11:34 pm

No argument on many of those points.  One of his first move was to screw Woz over pretty hard.  By all accounts he wasn't fun to work for.

But on that I'll call you.  The Apple ]Toy Story was just a warmup, he came back to a company and cranked out an MP3 player that was more about playing DRM-locked AACs than MP3s.  Sure, it had No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame..  But at the time, RIAA was on the verge of shutting down the entire digital music industry by suing the manufacturers of MP3 players.  But through the magic of the Reality Distortion Field, Jobs used iTunes' support for AAC as a wedge, and a few years later - never mind iTunes and AAC - but Amazon and other music retailers were able to sell real MP3s.

Then he did it all over again with cell phones.  Remember the "feature phones" where the only applications were those that cellular carrier decided it could charge you for?  Paying a buck for a ringtone that you got off your own computer?  Yeah, I remember that, and it sucked.  Then came the iPhone - no, AT&T, you don't get to control what software goes on the phones that connect to your network, you sell data provisioning, nothing more.  Personally, I roll with Android, but I still thank Jobs.  Without the iPhone breaking AT&T's lock on the both the hardware and the software, Google wouldn't have had the leverage to twist Verizon's arm even harder with the Droid.  As recently as five years ago, it cost thousands of dollars to write something as simple as a fart app for a mobile phone, and therefore, nobody wrote any.  Whether it costs $100 for an iThingy, or $0.00 for an Android device, doesn't matter.  Maybe the world's better off without fart apps, but do you really want to pay your wireless provider $5/day for the privilege of using the built-in GPS device to seeing where you are on a map?

I don't own any current Apple gear, because I'm opposed to vendor lock-in.  But my personal tastes don't change the fact that Jobs changed the way we consume media.  And in a society in which one's choice of media is a convenient stand-in for one's values and identity, isn't that about as big a change as anyone can hope to make?

Okay, I'll take the Apple II above the TRS-80!  Before the Apple II having all you could do with a home computer was learn how to use it until it crashed and then learn how to get it running again.  I also remember typing in tedious strings of commands before GUI.  I thought, people who like to do this sh*t are either very boring or very dangerous or both. 

I have a PC and an Android Smartphone (recently upgraded from a 2005 flip phone with no camera; the Smartphone is 10 times the phone I need). 

I don't use all those Apps.  I resent being told I need things I don't need.  Hence, my hatred for marketing in general. 

Western civilization would have stumbled along just the same without Pixar, fun though it is. 

Vendor lock-in does have the advantage of protection from malware and all those obnoxious "updates" for this and that, does it not?

Doc, I agree Tom Edison was not groovy (see stories of him killing dogs with AC current), but he was a hundred times the inventor Steve Jobs was. 

There is nothing democratic about capitalism.  Democracy is one man one vote.  Capitalism is one buck one vote.  Right now we live in a buckocracy. 
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/09/11 at 5:48 pm

Okay, I'll take the Apple II above the TRS-80!  Before the Apple II having all you could do with a home computer was learn how to use it until it crashed and then learn how to get it running again.  I also remember typing in tedious strings of commands before GUI.  I thought, people who like to do this sh*t are either very boring or very dangerous or both. 

You sure you're not confusing the Mac with the Apple ]raw hex digits into RAM and telling the CPU to run 'em.  It came with schematics sufficient to reproduce the hardware and commented source code for the ROMs.  It had slots, and combined with bare-metal access and full schematics, the intent was that users would be able to design and build their own expansion cards for it.  (And thank you, because yes, we assembly nerds were both!) 

When the Mac came out, you needed a Programmer's Key to do so much as hit the reset button.  Which was where, despite having the only usable GUI, and coolest paint program, and only easily-usable desktop publishing applications, Apple lost me as a customer.  The Mac was a machine for the rest of us.  Desktop publishing answered a huge untapped need in the business world, and while I enjoyed working on it (and was more productive on one than I would have been on anything else available at the time), I never actually purchased one.

There is nothing democratic about capitalism.  Democracy is one man one vote.  Capitalism is one buck one vote.  Right now we live in a buckocracy.   ::)

Jobs was a capitalist.  That's a compliment, not an insult.  Because he really was a capitalist.  No public-sector bailouts.  Just build a better mousetrap and let the mice beat a path to your door, screaming "shaddap and take my money!" :)  The only bailout Apple ever accepted was in 1997 when Microsoft - scared of antitrust regulations - invested $150M in non-voting stock in Apple as part of a patent license exchange.  One buck, one vote?  Try 150,000,000 bucks, no votes. 

When Apple's products became closed, I stopped buying them.  But they were - and are - examples of the best design and engineering available on earth.  Every time I get my hands on one, I know that the competing products, while somewhat more open, are going to take a year or two to catch up, and that the open source community is at least 3-5 years behind Apple in terms of usability.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/11 at 12:10 am

You sure you're not confusing the Mac with the Apple ]raw hex digits into RAM and telling the CPU to run 'em.  It came with schematics sufficient to reproduce the hardware and commented source code for the ROMs.  It had slots, and combined with bare-metal access and full schematics, the intent was that users would be able to design and build their own expansion cards for it.  (And thank you, because yes, we assembly nerds were both!)  

Yeah, I think I got them mixed up.

The family's first computer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Apple_iie.jpg/450px-Apple_iie.jpg

It doesn't seem like much nowadays, but in 1983 it was, like,wow, we have a home computer!

No mouse even -- I didn't use a mouse until I went up to my dad's in the summer of '89.

My dad and my brother-in-law both had these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FTeDjk33tKg/Tlq9DgXk9QI/AAAAAAAAAww/5cFbAdvuxRE/s1600/324359394_577f228500_z.jpg

I had my brother-in-law's hand-me-down Mac Plus running as late as 1999.  It died.  All it would do is show the little startup face on the screen.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w8vqboLcuPw/TF3NoeO-t2I/AAAAAAAAALY/IySWHzECjow/s1600/Smile+Mac+Icon.jpg

I gave it to the Mac geek down the street to cannibalize.  He probably got it running again, but it was like running a Model-T by then -- for enthusiasts only.

Then I got one of these for xmas:

http://www.onedigitallife.com/images/lime-imac.jpg

Had a dial-up Internet connection.  Slow pr0n is better than no pr0n.  

I've had PCs since 2002.  I used to work from home so I had to be able to talk to the godawful corporate world, which I couldn't do with a Mac.  

Written By: Howard on 10/14/11 at 6:41 am

Yeah, I think I got them mixed up.

The family's first computer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Apple_iie.jpg/450px-Apple_iie.jpg

It doesn't seem like much nowadays, but in 1983 it was, like,wow, we have a home computer!

No mouse even -- I didn't use a mouse until I went up to my dad's in the summer of '89.

My dad and my brother-in-law both had these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FTeDjk33tKg/Tlq9DgXk9QI/AAAAAAAAAww/5cFbAdvuxRE/s1600/324359394_577f228500_z.jpg

I had my brother-in-law's hand-me-down Mac Plus running as late as 1999.  It died.  All it would do is show the little startup face on the screen.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w8vqboLcuPw/TF3NoeO-t2I/AAAAAAAAALY/IySWHzECjow/s1600/Smile+Mac+Icon.jpg

I gave it to the Mac geek down the street to cannibalize.  He probably got it running again, but it was like running a Model-T by then -- for enthusiasts only.

Then I got one of these for xmas:

http://www.onedigitallife.com/images/lime-imac.jpg

Had a dial-up Internet connection.  Slow pr0n is better than no pr0n.  

I've had PCs since 2002.  I used to work from home so I had to be able to talk to the godawful corporate world, which I couldn't do with a Mac.  

Those are some cool computers.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/11 at 6:42 am

Who would portray Steve Jobs if a film was made? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/11 at 3:24 pm

Who would portray Steve Jobs if a film was made? ???

Tom Cruise with a beard.  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/11 at 4:11 pm

Richard Dreyfuss is my choice.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/11 at 7:31 pm

Richard Dreyfuss is my choice.

That would be my choice too.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/15/11 at 9:07 pm

Leave Nicole Kidman out of this, pal!

Check for new replies or respond here...